1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Haha I think I saw you. Did he give you a very short reply?

2. djdanniedee

djdanniedee Senior Member

YES!! lol which one was you?
    A nice individual pointed out to the sales person that i was next... otherwise i really doubt the salesguy would've attended to me

3. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

And they wonder why they're going out of business.

4. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior Member

To be fair, the staff are usually courteous during non sale periods. I was at both the Bloor and Yorkdale locations yesterday and I noticed that a few of the customers were not particularly well behaved - they seemed pushy and entitled. I think the biggest problem is the merchandise being offered, especially these last few seasons. I think the buyers need to re-evaluate who their menswear customers are.

5. SortofFitz

SortofFitz Well-Known Member

Stopped by Holt Men. Beyond the items and categories already mentioned, they had jeans in a couple locations on the 2nd floor. Brands included AG, Frame, Paige, and Citizens of Humanity. About half were marked down. Most looked to be 30-33 waist, with most of the sale prices between $100 and $170 CAD. Since I'm not into the SW&D scene, I'll refrain from commenting on construction, value, or styles. But this info seemed worth passing along.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018

6. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

This is an ignorant statement - do you actually know why the store is being closed?

7. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

Sorry (not sorry) for hurting your feelings. The last store I went into that had reps with that kinda attitude (Stollery’s) is going to be a nice tall condo.

Sometimes it’s okay to draw informed inferences from glaringly obvious facts.

8. induere_to

induere_to Well-Known Member

'Not particularly well behaved' customers is not an excuse to provide lousy customer service, and to give it to someone else that may be a bit better 'behaved' is absolutely irrelevant. Even less appropriate is whether it's regular price or sale season; that should never influence why or how to deliver great customer service. Side note: just because (eg.) Church shoes are on sale, does that make them any less valuable than regular price Church shoes? I personally believe they should be sold with the same respect towards the company they represent that said company deserves.

I used to work at Holt Renfrew. I have my perspectives on why the company is not doing too well, but out of respect for my ex-colleagues and ex-co-workers, I am going to hold my tongue. These reasons may or may not be why I no longer work for Holt Renfrew.

9. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

The men’s store doesnt have a very good selection compared to Harry’s. The design/layout looks more like a gallery than a clothing store. Too sparse.

10. NoNameNecessary

NoNameNecessary Well-Known Member

They are not doing well? I thought only that particular men’s store is not doing well. Others have remarkable revenue and profits

11. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Stepped into Tom's Place today for the first time. Wow, what an intimidating place. More sales reps than customers. Stepped onto the second floor where they supposedly carry "European" brands and was hit by a wall of something like 8-10 associates all hanging around one rack. Suits were all garbage anyway... Won't be going back there again.

12. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior Member

I agree. I'd also say that their selection is not even the best in Canada amongst their own stores. I've been to Holt's in Vancouver and the menswear selection there is far superior to Toronto's offerings. I think the standalone Men's store had potential, but it really needed great merchandise to make it stand out in an increasingly crowded market. The tricky thing is finding the products that people are willing to pay full retail (or almost full retail) for and that is very difficult because everyone is conditioned to wait for deep sales.

13. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

I have mixed experiences at Tom's Place.
    In terms of service, definitely the used car salesman types. Their knowledge of product generally seems to be minimal save for the usual "this is a great deal for a quality product."
    With regards to the clothes sold there: it's hit and miss. They have some full canvassed Cornelliani suits from time to time going for about 1000.
    I cleared out 35 Cornelliani dress shirts for 25 a piece a few years back. The quality is excellent and has lasted me all these years. Cotton has not frayed and shirts always look great and not "worn".
    My brother has scored several pairs of Braxx pants for cheap as well.
    Not a great place, but deals can be had if lucky and patient.

14. Viral

No worries - ignorant people never hurt my feelings

I actually do know why that store is closing and you could not be further from the truth.

Since you’re so good at predictions, why don’t you win the lottery?

15. Viral

Guys.....Any interest in Pantherella mid-calf socks sz M? On sale at HR and I can proxy!!