• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the Aura centre cursed? Most of the shop spaces are empty, and the food court stalls never last very long. They are on prime real estate but for some reason, don't seem to attract volume.

What food stalls do you recommend from there? I really liked the Japanese curry place, but it's closed now :(

Had this exact thought today when I walked by and saw the shoe Care sign. Miss that Japanese place.

IIRC the Aura basement was advertised pre-construction as being linked to PATH in the future. Turned out the developer meant "maybe kinda probably could be linked to PATH in the future". I believe there was a lawsuit over this at, not sure what ended up happening.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh... I ordered Mealpal, didn't have too many experience with that plaza.

The shoecare place is mostly for sneakers, not for dress shoes.

I checked out the store. They also sell Saphir MDO. Prices varied from 25-40.

borbor

Reaction score
going to pay yanagimachi a visit next month. can't wait.

terratoise

Reaction score
Where do you guys recommend looking for all-season dress pants? Trying to find some budget-friendly pants for work.

iliamerk

Reaction score
Where do you guys recommend looking for all-season dress pants? Trying to find some budget-friendly pants for work.
I’ve been interested in trying out the stuff from Spier & MacKay. They seem to be pretty affordable at $115 or so for dress pants. I’ve typically gone for MTM Coppley and Samuelsohn, as well as ZZegna dress pants in the past but looking for something more budget friendly for the work rotation. Curious if anyone else has some experience.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been interested in trying out the stuff from Spier & MacKay. They seem to be pretty affordable at $115 or so for dress pants. I’ve typically gone for MTM Coppley and Samuelsohn, as well as ZZegna dress pants in the past but looking for something more budget friendly for the work rotation. Curious if anyone else has some experience.

You know there's a sizable thread dedicated to that vendor? ;)

Jaggery

Reaction score
If you can get to Spier & MacKay in person, my advice is to visit their store and introduce yourself. They have two cuts of trousers, which can be hemmed by an alterations tailor. If you like the way one fits, you can browse their online selection and may not need to search any further. Some of the fabrics wouldn’t be my first choice, but they have a wide selection and generous return policy.

Also of possible interest as an alternative (or complement) in the GTA: Nordstrom carries a slightly different inventory here as compared to their US channels. I’ve found the Jack Victor pants at their Eaton Centre location to be a solid value on sale. Union made in Canada, according to the tag.

Last edited:

WatchMeSpend

Reaction score
If you can get to Spier & MacKay in person, my advice is to visit their store and introduce yourself. They have two cuts of trousers, which can be hemmed by an alterations tailor. If you like the way one fits, you can browse their online selection and probably need not search further. Some of the fabrics wouldn’t be my first choice, but they have a wide selection and generally allow returns.

Also of possible interest to people in the GTA: Nor

I'm going there now for another suit or blazer I don't need!!

Jaggery

Reaction score
I'm going there now for another suit or blazer I don't need!!

Lest anyone suspect this thread is just one big echo chamber, I’ve never bought a shirt, blazer, or suit from Spier as I’ve found more flattering fits off-the-rack elsewhere. But the pants are a model of what’s possible at their price point.

Last edited:

LaymanX

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get flamed for this. But every single piece of S&M I've gotten fits great, but quickly falls apart. Talking about seams unravelling, buttons falling off after gentle washes, etc.

Just my experience of course.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lest anyone suspect this thread is just one big echo chamber, I’ve never bought a shirt, blazer, or suit from Spier as I’ve found more flattering fits off-the-rack elsewhere. But the pants are a model of what’s possible at their price point.
I'm probably going to get flamed for this. But every single piece of S&M I've gotten fits great, but quickly falls apart. Talking about seams unravelling, buttons falling off after gentle washes, etc.

I have never bought SM clothes, so can't comment.

I too buy OTR suits and they seem to hold up well. I have Hugo Boss, Baumler, and some Burberrys. I have a tailor tighten things up. Most of my suits are pushing 10+ years. I do have a rotation of about 20 suits and have 5-6 in use, with a few sports jackets to back up.

I would eventually like to move to something like SM or even Maxwell's from Hong Kong.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Their shirts have held up fine for me, but no experience with the other offerings.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother swears by their shirting too. I've only purchased wool trousers and 2 polo shirts on sale.

They're fine workhorse shirts imo. The stitching isn't always the best, and the fabric can be hit or miss, but for $40-50 USD on sale, they're a great deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads