Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Very informative..in light of all that's been discussed I'm surprised there's not more handwelted around. Like a Lobb handwelted line above prestige or something, lol. I know that's not really the tradition there and all that but still. Same goes for other superpremo makers. Kinda a top-end-of-the-market opp..

More on topic though: I've handled both St. C and Vass and - while perhaps several months in both respectively would yield more insight - I'll get into that style through Jok at $895 flat over St. C from Leatherfoot at $1500+HST any day of the week! (no offense to Arne or the Leatherfoot folks...I'd still happily get Carmina there or the odd sale on other makers).

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Pretty happy with my first pair of Carmina. Simpson last, Burdeos. Damn, its a snug last, great for oxfords for me, but I would go to Rain on a boot or chukka in a heartbeat, and drop to a 7.5UK. Great snug oxford fit without discomfort.

Via Mr. Crevans QC, 8 days door to door via DHL/Canpost destination for Delivery.

Right toe appears to be discoloured during finishing process (i believe its a burnished finish), but our man jokb says he can fix it up no problem. Will post pics post GTA treatment...

And no I don't wear them with jeans. Office break in going down...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Nice shoes. Do you know if they're having a sale?

4. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Sale? Not that I know of. Their price is with VAT. Total was 304 EUR shipped.

5. SirReveller

Great pickup. Nice reddish color. Did you get nailed on the duty on arrival? My quick read on CAD price conversion is that you may have beaten a little Yorkville-rent extra cost but I can't tell if this 'win' would be subsumed by a big credit card whack at your front door to take delivery...

6. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

I only got hit for about $50 in duty on my order a few weeks back so it wasn't too bad.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Mine came in clear. $440 CAD landed for new Carmina. Real hard to beat that.

8. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

... son of a bitch

9. SirReveller

Cal: what intl shipping co did Mr Crevans use? It'd be super helpful to get a sense of the probability on a no-duty arrival from these guys...

10. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

would like to know as well, as his post says DHL/Canpost??
    it's either or no?

11. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

I'm thinking Canpost as he would get free shipping at 300euro, otherwise DHL calls you with tax and handling fees.
    Still pretty good rolling dice with CanPost, slightly cheaper than skoak.

12. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

DHL picks up from Mr Crevens. Once the packaged departed EU, the tracking # and carrier switches to CanadaPost and heir website. It forwards you to can post from the DHL tracking page. So ultimately it's a like shipping mail.
    I know for a fact DHL is very strong in EU but not so much in Canada. So they must have an interchange agreement with Canpost to assume packages process through regular customs and deliver.
    Cyrille at QC was excellent. Although DHL's tracking was about 5 days behind initially. So it looked like it never picked up for a while. Which wasn't the case.

Id totally recommend QC. They have some nice makeups.

13. jokb

jokb Senior member

If anyone wants to join us for a small BBQ this Saturday in Mississauga, let me know.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Should be a blast!

15. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I'm really appreciating all the shoe and shipping discussions in this thread lately.

It had been two years since I'd bought a proper pair of shoes (trigger warning for some of you @RogerP) and it was interesting to see how much the purchasing landscape in Toronto has changed.

I checked Pediwear for the brand I know best (C&J) and was unpleasantly surprised to see that hand grades now sell for around $830 before taxes and shipping, meaning you're likely in for around $1100 delivered. At this price, it seems like a no-brainer to go with Vass. Indeed, Jok was very helpful and although the MTO timeline didn't work for me at this point, I'll almost certainly pick up a pair next year. (This new C&J pricing also made me doubly relieved that I stocked up through Plal back when you could get hand grades for under $500.)

Carmina at Leatherfoot is another nice mid-tier entry that wasn't around only a couple of years ago. The recent divergence in the exchange rates for CAD:GBP compared to CAD:EUR mean that European shoes are likely to provide better value in the near term. Saying that, I ended up ordering from Justin Fitzpatrick this time since his sale prices made even the unfavourable exchange rate acceptable.

Apologies for all the focus on pricing. I'm not really obsessed with the dollars and was looking at everything from Velasca to Vass for this purchase. It's more a question of how the value proposition for different shoes has changed substantially in a fairly short period.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015