1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Firefox

Firefox Senior Member

I checked out the Eaton Centre location. There were a few decent items, but nothing in my size that I really wanted to pay for. I was hoping to find a lighter-weight sportscoat in a lighter colour, but came up empty. Of course, it all depends on your size. The sizes at the ends of the spectrum (i.e. smaller or larger) seem to last longer than more common sizes.

I still have my $300 credit and I want to use it before my SA forgets/leaves/etc. I was considering just getting a MTM sportscoat done, but at non-trunk-sale prices it would probably still be close to a grand after tax, fabric, cuffs, etc. My SA was trying to sell me on a lightweight Maurizio Baldassari sports coat. I liked the fit and weight of the fabric, but wasn't a huge fan of the colour/pattern options. I also wasn't a fan of the $1300 price tag, which just seems too much for what it is (even with a $300 credit).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

2. jazzsol

jazzsol Senior Member

Does anyone on the forum have information about a menswear store in yorkville area called Nicholas? I bought something there years ago while in Toronto. Not sure of the correct name and if the store is still there.

3. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior Member

It's still there, but I've never actually been inside.

http://nicolastoronto.com/

4. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior Member

Do you mean the store at Toronto Premium Outlets? I've been meaning to check out the Asics store for Onitstuka Tigers, as well as the J. Crew outlet. I'll keep that in mind!

While I haven't checked out any of the Harry stores - I was in the downtown core today but was with a friend who I wasn't sure was willing to wait around while I browsed - I noticed online that some of their RLBL and Isaia suits are on sale. I would have considered RLBL if they had anything in my size...

I didn't know Holts was having a sale, though. Hmmm...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

5. jazzsol

jazzsol Senior Member

Thanks NickInTO. I believe it is the store going by the address and location. I will be in TO sometime this summer and curious to see what has become of the store.

6. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior Member

Enjoy the city. If you need any recommendations, I'm sure the posters in this thread can help you out.

7. Dennis Chung

Dennis Chung Member

Does anyone know of a local Alfred Sargent dealer?

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Distinguished Member

So the shop is called Nikolas, and the owner who's usually there is in fact Nikolas. Great store, very good service, good range of products and many of them are exclusive brands, you'll pay $$$ but get what you pay for.

I just organized a SF meetup at the store actually last fall and plan to do another meetup some time this summer, maybe there or somewhere else. I'll PM you guys whenever I have time to get something set up. Also if anyone has suggestions for meetup locations I'm open to it... message me.

9. AlfieEffie

AlfieEffie Member

You can buy Alfred Sargent at J.Crew.

10. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

J Crew website also ships Alfred Sargent to Canada, but not Alden.

11. Dennis Chung

Dennis Chung Member

Thanks. Looks like AS does a line for JCrew. I would like to pick up a pair of Armfield's, unfortunately these do not appear on JCrew's website.

12. AlfieEffie

AlfieEffie Member

You should just buy your English shoes online from Herring Shoes. Once you account for duties, you're still likely to be ahead of the Canadian or American prices for these shoes.

13. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

J Crew has sales that apply to AS. I've seen them at 30% off.

14. Dennis Chung

Dennis Chung Member

I don't mind paying a premium for a local dealer if it means I get to try on a pair for size. I will give Herring a try. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

15. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Distinguished Member

You can try Pediwear here. Just make sure they use Royal Mail to increase your odds of slipping by customs unscathed.

Customs/duties is 18% which is added to the value of your shoes on which taxes will then be calculated.