• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you fellows get your shoe trees? I need four pairs at the moment, but I'd rather not pay $30 a pair ..

Jos A. Banks just had them on sale for $10 each. $15 for us Canucks, but with currency conversion, shipping, taxes and duties (all calculated at checkout), it's not such a great deal anymore.

I'm headed to NY next month, so I chose to ship to a store and paid with my US Dollar Visa. I bought six pairs. I haven't used their trees, but IMO, I haven't noticed any difference between AE, Rochester, BB, etc. I think they're all in the same ball park quality wise. If you want to spend money, then obviously the next step up should be lasted/hollowed trees.

Last edited:

jokb

Reaction score

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Novelty charges about $25 for a pair? I can't remember exactly what he told me when I went in for some laces

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Just got the belts. The value was stated at US$100 and the customs/tax bill was C$58.
ffffuuuu.gif

One of the belts was also shipped in the wrong size.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Brutality. At least meermin belts are very nice, so hopefully still worth $158?

The conversion from USD to CAD was 1.33. Then there's HST, a customs fee, HST on the customs fee, the Fedex "ROD Fee", and of course HST on the ROD Fee. So just the five additional charges.

Odds on any/all of the following as part of the exchange process?
  • Return fee
  • Return shipping fee
  • HST on exchanged belt
  • Customs on exchange belt
  • HST on customs on exchange belt
  • Miscellaneous Fedex fee on exchanged belt
  • HST on miscellaneous Fedex fee

I'm pretty sure Meermin won't charge a return fee since the mistake was theirs. Hopefully they cover shipping both ways, too.
I think you'll have to eat the FedEx fee and HST on that fee, which sucks. That fee is basically a "**** you we have your stuff so give us money" fee, which is why Fedex (and UPS) have been fighting class actions across the country for forever. They're charged by the companies (arguably in violation of consumer protection laws), rather than the government.

Fun fact: usually if you read the fine print, you can request to clear customs yourself and not pay the **** you fee. I haven't tried it. For most of the people on the board, your time is worth more than the customs clearance fee that you pay to the shipping company. For students it might be worth it.

You might be able to request a refund on part or all of the duties paid by filling out this form: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf. I think the worst case is they say no and you spent 10 minutes filling out and mailing a form.

I think this is also how you dispute the value that they assessed the items to be worth, if you bought something used for $100 and they assessed it as being worth $1000.00.

Edit: there's also a formal objection and appeal process for proceeding to Tax Court, but that doesn't make any sense at all for $58. That's something that real importers like @spiermackay or @LeatherFoot would consider when they get hit with serious duties that will substantially mess with their bottom line or the viability of their businesses. The objection requirements are onerous and the timelines are tight to file the notice of objection. It's easy to mess up.

Last edited:

kasper007

Reaction score

Fun fact: usually if you read the fine print, you can request to clear customs yourself and not pay the **** you fee. I haven't tried it. For most of the people on the board, your time is worth more than the customs clearance fee that you pay to the shipping company. For students it might be worth it.

Funnily enough, when I was a student, I would do this all the time. Excluding the drive to the airport (which in my case in Montreal was about 15 min without traffic), it's only a matter of filing out a form and takes less than 5 minutes. Now that I am working, I don't have time for this (or driving to Missisauga)....

rwtc

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll look into the stores this weekend

Jaackytung

Reaction score
Just got dinged by Fedex for $400 for my package from Carmina. Be careful out there gents, and may you not face the same fate as me...

rwtc

Reaction score
Just got dinged by Fedex for $400 for my package from Carmina. Be careful out there gents, and may you not face the same fate as me...

That's insane! I'm pretty happy about my $70 duty for my Vass order now haha

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's insane! I'm pretty happy about my $70 duty for my Vass order now haha
I think thats what I like most about buying from Vass. I know what to expect when it hits my door. Which reminds me I should place my order soon...

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
400!? Now I'm worried about my Trickers order.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still not over about $426 punch when my Edward Green came in last week.

F@&$

jokb

Reaction score
ouch. those are some hefty fines.

Different topic, anyone here going to the Gentlemen's expo on the 25th-27th?

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Total assfucking ripoff. I would definitely dispute that; was it a shell model?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads