The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jokb

jokb Senior member

I agree! but even if you're wearing a well fitted suited, if you're wearing square toes, the look is broken. I admit I was one of these people years ago before I discovered SF. I know some people don't wear suits or dress business casual for men that do, it's sad that they don't care what shoes they wear.

I'm almost tempted to give them a quick lesson on real shoes.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Dress boots for winter when dressed in formal business wear, yessir. But a pair of Swims galoshes over dress shoes is still a VASTLY superior choice to running shoes.

Amen!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  3. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I take it Roger must drive to work....gotta go with some Sorels if you're navigating the slush bog that is Toronto. Boots for the office and galoshes for emergency outings though...also hate getting caught going out for a drink after work in some winter boots...safe rather than sorry.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Go Train. Not sure where in Toronto you are referencing, but they actually shovel the sidewalks here on Bay St. [​IMG] I don't think I encountered the slush bog experience once last year, and only a handful of times per year at most in years past. It happens, sure. But it is the exception, not the rule.

If you walk 10k to and from work every day during winter then yeah, stuff your trousers into snowmobile boots and trod on, you totally get a pass from the style police. [​IMG]

5. jokb

jokb Senior member

For winter wear, I select my footwear based on the material. Chromexcel and scotchgrain would be for pretty bad weather. If I know that there won't be snowfall or there's not a lot of slush, I'll wear my calf shoes (I have a few calf shoes that I wear during bad weather).

But... we're in spring now so hopefully, all this bad weather talk is behind us. We can now enjoy wearing our nice shoes [​IMG]

6. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I have little propulsive jets attached to the soles of all my shoes so I just float along a few inches off the ground. Very handy for when it's wet underfoot and snowy. No sacrificing style for function for me!

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

@RogerP

haha I work on Bay st, that's not the problem. You'll find the snow shovelers aren't nearly as judicious a few blocks to the east.

I can manage with puddle jumping but sometimes it's just "meh".

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Chromexcel is brilliant in the winter. I beat the hell out of a pair of AE chromexcel boots for shoveling, camping, hiking, hunting and they have held up exceptionally well. I have often thought that I should MTO a pair of bal boots in dark brown chromexcel. Not the first choice of most for material for a dress boot, but it makes so much sense.

Okay, you definitely win. [​IMG]

9. jokb

jokb Senior member

hhmm.... I'd trade maybe half of my shoe collection for shoes with propulsion jets... maybe .. [​IMG]

10. hrv123

hrv123 Senior member

Sorry to derail the discussion of Toronto's horrible climate, but just wanted to see if anyone had looked into bringing one of the travelling tailors to Toronto given the scarcity of quality MTM/bespoke services in the city (with some exceptions). I know Leatherfoot brought Liverano for a trunk show a while back, but haven't heard of any news regarding a repeat show. In any event, I'm talking something a bit more affordable (I can't shell out $8000+ for a Liverano or whatever they charge), but I could splurge on a Napoli Su Misura for $3000-3500 CAD (last I heard, suits at their US shows were $2300 USD plus cloth). Curious if anyone has any info or if there would be any interest that we could potentially present to a retailer in the hopes of opening up a trunk show or even just doing it privately if someone would be willing to organize.

11. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I'd be on board. I think there's a dearth of options (just check the Toronto Custom Suiting Thread)

12. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

You'd have to gauge a lot of interest, to get someone to bite. There is certainly the potential of customers to make it work. Likely have to pay for flight and hotel for 2-3 days. Looks like David Reeves has been to Toronto a few times. If you like his styling.

13. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

Quote:I agree. Wouldn't you also realistically have to cover their flight/hotel costs in terms of commissions, times 2 or 3? You would want them back for a basted fitting at the very least. They could obviously get more commissions on the second visit, but I don't know if that will happen. If I was NSM or Ripense, etc., I'd hate to visit, get only a break even amount of commissions for that visit only, then be committed to returning 1-2 times and risk getting no more work. I'd guess they'd want a dozen or so firm commissions to be worth their while. Just my guess. I guess easiest way to know is to ask!

14. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

He's having a tough time in the Noodles thread right now.

15. AlfieEffie

AlfieEffie Member

You're much better off choosing a local tailor you like so you can do 3-4 fittings to get it right.
    Garrison Bespoke, John Ferrigamo, Walter Beauchamp at Holts, Harry Rosen on Bloor and one or two others all seem to be great tailors.