• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said, I guess you had similar thoughts to mine. I love the upgrade of toe taps but I don’t really want to pay for a botched or even mediocre job. $35 isn’t bad, I think Rob charges $40 and only offers Lulu, but I decided I’d rather experiment on a low risk pair of Allen Edmonds.

Dan from Heels n Soles in Sudbury has a pair of my shoes right now and he sent me photo of a very clean install of Triumph toe taps. Not really worth shipping if that’s the only job though.

I want to try Coakleys in London, but I’m usually only there for a day or two so I might see about a rush turnaround.

I'm going out with a few pairs to take to Gary sometime this summer. If you're not in a rush, I'd be happy to bring them along. I work downtown so maybe we can coordinate something.

I'll also be seeing Corey Hiltz in Barrie at some point.

iliamerk

Reaction score
I'm going out with a few pairs to take to Gary sometime this summer. If you're not in a rush, I'd be happy to bring them along. I work downtown so maybe we can coordinate something.

I'll also be seeing Corey Hiltz in Barrie at some point.

Definitely may reach out to you to arrange something. Makes it easier for the pick up and drop off. Much appreciated!

Anyone have any experience wearing shoes from Spier & Mackay?

While I don't expect them to be at AE level, they look to be a good value at $328 CAD. I'm actually more interested in their jumper boots.

To be honest they seem to be pretty good value from what I’ve seen in person. In terms of finish, I think they’re even better than AE. It bothers me how AE barely bothers sanding the edges of the soles properly or doesn’t go over the welt with a fudge wheel, and they’re $595 Canadian now on the site. Not sure how they’ll wear over time though.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said, I guess you had similar thoughts to mine. I love the upgrade of toe taps but I don’t really want to pay for a botched or even mediocre job. $35 isn’t bad, I think Rob charges $40 and only offers Lulu, but I decided I’d rather experiment on a low risk pair of Allen Edmonds.

Dan from Heels n Soles in Sudbury has a pair of my shoes right now and he sent me photo of a very clean install of Triumph toe taps. Not really worth shipping if that’s the only job though.

I want to try Coakleys in London, but I’m usually only there for a day or two so I might see about a rush turnaround.

Here is a pair that Dan Frappier (Heels n Soles in Sudbury). Everything flush, and barely visible. Screws and plate were not sanded down. One of the better cobblers in the country.
20200212_065407.jpg
20200212_065355.jpg
20200212_065346.jpg
20200212_065340.jpg
20200212_065334.jpg

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
To be honest they seem to be pretty good value from what I’ve seen in person. In terms of finish, I think they’re even better than AE. It bothers me how AE barely bothers sanding the edges of the soles properly or doesn’t go over the welt with a fudge wheel, and they’re $595 Canadian now on the site. Not sure how they’ll wear over time though.

I think they definitely are of good value and may be the best entry level into higher quality shoes you can find in Toronto. AE has nicer feeling and looking leather and 360 degree GYW compared to the Spier... but the the difference in price sure warrants giving them a try. (How I miss the days when AEs were about $350 at Harry Rosen and $395 everywhere else!)

chiggyv

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the number of you going for toe taps as opposed to topys. Given our climate I always leaned towards full sole coverage, although I should consider heel taps to counter my ugly heel drag.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised by the number of you going for toe taps as opposed to topys. Given our climate I always leaned towards full sole coverage, although I should consider heel taps to counter my ugly heel drag.

From what I understand, two different purposes. I normally get both. My toe areas do show more wear, but yes, the topy for our weather, and to increase longevity of leather soles. The Hanovers I posted above have both.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm assembling a few pairs to send to Martin Sugg in Thunder Bay (Timeless Shoe Repair). He does amazing work. If anyone wants to throw their shoes into my box for shipping, I won't charge you anything for it. Martin normally covers return postage given I send multiple pairs at a time.

I can meet you in downtown Toronto during work days, and Meadowvale area of Mississauga in evenings and weekends. I will ask that you arrange payments with Martin himself, as I won't act as the go between.

I will be seeing Corey Hiltz in Barrie (Fix em up shoe repair) and Gary Coakley in London (Coakleys) in the future. Likely summer. So again, if you have shoes you want those cobblers to fix, I will take them and bring them back. Again, no fee. Just something for the community. Plus I think it's important we support Canadian cobblers.

PM me anytime. My box to Martin will be sent sometime in the next few weeks.

SFC

EddieK

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience wearing shoes from Spier & Mackay?

While I don't expect them to be at AE level, they look to be a good value at $328 CAD. I'm actually more interested in their jumper boots.

I have tried them on personally and the quality is great.
I've also talked to an avid shoe blogger and reviewer and he had been given a pair of shoes from the company to review. He had nothing but good things to say about it.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying out a cobbler in Saskatoon that is highly recommended by other reputable cobblers. Stay tuned:

burgerkong

Reaction score
they usually fly under the radar...........most people don't even know what they are. Are you the "look at me" type?

Sadly no haha, super under the radar. Had a grey tweed jacket with a white Oxford on. Doubt anyone was studying haha.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect toe plates by Martin Sugg In Thunder Bay (Timeless shoe repair).
IMG_20200221_0735507.jpg
IMG_20200221_0735547.jpg
IMG_20200221_0735588.jpg
IMG_20200221_0736079.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads