1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 12 : Löf and Tung MTO shoes from Skoaktiebolaget

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 12th auction of the year is for a pair of Löf and Tung MTO (made-to-order) shoes from Skoaktiebolaget. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

Are they the guy who posts outfit layouts on Reddit MFA from time to time? If not, it's some other high-end menswear store in a place you might not expect. Thinking more, it may not be the same place, cause I thought it was mentioned it was in Oakville at some point.

2. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Distinguished Member

I don't check Reddit MFA, so I'm not sure. The place in Oakville you're referring is Lalondes?

3. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

That might be it. He doesn't really publicize the store as he doesn't want it to be blatant marketing.

4. yusufhar

yusufhar Well-Known Member

The store in Oakville is Blazer for men, Lalondes is their online version. Newman’s is a great sport in Hamilton, when I last went he said it was unlikely Ring Jacket would do on sale, but if it’s included in the discount that’s pretty awesome. Their prices for ring jacket are comparable to the US.

5. Thepreppygoon

Thepreppygoon Member

Did I miss something? Is there a retailer that sells Ring Jacket in Toronto or is this my own wishful thinking taking over?

6. rankiba

rankiba Member

Newman's in Hamilton is definitely selling Ring Jacket

7. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Leatherfoot sold Ring Jacket.

8. Thepreppygoon

Thepreppygoon Member

Thanks folks!

What happened to them? It always looked like such a beautiful store but looked shuttered last I saw, they’ve been in Toronto for what seemed like ages, did they shut down?

9. MGD83

MGD83 Distinguished Member

Yes, the store front no longer exists and I believe that the online retail site is no longer active. Its a bit of a shame really, as I had purchased several pairs of Carmina shoes from them over the years and the selection was quite good, although limited. I always thought that there was a place for that type of store in Toronto, selling high end, well made shoe brands with history and classic style. Toronto is a running shoe and joggers with everything type of town these days, and it seems most people would glady spend 600 or 700 dollars on a pair of common projects sneakers then a pair of Crockett and Jones. Most are still oblivious to what it means to own a good pair of shoes.

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

A store like that still has legs in Toronto...

Making it a fancy boutique not in the core with bespoke clothing as your “headliner”, not so much.

11. MGD83

MGD83 Distinguished Member

Originally the headliner was shoes. Clothing was added much later on. Maybe that was the downfall

12. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

I don't know what the downfall was. But duties didn't help. If CETA was in effect when they opened, they might have been able to generate more business. Most of us (I'm assuming) are price sensitive, and paying an extra $200 for shoes (through no fault of the vendor) makes it a difficult market. That said, I hope Ivor's place is doing well. Has anybody stopped by recently?

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

That’s exactly what I’m saying.

Stock levels on shoes lacked, Carmina restock was an 18 month process, etc... GG and EG came and went in the blink of an eye.

Now I wish I did a St.C trunk when the opportunity was there :(

14. djdanniedee

djdanniedee Senior Member

You might have dodged a bullet with the STC trunk. Some who commissioned near the end didn't get their shoes and had issues trying to get refunds.

15. NoNameNecessary

NoNameNecessary Senior Member

CETA was not a factor, or only has marginal effect. Retailers can’t lower their price because the brands won’t allow them. Wholesale price is like 30% of retail or less. CETA may slightly increase their margin but it cannot be transferred to customer. So CETA basically have zero effect on local retailers but only works well if you shop online directly.