• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Netflix, all day. (and the occasional, annoying work)

Are we talking about new ties? because people practically give those away all the time. New ones still make great presents, though, but better if they're coming from a romantic interest.

I'll buy new if it's something I can't get otherwise, or if the pricing is what I consider fair. Something that is overpriced for someone else may be a fair price for me, given artistic value, exclusivity, etc. In that case, I'll buy it. But I don't turn up my nose at vintage pieces or nearly-new items at secondhand stores. That's just another good deal, in my view.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are these brand name ties still worth the money even at such a deep discount?

Kiton, Isaia, and Zegna Couture ties are a good value at those prices. Typically handmade, and sevenfold in the case of Kiton and Isaia (also self lined).

Tom Ford ties are great too. Don’t know if they’re handmade, or if they use an all-wool interlining (the hallmark of a well-made tie), but they do have interesting patterns, classic widths, and tie a good knot. Also check out the TF knit ties.

Drake’s ties are also excellent, and handmade. My only knock against them is that Harry tends to order the 3’ versions. Otherwise, a great value.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Netflix, all day. (and the occasional, annoying work)

Are we talking about new ties? because people practically give those away all the time. New ones still make great presents, though, but better if they're coming from a romantic interest.

I'll buy new if it's something I can't get otherwise, or if the pricing is what I consider fair. Something that is overpriced for someone else may be a fair price for me, given artistic value, exclusivity, etc. In that case, I'll buy it. But I don't turn up my nose at vintage pieces or nearly-new items at secondhand stores. That's just another good deal, in my view.

This is how I've been in the past 12 months or so. When it comes to retail clothing purchases, I've been getting more enjoyment out of the clothes I got a 10-20% discount on/paid full price for, than the majority of my 40-70% off finds that I wasn't 100% set on but took a risk on (with it being final sale). The notion of "getting a deal" was a bigger influence than whether I felt like I "needed" it.

I'm also hitting a point where I have more clothing wants than clothing needs. There are now a number of things that either make me question a potential purchase or "hinder" me from making one. (Some of those things are because of the pandemic.) Good for the wallet (and my investment fund)!

Spex

Reaction score
Speaking of ties and Harry Rosen, the last time I was at one of their Outlet locations they have plenty of nice looking ties for $9.99 + an extra 30% off. I was tempted to grab a few, but I really don't need any more ties.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of ties and Harry Rosen, the last time I was at one of their Outlet locations they have plenty of nice looking ties for $9.99 + an extra 30% off. I was tempted to grab a few, but I really don't need any more ties.
Wow

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was your first mistake. Confusing mere needs with necessary wants.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember they once had Corneliani knit ties for $5.99 each. Some crazy deals there sometimes.

bings

Reaction score
Hey guys, Harry Rosen PSA.

Ties are currently 60% off on the website. But if you enter SD50 at checkout, it takes an additional $20 off.

But Subtotal has to be at least $100 for the code to work.

For example, you can get a Tom Ford tie at 60% off $295, which equals $117. With the code it’s $97, so 66% off.

ooof... my SA was able to get me the Blakc Friday pricing on some items i wanted ahead of the sale. nice share on the promo code though.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Like many we've taken the recent shift to WFH as an opportunity to move out of the city. Would anyone have a recommendation on a tailor in the Markham/Richmond Hill/Stouffville area?

themasao

Reaction score
Like many we've taken the recent shift to WFH as an opportunity to move out of the city. Would anyone have a recommendation on a tailor in the Markham/Richmond Hill/Stouffville area?

While we're on the topic (and apologies if this has been posted in this thread before): people's go-to tailor in the City?

rokor

Reaction score
I think the consensus was that bespoke suiting is nonexistent here but there are a few good tailors who can perform magic to get something fitted correctly. I have a great local tailor who save some old Prada and Pal Zileri and I'm on the west end.

themasao

Reaction score
I think the consensus was that bespoke suiting is nonexistent here but there are a few good tailors who can perform magic to get something fitted correctly. I have a great local tailor who save some old Prada and Pal Zileri and I'm on the west end.

Interesting. I thought John Ferrigamo was mostly well thought of on this forum. Though price is another matter...

I was more referring to alterations tailors though.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Who do you use on the west end? I'm in Mississauga. Thanks.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speed hooks have really made my life easier now that I've transitioned to mostly boots.

And some classic shoes with new rubber heels, toe taps, and sole protectors. Work done by Pablo Hadarits of Dimar Shoe Repair in Guelph.

20201210_091622.jpg
20201210_091627.jpg
20201210_091633.jpg
20201210_091502.jpg
20201210_092049.jpg
20201210_092102.jpg
20201210_092056.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads