1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

@clarksdb - for you as well:

I like the heavier rubber over boots. I keep finding them on kijiji or thrift stores. NOS condition, made in Canada, and likely designated for military use. They keep me dry and warm.

This exact pair and style:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-clothing-me...ts/1408355720?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2. suitforcourt

Hi Francis,

This is a rather long answer, and I thought about PMing you, but maybe a few other gents want to know the answer as well.

So I got into the nicer dress shoes scene just over 10 years ago when I entered the workforce. I wear orthotics so I needed well made shoes to keep my feet happy. I did my own research and came across Dacks, AE, CJ to start... and the rest is history. I then started to look for cobblers who can rebuild with JR soles. Not a lot of options. I turned to this website:

Shoe Service Institute of America - a voluntary association of shoe cobblers from across the world. They hold annual competitions and a few Canadian cobblers have won awards in these competitions:
    https://www.ssia.info/awards/silver-cup-class-of-2017/

In terms of cobblers I have used, here are the SF reviews that I have made:

1. Bay Bloor Shoe Repair in Toronto - Alphonse was the "go to" cobbler back in the day when Dacks had stores. Ivor Woolridge, who used to work for Dacks, and now runs his own shoe store in the Path, still recommends people use BBSR.

I have done a few pairs where he replaced heels and put on topy. The work is good. I did one full rebuild and I thought the work was acceptable:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/toronto-cobblers.239806/page-6

If my memory is correct, $145 for JR sole recraft. This was back in 2017.

2. Timeless Shoe Repair in Thunder Bay (Martin Sugg) - Martin won an award at the last SSIA competition. I had him rebuild a heel of a pair of Hawkins (similar and in fact same factory as Dr. Martens). No one in GTA was willing or able to do it.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/timeless-shoe-repair-thunder-bay-ontario.624084/#post-9551197

I will be sending him a pair of shell cordovan for a full rebuild with JR soles in near future. I will update. I follow his facebook page, and the pics of his work is great. Martin quoted me $200 for JR sole rebuild.

3. Heels N Soles in Sudbury (Dan Frappier) - I like Dan's work. I've done 2 full rebuilds and a few other pairs with just new heels and topy.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/heels-n-soles-sudbury-ontario-shoe-repair.606016/

Dan also won an award at last SSIA competition. He asked that I keep his prices confidential, so you'd have to contact him to see what you'd have to pay.

4. Quick Cobbler in Vancouver (Ron Nijdmin and sons) - I have rebuilt 3 pairs with these guys. Great work.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/quick-cobbler-vancouver-canada.536847/page-4#post-9309196

Their website currently says $199 for full rebuild, BUT includes return postage and topy. That's a pretty good deal!

https://www.quickcobbler.com/recrafting

Assuming 150 for rebuild, 40 for topy, and then return postage... Not a crazy price. Ron and son Pat have won awards at the competitions.

5. L'atelier de l'egide in Montreal (Laurent Halimi) - I rebuilt one pair with him. $250 which included return postage back in 2016.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/l’atelier-de-l’Égide-laurent-halimi-shoe-cobbler-cordwainer-in-montreal-quebec.528739/page-2#post-9607496

Most work done by hand. Results were great, but obviously pricey.

-------------------

So the other places you asked about.

6. Shoe Medic - I talked to the cobbler at the Maplebview Mall in Burlington. Not sure if they're a chain, or same owner.
    They wanted $250 for JR sole rebuild. I asked if they would replace the cork, remove old stitching, or the welt. He couldn't answer those questions. He kept saying: I'm an experienced cobbler. I can do anything.

I won't use a professional or crafts person who is evasive about the work I want them to do.

7. Sole Survivor (assuming you're talking about the one in Kensington Market) - I went into their store initially just to buy shoelaces and some leather conditioner. Since I was already there, I asked about replacing soles for Blundstones and Dr. Martens. They said it can't be done. Their position went even broader by saying no cobbler can do the work, because it requires the factory machines, materials, and glue.

I can tell you that all of the above cobblers have done it, and will do it. I have seen pics on Quick Cobbler, Heels N Soles, and Timeless where the soles of Dr. Martens and Blundstones were fully replaced.

I then asked about leather sole replacement. They quoted me $150. I asked if they had JR sole. They did not. I asked if they would replace cork, remove old stitching, or the welt. They had NO IDEA what I was asking. Their answer was simple: I should send my shoes back to the original manufacturer, or buy a new pair, if so many things are wrong with the shoes.

Yeah. I would never let them fix my shoes.

8. Nicks on Dupont - I have seen their work on a few pairs of my friend's shoes. He likes them. The out sole stitching, was not inside of a groove, so not protected. That stitching wore away quickly after a few wears. I e-mailed Nick asking if they had JR soles. Never heard of JR. I asked about removing old stitches, replacing welt and cork... he didn't answer those questions.

Not for me.

---------------------

My opinion and $2 gets you a coffee at Tim Hortons.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

3. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

^^^ How can we possibly get that good info stickied somewhere?

4. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior Member

Anthropology won't have sizes 18-24. Downtown, you would be looking at Addition Elle at Yong and Queen or Torrid in the Eaton Centre. In Yorkville there is a Maria Rinaldi which is higher end.

5. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

Wasn’t there also a new place next door to Spier and Mackay’s downtown location? Anyone with firsthand experience?

6. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

I’ve been meaning to drop some shoes off to him (Rob?) for sunken plates. Will report back!

7. standaloneprotein

standaloneprotein Well-Known Member

I gave him 3 shoes for rubber soles and he did a good job. Nice guy, excellent location.

IMG_0368.JPG

8. suitforcourt

How much for a set of Topy?

9. standaloneprotein

standaloneprotein Well-Known Member

10. Encore

Encore Senior Member

Thought that I should provide some update on the Enzo Bonafe MTO.

So They made the upper and put the outsole on for testing, the outsole will be replaced later.

There's some extra material at the upper, it's a bit puffy, they will adjust it for me.

Still happy with the order.
    C27535FE-7BF9-4D42-91E9-AE7AD9CD6A6F.jpeg 63F19904-AB77-45AC-9747-FE92D05451D0.jpeg 35F080C1-9CD7-4F43-9F9F-259B975BF2EA.jpeg F250D947-FE9F-4152-81EE-65DC3E6E01F2.jpeg EA6B80AF-7A75-40BE-96EF-1B54C2109FD2.jpeg

11. hrv123

hrv123 Senior Member

Has anyone been to an Orazio Luciano trunk show hosted at Via Cavour? Any clue about pricing?

12. suitforcourt

Those are just next level. What colour slacks would you wear with those? Dark jeans?

13. Encore

Encore Senior Member

Thanks. Dark trousers likely.

14. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Very high. I asked a few years back. That said, if you can afford it, go for it.

15. smoothguyto

smoothguyto Member

I apologize if this isn't the right thread to ask this question but I'm trying to sign up for an Alden pre-order at Brick + Mortar and they will only ship within the US. How do you guys get packages into Canada from companies like that?