1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior Member

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the responses. It's given me a lot to think about.

As for the 'Canadian' angle, it's definitely one of the challenges - but something I'm interested in. I think number one will be highlighting Canadian content - stores, brands, tastemakers, etc. I think that's lacking when I flip through something like Sharp. Also, with the Canadian dollar being as weak as it is, I find a lot of deals at American or European stores less attractive. Highlighting Canadian alternatives would be a main goal.

This thread is a great example - there's a lot of cool stuff happening in our little corner of the world, and I think it would be interesting to highlight and explore. I'm not really expecting that I'll eventually quit my job to do this full time. In fact, I don't really expect to make any money at all. It's more of a personal interest/learning experience type of project.

Anyway, I'm going to brainstorm over the next week or so and see what I come up with.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

2. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Distinguished Member

I would love to read a specifically Canadian fashion blog, with the emphasis being on Canadian. I do agree that there needs to be specific Canadian content, and Canadian alternatives to recommended American stores. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. jokb

jokb Senior Member

I think this is a great idea Nick! Let me know if I can help.

4. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

I like the idea @NickInTO. I browse the instragram pages of some of the "influencers" in Toronto - mainly Lance Chung, since I like his style. There are a few others that have just garbage content, so I would definitely be up for something that provides good substantive content regardless.

And then if it also had a spin in that it actually talked about what was good and where you could get deals in Canada, I'd be all over that.

5. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Quote:+1. I'd be intrested in reading the blog.

6. Nik Telford

Not strictly on topic but this is really the thread for all things Canada. I'm going to Niagara Falls with my girlfriend for labour day weekend, any recommendations for shops or restaurants to hit up? Places to avoid?

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

I'm from around NF

Avoid Clifton Hill if you can. Head north and take a hike at the Niagara Glen (you can walk down and get right next to the rapids) and go to the botanical gardens afterwards. If you don't want to drive there's a bus run by the parks commission which can take you up and down from there. There are some excellent dining options down the road in Niagara on the Lake, along with wineries, less so in the Falls. If you're planted in NF you're mainly stuck with American chains or Italian food. Casa Mia is alright, and Anitca pizza is good, though I like Koutouki a lot (if you're into Greek food).

8. ryanginger

ryanginger Member

9. Nik Telford

That sounds fantastic, and looks even better. Plus its right near our hotel, will definitely hit it up. Thanks for the tips guys!

10. rwtc

rwtc Senior Member

Was informed by the gentleman at Leatherfoot that they'll be carrying Alden starting September

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

11. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Distinguished Member

Ya they put out an email last winter saying Alden is coming in March. Obviously that did not happen. Spoke to one of the Alden reps who said no shell for them, at least not their first run.

Might be a long wait yet!

12. ryanginger

ryanginger Member

+1. Each time I've been there they've been "just about to start carrying Alden" or "getting a bunch of Carmina in".

13. EssenceofTao

EssenceofTao Active Member

Leatherfoot told me both shipments were delayed and that they'd be getting them in Fall.

14. ryanginger

ryanginger Member

I'm hopeful. It's good to have higher quality footwear available in town, but I still think the $400-$800 ranges are under-served; I can't justify Lobb or St. Crispin prices. Had my eyes on some Carmina captoes, but none in stock.

15. emidyl

emidyl Senior Member

alternatively you can get Alden from Lost & Found. Jonathan will look after your needs.

It's too bad about the delay WRT Carmina SS15 at Leatherfoot. Was looking forward to some suedes since April, but will purchase elsewhere now.