1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

Jos A. Banks just had them on sale for $10 each. $15 for us Canucks, but with currency conversion, shipping, taxes and duties (all calculated at checkout), it's not such a great deal anymore.

I'm headed to NY next month, so I chose to ship to a store and paid with my US Dollar Visa. I bought six pairs. I haven't used their trees, but IMO, I haven't noticed any difference between AE, Rochester, BB, etc. I think they're all in the same ball park quality wise. If you want to spend money, then obviously the next step up should be lasted/hollowed trees.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

2. jokb

jokb Senior Member

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Distinguished Member

I think Novelty charges about $25 for a pair? I can't remember exactly what he told me when I went in for some laces

4. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior Member

Brutality. At least meermin belts are very nice, so hopefully still worth $158?

I think you'll have to eat the FedEx fee and HST on that fee, which sucks. That fee is basically a "fuck you we have your stuff so give us money" fee, which is why Fedex (and UPS) have been fighting class actions across the country for forever. They're charged by the companies (arguably in violation of consumer protection laws), rather than the government.

Fun fact: usually if you read the fine print, you can request to clear customs yourself and not pay the fuck you fee. I haven't tried it. For most of the people on the board, your time is worth more than the customs clearance fee that you pay to the shipping company. For students it might be worth it.

You might be able to request a refund on part or all of the duties paid by filling out this form: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g.pdf. I think the worst case is they say no and you spent 10 minutes filling out and mailing a form.

I think this is also how you dispute the value that they assessed the items to be worth, if you bought something used for $100 and they assessed it as being worth $1000.00.

Edit: there's also a formal objection and appeal process for proceeding to Tax Court, but that doesn't make any sense at all for $58. That's something that real importers like @spiermackay or @LeatherFoot would consider when they get hit with serious duties that will substantially mess with their bottom line or the viability of their businesses. The objection requirements are onerous and the timelines are tight to file the notice of objection. It's easy to mess up.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

5. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior Member

6. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior Member

I'll add another good word for Jok, he's is very good to deal with.

7. kasper007

kasper007 Senior Member

Funnily enough, when I was a student, I would do this all the time. Excluding the drive to the airport (which in my case in Montreal was about 15 min without traffic), it's only a matter of filing out a form and takes less than 5 minutes. Now that I am working, I don't have time for this (or driving to Missisauga)....

8. rwtc

rwtc Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll look into the stores this weekend

9. Jaackytung

Jaackytung Member

Just got dinged by Fedex for $400 for my package from Carmina. Be careful out there gents, and may you not face the same fate as me...

10. rwtc

rwtc Senior Member

That's insane! I'm pretty happy about my $70 duty for my Vass order now haha

11. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Distinguished Member

I think thats what I like most about buying from Vass. I know what to expect when it hits my door. Which reminds me I should place my order soon...

12. tricky

tricky Distinguished Member

400!? Now I'm worried about my Trickers order.

13. Steel28

Steel28 Distinguished Member

I'm still not over about $426 punch when my Edward Green came in last week.

[email protected]&$

14. jokb

jokb Senior Member

ouch. those are some hefty fines.

Different topic, anyone here going to the Gentlemen's expo on the 25th-27th?

15. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Distinguished Member

Total assfucking ripoff. I would definitely dispute that; was it a shell model?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015