• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I still take the GO in but during off-peak hours and the train is pretty much empty. I always get my own cluster of 4 seats to myself. I am usually in the office 2-3 times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Still wearing a suit or SC when I go in.

partenopean

Reaction score
One hypothesis says that these people used to take GO or TTC but now drive, so offices are underpopulated, public transit is still empty but highways are jammed

LOL.....if offices are underpopulated (which they most certainly are), wouldn't it stand to reason that these people on the highways, if they are people that used to take GO or TTC to go to offices, are not going to offices on the highway now?

The OP is totally correct -- the 401 and the DVP at packed at 8:30am to above 2019 levels. The 401 westbound is packed at record highs, IMHO. My guess is "work from home" is really "get on the highway and drive somewhere"....where is the mystery..

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t take much to add enough cars to DVP southbound to jam it. I know that a few of my coworkers now drive because they can justify the expense if it’s once a week plus they want to avoid public transit. But your explanation may be better. Oh wait, you didn’t have one.

Roscoe the best

Reaction score
I just spent 2300 CAD to to MTM shooting jacket and trousers in Harry Rosen through Samuel Sohn with this fabric, any Canadian members here? please share some of your opinion. Thank you.

1635638693414.png

partenopean

Reaction score
Hi,
Can I ask if this was at the Bloor/Bellair store?

Would you mind sharing which associate helped you with fitting/measuring for Samuelsohn? I am looking to do the same, but all I get is warnings: "Be careful who measures you, some of them don't know how to measure"....I find this hard to believe, to be frank.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Would you mind sharing which associate helped you with fitting/measuring for Samuelsohn? I am looking to do the same, but all I get is warnings: "Be careful who measures you, some of them don't know how to measure"....I find this hard to believe, to be frank.
It is irrelevant who measures you as they should all be capable of measuring you properly if they are hired by HR to do so. HR should stand by their product and fit once the suit is made. Ignore all the noise if you want to get a suit made at Harry Rosen then go for it.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For Bloor, I recommend Stephanie. She will give you honest appraisals on fit.

Be very careful choosing a sales associate.

In terms of experience, I also recommend Bobby, and George (George actually used to work for Cifonelli, and also has a good eye for fit/MTM).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is irrelevant who measures you as they should all be capable of measuring you properly if they are hired by HR to do so. HR should stand by their product and fit once the suit is made. Ignore all the noise if you want to get a suit made at Harry Rosen then go for it.

That’s terrible advice. Not all SAs are equal.

To elaborate, I’ve dealt with SAs who just wanted to make a sale, and were willing to let me walk out with an ill-fitting garment. By choosing to be selective, you minimize the chances of ending up with a garment you’re unhappy with.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To elaborate, I’ve dealt with SAs who just wanted to make a sale, and were willing to let me walk out with an ill-fitting garment. By choosing to be selective, you minimize the chances of ending up with a garment you’re unhappy with.

+1

I've had both Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew SAs tell me that all shoe brands only have one width. That's not only incorrect but it was an attempt at gas lighting. When I further asked about construction method on a brand I was unfamiliar with (Zegna) I was told "highest quality construction" and then it was suggested perhaps I wasn't in the right store. They were right.

I went to see Ivor Woolridge who fitted me for my wide feet in Goodyear welted shoes.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a terrible advise? How so ? If one walks in a store why do they have to look for someone who knows what they are doing? Why are all not able to do the same job? Are all Harry Rosen staff not trained the same way or by the sounds of it it is a hit or miss? Or you are trying for someone in particular to get their commission here ?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you rely on a retail associate when it’s your clothes on your own self? I’m amazed at how many on this forum who come across as experts in all things clothing but have nothing but trepidation when it comes to pulling the trigger. Like WTF?

If you know how you like your clothes to fit then aim for that and settle for nothing less…..why rely on someone’s opinion?? TELL them what you want instead of asking their opinion. You hired them, not the other way around. Any problems with such a straight forward process means you are also culpable and part of the problem.

Enjoy!

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

I've had both Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew SAs tell me that all shoe brands only have one width. That's not only incorrect but it was an attempt at gas lighting. When I further asked about construction method on a brand I was unfamiliar with (Zegna) I was told "highest quality construction" and then it was suggested perhaps I wasn't in the right store. They were right.

I went to see Ivor Woolridge who fitted me for my wide feet in Goodyear welted shoes.
By the sounds of it the commission based employees at HR are not educated/ trained enough to sell shoes. In that case one should stay clear from that store.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the sounds of it the commission based employees at HR are not educated/ trained enough to sell shoes. In that case one should stay clear from that store.
Not exactly true - they are trained to do what 98% of their customers expect. Just because a few people read forums and walk around looking to split hairs about shoe construction doesn’t mean Holts is in the wrong business. If one really has a chip on their shoulder about educated shoe sales reps then they need to lower their expectations or only shop at the one place in town some strangers on the internet told them about :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads