• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

iliamerk

Reaction score
Nice work! Echoing what I had typed in another thread:

"
Brought my Carmina jumpers and Galways to Nick's Shoe Repair in Toronto for flush toe plates (Lulu). Price at time of writing was $35 plus HST and about a week turnaround (not rushed, I think they can do it quicker). Nitpicking here, but I don't like the fact that they had to grind the bottom of the plates to match the contour of the sole, they should have bent the plates to fit. Also the screws used stuck out and they ground it flush. I've seen other cobblers open up the countersink to account for taller heads, make it look much cleaner. As to whether or not the outsole stitching was damaged or nicked underneath the plate I'll have to see over time as I'm not certain, but can ask - for what it's worth, they said there is a lifetime repair guarantee. Also, not entirely certain the screws are SS to match the SS plates, will see if they end up rusting....

Aside from those relatively minor points, it's not bad, and I don't think you can find better inside the city, or in Ontario. On higher end shoes, I'd recommend getting plates from the factory direct, or when you're getting a full recraft. Less chances of issues."

Well said, I guess you had similar thoughts to mine. I love the upgrade of toe taps but I don’t really want to pay for a botched or even mediocre job. $35 isn’t bad, I think Rob charges $40 and only offers Lulu, but I decided I’d rather experiment on a low risk pair of Allen Edmonds.

Dan from Heels n Soles in Sudbury has a pair of my shoes right now and he sent me photo of a very clean install of Triumph toe taps. Not really worth shipping if that’s the only job though.

I want to try Coakleys in London, but I’m usually only there for a day or two so I might see about a rush turnaround.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said, I guess you had similar thoughts to mine. I love the upgrade of toe taps but I don’t really want to pay for a botched or even mediocre job. $35 isn’t bad, I think Rob charges $40 and only offers Lulu, but I decided I’d rather experiment on a low risk pair of Allen Edmonds.

Dan from Heels n Soles in Sudbury has a pair of my shoes right now and he sent me photo of a very clean install of Triumph toe taps. Not really worth shipping if that’s the only job though.

I want to try Coakleys in London, but I’m usually only there for a day or two so I might see about a rush turnaround.
I'm glad people are trying out Coakleys (London) and Heels n Soles (Sudbury). I totally agree that shipping doesn't make sense if it's a small job. I generally save up a few pairs.

The other guys to try are Timeless Shoe Repair in Thunder Bay, and Fix 'em up shoe repair in Barrie. Both did lulu taps for me, and the work is much better than any of the cobblers in Toronto. Again, save up a few pairs before shipping off to them.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going out with a few pairs to take to Gary sometime this summer. If you're not in a rush, I'd be happy to bring them along. I work downtown so maybe we can coordinate something.

I'll also be seeing Corey Hiltz in Barrie at some point.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience wearing shoes from Spier & Mackay?

While I don't expect them to be at AE level, they look to be a good value at $328 CAD. I'm actually more interested in their jumper boots.

iliamerk

Reaction score
I'm going out with a few pairs to take to Gary sometime this summer. If you're not in a rush, I'd be happy to bring them along. I work downtown so maybe we can coordinate something.

I'll also be seeing Corey Hiltz in Barrie at some point.
Definitely may reach out to you to arrange something. Makes it easier for the pick up and drop off. Much appreciated!

While I don't expect them to be at AE level, they look to be a good value at $328 CAD. I'm actually more interested in their jumper boots.
To be honest they seem to be pretty good value from what I’ve seen in person. In terms of finish, I think they’re even better than AE. It bothers me how AE barely bothers sanding the edges of the soles properly or doesn’t go over the welt with a fudge wheel, and they’re $595 Canadian now on the site. Not sure how they’ll wear over time though.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is a pair that Dan Frappier (Heels n Soles in Sudbury). Everything flush, and barely visible. Screws and plate were not sanded down. One of the better cobblers in the country.
20200212_065407.jpg
20200212_065355.jpg
20200212_065346.jpg
20200212_065340.jpg
20200212_065334.jpg

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
To be honest they seem to be pretty good value from what I’ve seen in person. In terms of finish, I think they’re even better than AE. It bothers me how AE barely bothers sanding the edges of the soles properly or doesn’t go over the welt with a fudge wheel, and they’re $595 Canadian now on the site. Not sure how they’ll wear over time though.
I think they definitely are of good value and may be the best entry level into higher quality shoes you can find in Toronto. AE has nicer feeling and looking leather and 360 degree GYW compared to the Spier... but the the difference in price sure warrants giving them a try. (How I miss the days when AEs were about $350 at Harry Rosen and $395 everywhere else!)

chiggyv

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the number of you going for toe taps as opposed to topys. Given our climate I always leaned towards full sole coverage, although I should consider heel taps to counter my ugly heel drag.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised by the number of you going for toe taps as opposed to topys. Given our climate I always leaned towards full sole coverage, although I should consider heel taps to counter my ugly heel drag.
From what I understand, two different purposes. I normally get both. My toe areas do show more wear, but yes, the topy for our weather, and to increase longevity of leather soles. The Hanovers I posted above have both.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm assembling a few pairs to send to Martin Sugg in Thunder Bay (Timeless Shoe Repair). He does amazing work. If anyone wants to throw their shoes into my box for shipping, I won't charge you anything for it. Martin normally covers return postage given I send multiple pairs at a time.

I can meet you in downtown Toronto during work days, and Meadowvale area of Mississauga in evenings and weekends. I will ask that you arrange payments with Martin himself, as I won't act as the go between.

I will be seeing Corey Hiltz in Barrie (Fix em up shoe repair) and Gary Coakley in London (Coakleys) in the future. Likely summer. So again, if you have shoes you want those cobblers to fix, I will take them and bring them back. Again, no fee. Just something for the community. Plus I think it's important we support Canadian cobblers.

PM me anytime. My box to Martin will be sent sometime in the next few weeks.

SFC

EddieK

Reaction score

I have tried them on personally and the quality is great.
I've also talked to an avid shoe blogger and reviewer and he had been given a pair of shoes from the company to review. He had nothing but good things to say about it.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying out a cobbler in Saskatoon that is highly recommended by other reputable cobblers. Stay tuned:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.