• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

masernaut

Reaction score
Is it possible, in some way, to claim VAT back in Canada when purchasing from an EU nation? This is for an online order where the merchant does not remove VAT (although they should!).

mebiuspower

Reaction score
Is it possible, in some way, to claim VAT back in Canada when purchasing from an EU nation? This is for an online order where the merchant does not remove VAT (although they should!).
If an EU vendor does not agree to remove VAT when the shipping address is clearly outside of EU, I simply don't shop from them since they're scamming your money.

I've bought things in Europe in person that they'll take off VAT right away if I offer to pay cash.

masernaut

Reaction score
If an EU vendor does not agree to remove VAT when the shipping address is clearly outside of EU, I simply don't shop from them since they're scamming your money.

I've bought things in Europe in person that they'll take off VAT right away if I offer to pay cash.
That's how it should be but this retailer said their online website does not deduct VAT.

Bjorling

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the Lipson sale and can report on what's available?

APF_TO

Reaction score
Gentlemen, where can I purchase a decent ironing board (Brabantia or similar) downtown? I’ve tried the obvious ones (The Bay, Bed Bath & Beyond, HomeSense) but so far no-one seems to stock ironing boards.

Reaction score
Have you guys purchased anything from Herring shoes or A fine pair of shoes from UK (they ship via DHL and FedEx)? Did you guys pay any import duty and taxes? I have been looking for a pair of Tricker's boots recently and they are having a sale for $443 (without VAT) and I believe Woolridge Shoes has them for $500 (pre-tax). Not sure which one's going to work out for me.

APF_TO

Reaction score
Have you guys purchased anything from Herring shoes or A fine pair of shoes from UK (they ship via DHL and FedEx)? Did you guys pay any import duty and taxes? I have been looking for a pair of Tricker's boots recently and they are having a sale for $443 (without VAT) and I believe Woolridge Shoes has them for $500 (pre-tax). Not sure which one's going to work out for me.
I don’t have experience with those stores but I have used Robinson’s Shoes and I believe I did pay duty in Canada (but no VAT). I’d be curious to hear other opinions as well. If the prices are close (~$50) after duty, etc., I would purchase from Ivor at Woolridge Shoes anyway. He will make sure you get the right size and I like to support stores like his.

Ivor sometimes has a “20% off this group”. Not sure if he has a sale on right now, but I would expect he will this time of year. If the ones you like are part of the sale that may also influence your decision.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Barker's from Herring shoes a few years ago.

It came through DHL who took an administrative fee for paying the duties for me ahead of time.

Personally, I would also prefer Ivor's store. He will make sure you're fitted properly, and there's no suprise on the price.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No experience with either, but I recently bought a pair of $500ish CAD boots from Sweden shipped UPS and I paid $60 CAD. A few years ago that would have been an easy $150+, so I'm ok with it.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
There’s no duty anymore for made in UK shoes shipped from the UK. Expect to pay HST + a $10 admin fee. DHL will get you every time, Royal Mail via Canada Post only sometimes. VAT deduction is up to the retailer. It should be deducted for overseas orders but some places don’t do it, and simply pocket the money.

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light for me on the Ermenegildo Zegna "Su Misura" line? I know it's MTM but I was wondering if anyone has additional information who has used the service before? Are there superior fabrics that are offered specifically for the service? Is it a lot more expensive than regular mainline Zegna? I don't live close to a Harry Rosen store.
Not superior fabrics. Just a wider selection.
From what a HR SA has told me (take it with a grain of salt), He basically said there are 4 categories of Zegna. The top being Zegna Couture which is fully canvassed with a high amount of hand work, he then said the Su Misura MTM line ranked second being made in their Stabio Switzerland factory and has some hand work. The mainline Ermenegildo Zegna is also fully canvassed and is made in Italy, Switzerland but also Spain (Barcelona) and Mexico City.
Z Zegna is the fashion forward fused collection of suits that are often produced in Mexico and sometimes China as well.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40