• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

have a question in regard to customs from Europe.

I have ordered a pair of boot from Carmina site.

They charged euro, when I ask them to ship the item to US address instead of CAN they said that they need to charge additional 150 euro. I don't understand the reason why. And I'm wondering if I have to pay duty when custom clearing the items if ship to CAN or US

Also, what are your experiences with buying items from the US, Europe, and the UK?

Thank a lot !

Can't understand why they have to charge 150 euros to ship to US instead of Can. Is US not in the list of countries to ship when yo checked out?

Haven't got anything directly from Carmina but I bought from Skolyx twice, both times I was only charged the retail tax (in BC it's 12% + $15 fee from DHL, no duty so it seems like couriers are aware of CETA now).

xchen176

Reaction score
Can't understand why they have to charge 150 euros to ship to US instead of Can. Is US not in the list of countries to ship when yo checked out?

Haven't got anything directly from Carmina but I bought from Skolyx twice, both times I was only charged the retail tax (in BC it's 12% + $15 fee from DHL, no duty so it seems like couriers are aware of CETA now).

I’m glad that’s the case for you.

I emailed carmina, currently waiting for response. Will update once get any response !

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

have a question in regard to customs from Europe.

I have ordered a pair of boot from Carmina site.

They charged euro, when I ask them to ship the item to US address instead of CAN they said that they need to charge additional 150 euro. I don't understand the reason why. And I'm wondering if I have to pay duty when custom clearing the items if ship to CAN or US

They’re probably charging the duty themselves on the order to the US. Carmina has a specific site for US customers so maybe they’re trying to not undercut whatever price they’re charging there. Otherwise everyone in the US would order from the EU site.

gmehra

Reaction score
I just found out that one of the requirements of CETA is that the goods needs to be made in the EU and shipped from a EU country. so for example if you ordered a pair of carmina shoes from a retailer in the USA or Norway you would not be eligible for CETA. thought that was interesting

xchen176

Reaction score
I just found out that one of the requirements of CETA is that the goods needs to be made in the EU and shipped from a EU country. so for example if you ordered a pair of carmina shoes from a retailer in the USA or Norway you would not be eligible for CETA. thought that was interesting

Thanks for the information !!!

xchen176

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to update on carmina shoes.

So yes, there’s two different website for carmina. Europe and US.

And based on my experience, it seems like if we are in Canada is better to order from the Europe site since we have the CETA.

If we are ordering from the US site they will charge for custom and HST.

I guess that’s the reason why when I ask them to ship to US instead of Canada they require me to pay additional 150$.

——————-

Do you guys have experience buying from Yeossal and Luxire?

How will the custom clearance for India and Singapore?

Thanks,

xchen176

Reaction score
Yeossal use carrier, Dhl I think, you will be paying tax and duties for sure. They have good customer service, I particularly like their polo shirts. ( but they don’t seem last too many wash’s)

thanks for your reply.

I really interested in their trousers. If that’s the case I might just try S&M first I guess.
Tax and duties are a serious turnoff when shopping board.

I purchased a J Fitzpatrick summer, the shoe itself only cost 225 USD, and I paid around 150$ Canadian for custom clearance. That’s nearly 50% of the total item cost.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for your reply.

I really interested in their trousers. If that’s the case I might just try S&M first I guess.
Tax and duties are a serious turnoff when shopping board.

I purchased a J Fitzpatrick summer, the shoe itself only cost 225 USD, and I paid around 150$ Canadian for custom clearance. That’s nearly 50% of the total item cost.

I cannot recall the exact tax/ duties I paid, but think around15 - 20%? Not as crazy as your example there.

Brought the one piece collar shirt to s&m chatted with them, they are working on that kind of collar but don’t have it yet. Hopefully they have it soon, I like face to face communication...

xchen176

Reaction score
I cannot recall the exact tax/ duties I paid, but think around15 - 20%? Not as crazy as your example there.

Brought the one piece collar shirt to s&m chatted with them, they are working on that kind of collar but don’t have it yet.

Lol, believe or not.

I bought that style of polo from “taobao”this summer while I was in China. It just pop up while I was browsing .

It was about 50 cad, and overall quality is pretty decent. Again, you get what you pay right.

borbor

Reaction score
does anyone know where one could get some boot trees locally?

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Always be ready for unexpected wallet pain while purchasing online. Always.

While it does feel like a punch to the jaw at times - I took a roughly $200~ hit on my Camoshita suit jacket last year IIRC, which I was bracing for - you can take solace in that at least it happened to you while buying it at sale price, rather than at full price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads