The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Totally agree. Canali is typically perceived to be "ultimate" for white collar Canadian dudes, however I think this is just b/c it is among the fanciest and definitely the most plentiful high-end line Rosen carries.

A few boutiques in Yorkville break the mold (VHazelton) with other global +high-end makers...but the sticker shock is too horrendous for me. Most are bespoke only too anyway.

2. jokb

jokb Senior member

Does any one have a pair of Vass shoes that are not maintained that I can borrow for a weekend? I just need it for display. I need one that looks really dry and colour wearing off. As thanks, I'll shine it at no cost. You can PM me.

3. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

I dropped by Leatherfoot earlier. The Galway and Dover are coming in Nov.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

5. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Took a couple of pictures of what they have now. Sorry for the poor quality pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

7. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

very good question :nodding:

8. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

If I remember correctly, the models currently available are around $1500. The Dover and Galway are high $1700.

John also mentioned that the Carmina are coming in on Wed (restock of existing offering) and Alden are coming in Oct.

9. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Damn. Thanks for the info.

10. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Is Leatherfoot pricing comparable to buying from Skoak with the tax/duty? Sorry to bring back your painful memory...

11. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Noooo, I swear I forgot about it..

With duties and taxes my Doak/Walnut CC Galways from Skoak were around $1630 CAD. I was lucky with my Rosewood CC Galways that only cost me $1250 CAD (not from Skoak but still).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

12. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Is it just me, or do 97% of classic menswear stores in the GTA carry the same 25~ brands?

I've been compiling a list of menswear stores in the GTA and it's as it's as if every store sells Alberto, Strellson, Coppley, John Varvatos, etc. I imagine it's a matter of selling what you think will sell best: after all, businesses need to make money. I also don't expect every store to be a Bogart or a Nicolas and carry numerous different labels not seen anywhere else. Yet I just wish that we had better brand diversity.
    - Kaledioscopik

@Kaledioscopik, Alas it's the tyranny of group think amongst menswear stores, I don't get it either. I look at independent menswear stores in NYC and Chicago and while they ply the same price points, they seem to have a much more diverse brand portfolio. My theory is the local independents take their cues somewhat from Harry Rosen and merchandise accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

13. EssenceofTao

EssenceofTao Active Member

When I do the math, Skoak is cheaper IF you don't get dinged for duty. You'd save ~$80 on Carmina' non-exotic shoes. If you do get hit by duty, it's roughly the same price as Leatherfoot. So you may save up to $80, but based on recent posts it seems likely that you'd get hit by duty. The benefit right now to ordering from Skoak or Carmina direct is that they have a decent amount of models in stock while Leatherfoot is getting a restock, which will probably be at the new higher price. I believe it was implied that it would be a 20%-30% increase.

14. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

What about EG via Brooks Brothers?

15. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

Last time I went by the Brooks Brothers @ RBC they had the galways in stock. Can't quite recall the exact makeup (I believe DOAK), but price was somewhere around $1700 plus tax. I believe that also includes the trees.
    They seem to have quite a good selection of EG at Brooks Brothers now, must have had a restock recently.
    For all interested, I spoke to a sales person at Robert Jones and he said EG will have a trunk show sometime in November, could post here once I get a word from him if anyone is interested. There are also a few EG pairs left in larger sizes at great prices.