1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Encore

Encore Senior Member

Thank you.

2. mlstein

mlstein Well-Known Member

Off topic I know, but... . We'll be in TO Saturday, mostly downtown. (Staying on Jarvis at Dundas, early dinner and opera.) I know where I would go but my wife is looking for good mid line clothing in larger sizes, 18-24 maybe. Neither cheap nor extravagant, neither trendy nor dull. Any ideas?

3. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior Member

Anecdotally, I've heard this has to do with items being delivered into the GTA crossing at a CBSA port which is more diligent in collecting duties.

When I was living in Downtown Toronto I was always getting nailed. Since moving to Southwestern Ontario 2 years ago I've yet to see a tax/duties bill from Canada Post.

4. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior Member

Head to Queen West near Trinity Bellwoods. Anthropology has been a popular spot for my female counterparts, and there's a ton of other smaller women's stores along that strip.

5. BudFox92

BudFox92 Well-Known Member

When you guys sell things and receive offers you don't like, do you decline them or start crying like a snowflake? @Encore

6. Encore

Encore Senior Member

When you guys low·balling people and get muted, do you consider about making realistic offer in the future or start crying like a snowflake?

7. Encore

Encore Senior Member

to answer your question, I reject them, in the cases when I think the offer is too unrealistic, I mute people and tell them I mute them so that I don't waste their time in sending more offers.

I don't know how to show list of people I mute in the forum, but I can tell u there's only one on the list. maybe I should add NNN too.

8. Francis Lee

Francis Lee Member

Hey guys,

I just wanted to compare prices for re-soling shoes at cobblers. I got quoted $160 for a full resole with JR soles for my Florsheims at ShoeMedic at Oakville Place.
    I want to know if you guys know or any other places. The only two other places I know are Sole Survivor and Nick's, but I have not gone to the latter. I don't know what sole options they offer though.

Thanks!

9. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Francis - I will respond to this later today. I have used numerous award winning cobblers in Canada.

Do not use Shoe Medic or Sole Survivor. Some guys here like Nicks, but I don’t. My full response with recommendations to come.

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

And around how long does a sole last? My soles take a beating because I can't help but wear them in the winter too. That would be on dry days but the salt is killer it looks like for the soles.

11. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Depends on your rotation. I have 45 pairs of dress shoes and wear them 20-25 days a month. I recently resoled 2 pairs after 10 years of use. The one pair of Dacks went through heavy use for 5 years.

To protect shoes, use rubber over shoes or over boots in the winter. It will prolong their life.

12. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Wear boots.

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Well, you likely won't get a year out of those soles if you're wearing them through the winter. Obviously, single leather soles don't last as long as double leather soles. Why not go to a cobbler and get a topy for $40-60?

Seconded. Was never much of a boot guy until the last 1-2 winters.

14. Encore

Encore Senior Member

Seconded.

15. whirlwynds

whirlwynds Well-Known Member

Anyone ever consider Neos overshoes? A little overkill but given all the slush we’ve had could be good.

Also where can i buy flat waxed laces in town?