The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

There was a really nice tie someone should jump on.

It was a navy 100% cashmere (I'm pretty sure) knit tie from Cucinelli. MSRP of $275, down to $99.

Not an amazing price, but pretty good for a staple casual tie.

Best deal I ever got there was a pair of G&Gs for $180 + tax and corneliani knit ties for $4.99.

What's the best deal you guy ever found there?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Nothing close to that good. I've gotten some really nice Drake's pocket squares for $20.

3. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

Fed Ex called, and I owe them... get ready for it... $45!! Very Happy, and yeah, the Jackets came from frieschskys's EBay store and even after Shipping and 'Customs' will end up at about 45% of what I'd have spent at Harry Rosen, although I will have to spend a bit more for tailoring. I'll be keeping an eye on that seller going forward.

My best deal at the outlet? My first grown up piece of menswear was my go to Navy Blazer by Samuelsohn at Heartland for $400. Not an Earth Shaking price but a great deal on one of THE staple items.

4. othertravel

Nice purchases, Bill. Next time you should contact them through their website, not eBay store. Prices 10% cheaper!

5. Deoraby

Deoraby Active Member

Thanks to all who suggested Xavier Tailors for suit alterations. I picked up two never-worn Samuelson suits in a Kingston thrift store ($10 for the two piece, $15 for the three piece) and Mr Xavier converted them from a dated style that was far too big for me into two well tailored suits. Not spectacularly cheap ($390 for both, all in) but they needed a great deal of work (waist suppression, sleeves shortened, pants shortened and slimmed),, so a fair price, I think.

Looking at his work I am now kicking myself that I didn't pick up the other three never worn Sammy's (donated by the same estate, I imagine, but in increasingly larger sizes....) that I left behind because I assumed that they would be beyond the scope of a tailor to make them fit.

6. othertravel

Hey guys,

Just stopped by Harry's on bloor, and they got some great silk/wool solid grenadines from Altea Milano (supposed maker of RLPL ties).

They retail for $110, which is a great price (the quality on Altea ties is pretty solid - again, RLPL).

They had black, navy, blue, and some other ones.

7. FineDining

FineDining Member

Hello all,

A native Torontonian here, now living in the US, but possibly returning home soon! I've enjoyed discovering SF.

A highlight of a summer visit was Leatherfoot. Wow, what a store! The service was exemplary, and I ordered a pair of MTO Saint-Crispins.

Yet, I was told six to eight weeks for delivery. I'm bothered, and slightly worried, that it is the fifth month of waiting now, and there is no pro-active communication from the store. I've of course contacted them.

I'm also curious about OTR shirt tailoring - are there any Toronto retailers who will work on not just the sleeve length of their products, but truly making shirts fit? I've bought Charvet shirts at Saks, and was amazed by the added value a tailor can bring.

Thank you.

8. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

you're in luck, StC and Leatherfoot are running their trunk show this weekend.
    I suggest you call and find out, Carr is in the house til Saturday.

9. tricky

tricky Senior member

RE: OTR tailoring, Trend does full bespoke and I've been very impressed with the quality of work at a fair price.

Otherwise for tailoring there's Jean Paul at Yonge and Lawrence.

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

5 months is way out of line for St. C. As suggested above, call today and speak with Philip.

11. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Has anyone stepped into Woolridge shoes yet at Commerce Court? They only carry Loake?

BTW, Winners/Marshalls (multiple locations) just restocked with a ton of Corneliani (all three lines) two pieces, outerwear etc and also RLBL. Also had this nice Loro Piana superfine wool overcoat for $500, made in Italy, unknown maker. Lots of good picks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  12. MoNum

MoNum Active Member

You guys are lucky out there. In Alberta its usually full of Hilfiger or Chaps crap.

I'll have to check it out when I'm there next time.

13. hrv123

hrv123 Senior member

Anyone have any info on the new Leatherfoot mystery bespoke tailor? Looking at their instagram, there are a few pieces on a mannequin from an Aston Martin (I believe) event that look good.

14. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Which locations?

15. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I stopped by Woolridge Shoes a few weeks ago, it's a nice little store, for now they only stock Loake but Ivor is planning to carry Cheaney later this fall. I got my eye on a pair of Loake country brogues in mahogany.