The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Dennis Chung

Dennis Chung Member

Pediwear is offering lasted shoe trees with purchase. Just submitted my order. Thanks all for the tips.

2. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Vaughan Mills has an Asics store that also sells Tigers at around a $88 pricepoint. However, another member here or on NikeTalk posted about this place:

http://www.gentlemensquest.com/product-category/footwear/onitsuka-tiger/

Legit and if he has your size, a lot cheaper.

3. ino68

ino68 Senior member

The AS for JCrew that I saw at the Bloor street 'boutique' were definitely some kind of middle grade, not exclusive grade as sold by AFPOS, pediwear, etc.

4. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

I somehow missed this store when I explored Yorkville a few weeks ago. I see that he carries Lardini, The Gigi and Boglioli, which intrigues me.

I think a SF meetup would be great to have.

$88 sounds like US pricing. In my mind it's hardly a bargain, but I've seen them going for more at stores such as the one on Queen St. near MuchMusic. I recall a conversation with a guy in Square One where he told me he got his for less at Toronto Premium Outlets. Hmm...

Thanks for pointing out that other store. I see some size 8's on the website but my shoe size is 7.5. Granted, I've fit perfectly in size 8 Nike's in the past...

5. Montecristo905

Montecristo905 Well-Known Member

Great shop! High quality clothing & popular, maybe niche brands such as Herno, Lanvin, Lardini.

Owner is friendly & knowledgeable.

6. nkwu

nkwu Well-Known Member

I made a post looking for installers for sunken toe plates in the city as well. (...I think it was in this thread) and was trying to reply to an old reply to it... For whatever it is worth, Novelty doesn't do it, because of the effort required (presumably the effort required that you described). He said there used to be a guy who did it, but since he doesn't work there anymore they can't do 'em.

7. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

If anyone is still interested, Nick's Custom Boots on Dupont does this. $25 to have them installed if you supply the plates. I would assume around $40 with theirs.
    I cannot comment on their work as I have sent mine to Vass and will pick them up in Budapest in a week, hopefully along with a few pairs of Vass. [​IMG]

8. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Thanks for this info - amazing what information you can find out about the city! Hoping to check them out soon.

9. Spex

Spex Senior member

If anyone in the T.O. area is interested in a fully canvassed Samuelsohn sport coat, I have one that I simply don't get enough use from, and would consider trading for something more useful to me. So if you wear a 38-40 jacket and are interested, let me know what other kinds of jackets you might have in this size. I also take a 15.5-35 shirt, 32/34 pant and 10.5 shoe.

Depending on the light, this looks anywhere from a warm grey to a brown-tan. Fully lined, but lightweight. 100% wool. 20" chest, 19" waist, 30" length.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

10. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Does anyone here read any Canadian menswear blogs, magazines, etc?

I've been kicking around the idea of starting a blog for a while. Not with the plan to turn it into a business or anything, just as a creative outlet related to something I'm passionate about. I'm sure I'll do some typical stuff like "shoes every man needs" or "sales alert"-type stuff, but hopefully some more interesting things as well.

I'm not a menswear expert by any means. I make my living in journalism, and would probably take that approach to the blog - basically, ask questions to people who are smarter than me. I've done stories with Phillip Car from St. Crispins, the guys at Leatherfoot, the owner of Samuelsohn, and it's always gotten some traction through my current employer.

My fiance works in the online world of women's fashion/beauty/lifestyle and seems to think the men's side is lacking. I figured I'd put it to the target market - do people even care about this kind of thing?

11. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Would be great, between just Viberg, Reigning Champ, Naked and Famous - there are some pretty cool made in Canada stories to tell.

12. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Don't read any currently. Don't know of any. Haven't looked for one, but would read fairly regularly if it were focused on conservative menswear/style instead of #menswear.

You'd probably gets lots of free stuff, which is a cool bonus.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

13. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

I say go for it. However, as we all know the Canadian men's wear game is really lacking. Draw up a list of 40-50 topics you might write about and try and get some traction with people or business in the game.

Keep us posted!

14. mister_nostyle

mister_nostyle Well-Known Member

I don't read or know of any Canadian Fashion Blogs. Though I question what value would be added for a relatively small Canadian readership that they would not be getting out of other fashion blogs.

15. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I would be fully behind a blog that brought to light interests of Canadian men style/fashion. But as with any blog, content is King. Is there a specific "Canadian" spin?