• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

BrentonCoTailors

Reaction score
Timothy's instagram post today brought up what we think can be a very intriguing discussion. And since this is a great place to ignite those sorts of things, I thought we could plant the seed:

What place does bespoke tailoring have in a city run by made to measure options? Should we offer bespoke? We do offer made-to-measure, why should we not just offer that?

Jamesbond1

Reaction score
Timothy's instagram post today brought up what we think can be a very intriguing discussion. And since this is a great place to ignite those sorts of things, I thought we could plant the seed:

What place does bespoke tailoring have in a city run by made to measure options? Should we offer bespoke? We do offer made-to-measure, why should we not just offer that?
Tim has rescued me from my past nightmares of made to measure experiences to what is the best fit resulting in excellent garments in my wardrobe now!! Toronto’s Mens tailoring is sub par at best but we are all entitled our our opinions!! IMO it is not always the shop/ store but who is there to measure you and guide you. The man also is an inspiration of classic mens attire in a city saturated with tight/ short fashion induced garbage.

If you are able to offer both and you have a clientele for both then why not? Corvettes are nice cars and so are Mclaren!!

And with Tim at Brenton.... there should be no limitations!!! Mr. Hanchett hits Grand Slams all day long!!

Aelric

Reaction score
I've always thought of it as a craft and process thing. MTM is good if all you want is a well fitting suit, just as finding a RTW cut that suits you and having a good alterations tailor is. There's a special feeling feeling though to something cut to your pattern, of going through the bespoke process with multiple fittings and discussions. The result may not be (and often isn't) perfect the way a high quality machine made garment can be, but that's rather the point. There's a charm to all of the imperfections that are the inevitable result of having people involved that needs to be appreciated.

When I was in college as Amazon took off I was the manager of a small bookstore, and I often compare it to paper books vs eReaders. There's a place for eReaders, they make it easy to carry around and store a library for example. That doesn't mean paper books went or are going to go away. In fact, I've seen a growth in 'special' books, leather bound and illustrated tomes of things that you might not expect (Raymond E. Feist for example). As people less and less need paper books, those who love them focus on the experience of them, emotional as much as physical.

rwtc

Reaction score
Where do you gents get surgeon's cuffs? Have four blazers that need to be done. I've gotten Ian do it in the past, but it is cost prohibitive to do four, as the cost would be over 600, just for buttonholes ...

induere_to

Reaction score
The Tailor and The Cleaner

induere_to

Reaction score
They told me a while back that it was $12 per buttonhole if done by machine, $20 per buttonhole if done by hand.

Also something worth noting is that their repairs on moth holes are outstanding.

rwtc

Reaction score
They told me a while back that it was $12 per buttonhole if done by machine, $20 per buttonhole if done by hand.

Also something worth noting is that their repairs on moth holes are outstanding.
That's very good to know. Is it invisible mending?

I have 3 Attolini that needs the cuffs done ...... the dilemma is that I feel like I'm cheaping out if not doing it by hand, but price wise that's $480 or $542 if they charge tax, which doesn't really make sense to me.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very good to know. Is it invisible mending?

I have 3 Attolini that needs the cuffs done ...... the dilemma is that I feel like I'm cheaping out if not doing it by hand, but price wise that's $480 or $542 if they charge tax, which doesn't really make sense to me.
I have the same dilemma before, then I choose to do 2 buttons per sleeve...

BA5D00E8-8564-4612-985E-1B2FC2795A64.jpeg

BrentonCoTailors

Reaction score
One great aspect to take pride in is the process of drawing out a pattern that fits each client as they are measured; in width, in stance, and in posture. Our master tailor Toni, gave us a small exhibition of how he achieves this exact accommodation yesterday morning.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone'd be interested. I bought a pair of Reiccardo Bestetti Oxford but unfortunately the instep is way to high for me.
It's such a gorgeous pair of shoes and I do want them to find a new home.
It's in their Almond Toe last which I believe it's one of the best Almond Toe lasts that you can find.

UK7.5, run a tiny bit big, should fit US8.5 to 9
I paid ~ 820 USD and will let go at cost.
E5820E8F-190C-4BF6-A124-17035FF28CCE.jpeg
149FD86C-EEBE-4277-8B24-3E386FE89093.jpeg
46810245-2029-4CB6-8CA9-0D07FEC6BE3D.jpeg
8DB05C37-56F9-4E62-A911-CE11D1A49BA2.jpeg
CA0970D1-AA52-4A50-9964-82C46FDF4D06.jpeg
35CC26F9-5E27-427B-89F8-B3E3F7B3D637.jpeg
84FFB397-D383-464B-A67A-30D7E8384E3D.jpeg

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker