The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Got a pair of loafers from Velasca, an online retailer paired with Lanieri online MTM.

They are fantastic! Great construction for price. I would highly recommend, I don't think you can get a better value. They're obviously not world beaters, but for something I'll wear once a week through the summer months they fit the bill perfectly.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Hmm I need some loafers... I notice they ship free, do they also cover duties/taxes like Lanieri does?

3. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Nope, we're VAT exempt but will have to pay the 18% tax and duties.

4. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Didn't get dinged with anything so.....

5. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

That is...AMAZING. Luck of draw perhaps?

Quote:

6. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

This is the first I've heard of Velasca and it sounds like you're pleased with them. How would you describe the shape? I understand most of their models are a little sleeker than typical Goodyear-welted shoes.

The company sounds very interesting. At the price, it doesn't seem like much of a risk to order a pair.

7. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Love the price, but looked a little mensy to me? I browsed it quickyl at work, but I could be off. Liked the boat shoes though, and need some of those for summer so not a risk trying out one of them.

8. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

I got a call from DHL that my 2 Hober ties are available for pickup in Brampton and that the duties and fees on them is $83... yeesh.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

9. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

If the economist said they're good, I don't think you can go wrong!! [​IMG] They do look good for the price!!

10. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Hahahahaha great tale

Basically exxxactly the same thing happened to me this last 6mos. Super hot Tom James chick sells me some custo job on some post Xmas sale all to drop a serious chunk of dough for a suit that once I got it home for awhile I realize I don't like much at all (here's my pref for OTR over picking from some swatch book...also wasn't aware of SF and the Tom James threads I stupidly found much later make it clear 'stay away' in about 30seconds of reading, $argh$) then just a couple weeks ago a *sketchy* (spot-on) LGFG kid in a three piece trundling a huge luggage thing on wheels stops me twice the same week. "Nice suit...Hi, I work for..." The second time was like days after the first encounter and I thought he was kidding for a long while...nope! He'd forgotten our 5min chat that occured 48hrs earlier! ie This street-stop-cold-call is his regular sales tactic! (probably not half bad efficacy-wise, but cmon hahaha). I ended up having a quick coffee with him some Friday and basically you got it. Not a great vibe.

Plus, when a 23 year old in a three piece tells you he's into DJing and then in the same breath tells you he's "gonna be your suit guy from now on" hahahahaha...I was like "OK pal..my 'suit guy' - should I ever even have one to begin with - is gonna be an Italian dude with many years on me not you"

Im pretty sure Suit Supply, Robert Jones and w/e the hell you find at HR on sale in between would leave you miles ahead of LGFG by the time you kick the bucket.

Plus the name alone is frickin' dumb. At least the Suit Supply founder was going for "blunt with no frills" and it kinda works...a bit (lol!)

Anyway great tale. Small world!

PS Tullo & Sons in FCP has some great small shirt and suit guy in Italy and the stuff they can get for you MTM for the price is amazing. Made in Italy, luster and soft and all that shirt for $160. Family owned. Italian too (haha no this doesn't actually matter...but it is nice re: clothes LOL) Bugatchi Boss Samuelsohn ETON Pantherella etc etc like a HR too but posssibly some great sales snipes that can beat HR or you could price compare and haggle. Jack is the owner. Sick place. He's tailoring up all my ill fitting BB shirts of yesteryear ie your tailor search may be over w this place too.

11. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

*sorry: "Tello & Son Clothiers"
    It seems I'm so enamored with this joint I didn't bother to ever read the sign properly.
    Sick though
    Like Robert Jones but w/o the insane price tags. (Besides, if you roll that heavy you can just clean out Via Cavour, John Ferrigamo and VHazelton!)

12. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

$83 on what? A $170 USD order? That stings Bill...

I have Carminas inbound, sitting in Montreal now.... Yay.

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Yep that is DHL for you.

Brave man buying things since CDN dollar is absolute shit

14. jokb

jokb Senior member

Ouch. I feel for you Bill.

15. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Those duty fees are absolutely brutal........how is it even possible?