1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11 : Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

In case anyone needs shoes, Ivor Woolridge has a good number of pairs for 20% off. I only quickly glanced and saw mostly walnut, brown, and oxblood short wings. Not sure of brand(s) but he only carries a few names.

I will drop by tomorrow to take a look. Unfortunately I might have to grab a set if there are Sanders or Cheaney on sale.

2. induere_to

induere_to Senior Member

I not only work in the financial district, I sell suits in the financial district. I've been in the industry for a while now and have developed an unfortunate and rather plagued critical eye for fit. Every day I grow more and more existential.

3. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior Member

Please elaborate why you have come to this conclusion...clients preferring pants that are too short/tight? Sleeves that are too short on the suit jacket? Suit jacket too short to cover their behind?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

4. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Distinguished Member

Just a heads up for anyone still using CrossBorderPickups and not sure if just me but they are now not accepting any of my custom values entered without PayPal receipts. They are trying to put the retail price on used items

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

5. suitforcourt

Thanks for the shout out.

6. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior Member

Looks like I'm done with CBP. Ability to declare price paid without a receipt was the biggest draw for me.

7. suitforcourt

What service will you use now?

8. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior Member

I have siblings living in the US who receive my parcels. I pick-up them up when we meet up for reunions (at least twice a year on average). If timed properly, I also have parcels delivered to my hotel when travelling in the US for business. TBH,
    I only used CBP on two occasions when I felt impatient and wanted the item sooner than later.

9. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Distinguished Member

My last 4 packages arrived without pricing or receipts and they rejected the value I entered and asked for the receipts. Some were gifts too of used clothing which makes things even more complicated and I still don't have a resolution. They won't let me even pick them up from the USA warehouse

10. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior Member

That really sucks, hope that there's a positive outcome for you.

I wonder if CBSA started to clamp down on them or if CBP felt that they were missing out on some revenue.

11. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Are you kidding? That's the worst! The nice thing about this was being able to enter in your own custom value. Thanks for the heads up. CBP is now dead to me.

Although - the last time they wanted to slap on $150 in tax and duties on a pair of used Vibergs I ordered from eBay. Because the boot said "Made in England," referring to the Dainite sole, they immediately assumed the entirety of the boot was made in the UK.

No matter how much I argued, they wouldn't budge on this - even with links and info sent on Viberg - which is very clearly a Canadian company. I had to pay for UPS to collect the package and ship it to a cousin's down south.

12. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

There's no revenue for them to miss. They'll collect their fee of shipping/processing each item in the end. CBP's job is only to collect the tax/duty and send it off to the CBSA.

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

On a positive note, the new NAFTA deal (USMCA) means our duty exemption rises to $150 CAD.

14. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior Member

Gotcha, so CBSA closed a loophole that many of us appreciated.

15. gj555

gj555 Senior Member

I just shipped some used shell Allen Edmonds through CBP into Canada last week and was not asked for any proof of purchase price. That said, I don't have issue providing it.

Are people consistently under valuing what they are bringing into the country to save money? i.e. paid 100 but claiming 20? If so, perhaps CBP feels they need to stop that practice or are being forced by CBSA to do that. Otherwise, unless the goal is to manipulate the price to save on import costs, I can't think of a good reason not to send the receipt.