The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Just a note to everyone that while the loonie has tanked against the US dollar, it's actually done relatively well compared to the Euro. Although the Euro is rebounding after being dirt cheap in the spring, it's still about 4% cheaper than it was for most of last year. If you have the option of paying in Euros (some sites have multiple methods) that's the way to go. Obviously this should also factor into your online purchasing activity.

As an aside, I'm paying for my wedding in Euros and they just lifted the VAT by 10%. There goes my new TV [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

2. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

I wonder if the current situation in Greece will affect the euro at all.

3. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Not at all. The euro was depreciating as the deadline for a deal approached. Now that Greece is playing ball it's actually showing some strength. Probably stay around where it is for the next few months.

4. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

I have been in Greece for the last week or so and the 10% vat addition is huge. I think there are some things here at 23% tax. Though they always offer a cash price as well..

My family who have lived in Athens forever claim it doesn't matter to them but, theoretically it should affect everyone.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Off topic but when will our dollar get back up there you think? PM me if you don't want to discuss.

6. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Yeah I don't see how it won't affect them. I also don't see how crushing consumption is the best way to get the economy on track and get your money back but that's the EU for you.

I'll be more general but the loonie isn't going to go up until the Bank of Canada increases rates or the price of oil increases. Both seem a ways off.

7. borbor

borbor Senior member

nope, it isn't.

been using DHL for almost a year and i've never gotten dinged that bad.

the worst was about 28 bucks on a 80 dollar order from the states.

8. borbor

borbor Senior member

or if you do a lot of BST and guys pay thru paypal, keep it all in usd [​IMG]

9. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Has anyone bought directly from Carmina before? I am wondering what the import duty/tax will be.

10. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Only from Leatherfoot. Other than the secondary market where you might win on "duty-roulette" (despite FX issue, most likely) I think they're your best best in Canada.

11. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Dropped a pair of shoes off at Nick's on Saturday to get resoled. Charge was $85 + tax for leather soles, rubber heels and a clean and condition.

I'm picking up on Thursday so I'll report back. I got a very professional vibe from the dude when I dropped them off so fingers crossed.

12. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

FYI Nick's added a bit of heft to the heel for me on some Ferragamo originales just last week and - while my experience w cobblers is nil - it came off superb to my mind and verified all the good word of mouth they have around town.
    [​IMG]
    *funnily enough I met our man Jok doing this little gamo deal as he was the seller! Hahaha. Silver lining! (sick Vass collection at his house...gotta do his MTO in a burnished museum calf kinda thing)

13. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

On Dupont? Looking forward to the results.

14. velomane

velomane Senior member

They shipped to me via DHL, so it was the full hit: GST, PST, 18% duty plus fees. What hurt even worse was the fact that she (the woman at Carmina) screwed up my order. Back went the boots to go through it all again. I never did recoup all my costs on the initial purchase. Furthermore, she tried to say that it was I that messed up the order. When I showed it wasn't me, she tried charging me for return shipping. Not a pleasant experience. I've since noticed that others have had issues with her. My feeling is that her office isn't well organized (i.e. lack of proper documentation). If I were you, I'd order through a reseller, and let them deal with Carmina.

15. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Thanks for the information and sorry to hear about your experience. It seems like Carmina direct is the only one that has the model I like. However, the duty and tax are too much to deal with.