The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I think all of the above are decent to very good options, but I think many would pay a premium for some Italian craftsmanship. Such is the niche interest on the forum.

I have suits from most of the above (minus Ferrigamo) and while they are certainly excellent, I'd still be willing to pay for that experience.

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Yeah I noticed that just after I posted... There is no denying that if you look in the affiliate thread there are some beautiful jackets made by DR (Bespoke) I think it was his MTM under scrutiny.

I can't afford Bespoke anyway; but one day I'd love a jacket from D.R, B&T, or pretty much any Italian outfit.

3. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

4. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

+1. If new visitors to StyleForum take away nothing else, I hope they learn that when building a wardrobe, they should start from the shoes up.

My grandfather had an oft-repeated philosophy that a pair of nice, well-maintained shoes can make up for mediocre clothing far better than a set of nice clothes can make up for dirty, mediocre shoes. To this day, I think he was dead on. Working in downtown Toronto, I can't believe the number of guys I see with nice suits and crappy shoes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

5. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

That's brilliant. I'm going to use that to justify every pair of shoes from now on. "Do you really need another pair of shoes dear?" "I'm building my wardrobe from the shoes up."

6. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

I've contemplated doing the salesman job at Harry's a couple of times. The thought of not hitting the quota for an extended period makes me hesitant.

I currently work part-time at a shopping centre and the number of square toes I see during each shift frightens and depresses me. I've always wanted to ask somebody wearing square-toed shoes what possessed them into buying, but I don't have the heart to.

I occasionally ask men what shoes they wear, both during my job and when I'm out on the street. One night I was at the Union GO Bus Terminal and I asked a younger guy what he was wearing. "Allen Edmonds," he replied. I complimented him with a "you have good taste" and proceeded to board my bus. During a work shift, I bumped into two guys at a directory, one of them wearing a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile boots. We had a pleasant conversation, with him advising me to go on eBay for them where he found his pair for around $250 New. [​IMG]

Those two examples are the only times where I've heard a brand with any sort of positive reputation being mentioned. I get a fair number of Aldos and Steve Maddens, with the occasional Cole Haan. The Cole Haan examples end up disappointing me more as they often look nice enough to catch my attention.

It's true: it's as if shoes are an afterthought for the minds of many men. And it's saddening.

7. 6up

6up Senior member

Hey K,

Head to that HBC outlet in Milton. If you are lucky, you can score them for under $200.

8. jokb

jokb Senior member

Right on! when i was still married, this justification sorta worked for me. Although it's a little hard to sell when you start having more pairs then your wife. The solution? let her buy more shoes as well! [​IMG]

9. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

Haha I'm not married, but my girlfriend loves to tease me about my shoe collection. I'd love to get her a pair of those carmina boots Skoaktiebolaget has up but I have too many of my own orders still in progress.

10. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

A few months ago, I was lacing my Strands in the change room at Goodlife and I heard "nice shoes!". I looked up to say thank you and he was wearing the same pair.

Another time, I saw a dude wearing Alden's on the subway platform at Osgoode.

Those are my only two SF-meets real world experiences I've had, other than a few friends (literally two) who are also SF'ers.

11. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

@jok I definitely know the feeling. I've tried to squeeze as many as I can only shoe rack but it's only a matter of time before it starts spreading. She'll definitely notice at that point :(

Just as an aside on the whole shoe compliments thing. If anyone in the US compliments you on your shoes, you're probably in for a scam shoe shining. Best to nod and walk off. Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans especially.

12. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Anyone checked out the sales at Harry's or Holt's? Anything interesting?

13. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I'll check Holt's after work. Don't know but I really can't get too excited about the sales anymore apart from accessories. Went to Harry's and they had some nice deals on sport coats but they were still topping a grand which can get you a mtm Samuelson on any day

14. jokb

jokb Senior member

Lol! I have a hidden storage for some of my shoes that I only wear maybe 3-4 times a year. [​IMG]

Good thing there are no shoe shine scams in Canada. As for shining, I'd be scared to let anyone shine my shoes (specially those scam shoe shine or 10 min shoe shine places). It takes me hours to maintain them in tiptop and wear ready condition...

One time, at the EX, one booth was selling some shoe shine products and wanted to shine my Shell Cordovan. They didn't recognize right away that it was shell so I just politely said no and went my way. I'd be horrified if they used products meant for calf on a guy's shell cordovan shoes.[​IMG]

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Haven't checked Holts, but Harry's is having decent deals on Samuelsohn suits and SCs. Depending on fabric, about $899 to $1199 (Loro Piana) for suits.

$699 for SCs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015