1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Distinguished Member

Good data.

Im so happy w live in a country where the province runs not only essential services but wine sales....obv there'd be some amazing wine emporiums all over GTA and ON if they gave up that ridiculous ripoff monopoly.

2. jokb

jokb Senior Member

If you're going, let me know. I should have a discount code.

I got a booth for the expo, not sure yet where my booth will be located though.

3. Firefox

Firefox Senior Member

I regularly wear a couple of AE belts that I bought to match my AE shoes. I ordered them through the forums when the Canadian dollar was stronger, and I think I ended up paying around $50 or so each (but that didn't include shipping as I was also ordering shoes at the time). They've held up well, are of good quality, and match my shoes perfectly. My father recently gave be a box with three belts as a gift (they are the kind that you punch yourself so that they are custom-fitted). I'll probably start wearing those when these wear out, but they've served me well.

I've had a few things done at Magic Tailor. They did a decent job at a decent price.

+1. Unless you are looking for something pretty fancy/special, the Bay on Queen has a decent selection of men's socks (dress and casual).

+1. I remember a couple years ago when a menswear store in downtown Toronto had an Allen Edmonds promotion. They were selling any AE shoe in CAD at the USD price listed on the AE website (probably in an effort to compete with online shopping). If they didn't have it in stock, they would order it and still honour the USD price. Those were the days...

Summerhill always has an excellent selection of everything (wine, whisky, beer, etc.). Queen's Quay is good too, though. Queen's Quay is also one of the locations where the LCBO sell off discontinued stock, so you can (gasp) actually find a few things on sale for more than a dollar or two. My regular store is the Leaside location (i.e. Eglinton and Laird). It's also pretty good, although not quite on par with Summerhill or QQ.

Another option is to subscribe to the WineAlign newsletters. They pre-review the new releases every couple weeks, so it's a good "heads up" in case there's anything you're interested in.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

4. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior Member

If anyone is interested, I'm told that the SuitSupply in Yorkville will have their F/W stock in-store on Wednesday.

5. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

This may be a question for the Skoak thread, but does anyone know if you're subject to NY sales tax when shipping from Europe to NYC? I realize this would be in addition to 8.5% in duties...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

6. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior Member

Agree with above.

The best stores are the ones that get Flagstore Exclusives

7. Steel28

Steel28 Distinguished Member

A miracle happened today. Gents at Skoak sent me an extra pair of boot laces for my EG and it arrived by FedEx with 0 duties and HST. I was expecting around $80 charges LOL.

8. mister_nostyle

mister_nostyle Well-Known Member

Except that when you buy locally, there is no chance of additional complications due to any kind of problem leading to returns / exchanges. I would be even willing to pay a slight premium to buy locally if it means I can see and touch my item upfront and not worry about any kind of shipping damage or yokel from the CBSA opening the box to inspect it, etc.

9. jokb

jokb Senior Member

Yes, if you ship it to NY from skoak, you get hit with US customs fee and their taxes but this is if customs catches it. Not sure what the duty is for US though.

10. SirReveller

Pretty sure everyone on here was aware of the big Sherway reno. Nothing in here is surprising (same designers as always) but I look fwd to checking out this new Rosen nonetheless...
    [​IMG]
    ...mostly I am just flattered Larry took the time to write me a letter and put it in their marketing mag :p ;)

11. hrv123

hrv123 Senior Member

Does anyone here even shop at Harry Rosen anymore? Prices seem so far out there and are getting worse.

It really hit me when I found the same Boglioli K Jacket that I had just bought online for $500 all in listed at $1695 plus tax.

12. SirReveller

Ive never bought anything full price at a Rosen.

eg the shirt sale at all locations recently. ETON shirt for $180 or something instead of $275? Yes please. I checked around and the independents dont do better sales here.

..and so forth.

Obv Vaughan Mills/Heartland is all sale/all the time too of course. More sh*t tho to sift through...which is part of the fun :p

13. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Distinguished Member

I haven't set foot in a Harry Rosen store in years, I get sticker shock from just visiting their site.

14. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior Member

All these customs fee reports are scaring me: my Carmina GMTO from Skoak should be coming in this month... I don't think I'll be hit as hard as some of you gentlemen, if only because Camina is cheaper.
    Quote:Ahh, gotcha.
    Quote:I'm fairly certain that I can attend on Friday. Is that discount code still valid? Cool to hear that you will be exhibiting at the show. I hope the additional exposure is worth the expense.
    Quote:I still browse Harry Rosen from time to time, usually during my breaks. I sometimes find myself chatting with the older salespeople if I get a good vibe from them. However, only when there's a sale going on do I even consider buying anything. I've been wanting to figure out my Isaia sizing for a while now (I assume that I'm a 46 IT but I want to be certain) but I haven't had the heart to do so without at least buying something else while I'm at it. I'd otherwise feel guilty from "showrooming".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

15. jokb

jokb Senior Member

It should still be valid. I'll PM you when I've verified.

I'm excited at exhibiting at the show, I hope that the additional expense is worth it. If I can generate enough interest for possible Vass MTO's then it's a win in my books.
    I'll also have my entire inventory on display.