1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. linds_15

linds_15 Senior Member

Just went though a similar ordeal with a pair of crockett and jones. For the duty component, the shipper needs to resend the invoice with a CETA declaration that the goods were manufactured in the UK. For the taxes CBSA should be able to reexamine if you provide them with the invoice

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

On a related note. I was shocked when DHL got it right on a pair of shoes from Skoak last week. Thought for sure I was getting a duty charge thrown in there.

70$ in tax and their fee on a pair of 425$ L&T’s.

3. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

This might be difficult since they're Mr. Porter items. Last time I checked, they didn't know what CETA was.

4. linds_15

linds_15 Senior Member

I was told by DHL that the only way to get the duty exemption was a CETA declaration by the shipper. Barring that I'm not sure how you'd recover it, unfortunately.

5. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

y'all are giving money to the wrong people!

I'll reiterate my proxy services to save money on such fees/duties/taxes..........PM me for details.

6. linds_15

linds_15 Senior Member

After the hassle with DHL and the great help from @kevinsvindland from Cavour i've received a pair of Crockett and Jones, the hallam model, for $550 canadian after all fees. This will be my go to shop for C&J now that Leatherfoot is gone

7. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior Member

I had a recent experience with Chester Mox and DHL. My wife got me a beautiful slim wallet, and duties were applied. It's made in the USA so I thought huh? I emailed them, and they showed me Chester Mox's invoice which, unfortunately displayed no country of origin. Chester Mox issued me a new invoice right away after I emailed them and the refund is supposed to be received in 7-10 days. This was all done via email.

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

The nice part about most of the big couriers now is they will reach out to you saying duties or taxes owed, pay up.
    Gives you a chance to try and solve it before paying and taking it up with the govt afterwards.

When they used to show up at your door with the package, and ask for a credit card, not much you can do but pay it and fix it later.

9. Mojomojo

Mojomojo Well-Known Member

Were the Hallams' on sale? I am trying to find a new beater pair of black cap toe and debating between carlos santos, c&j, meermin.

10. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Wow, those are your beater brands? I use my vintage Canadian made Dacks and Florsheim as beaters.

11. linds_15

linds_15 Senior Member

Yes they were. I think they were running 20 off at some point, not sure if they still are.

12. linds_15

linds_15 Senior Member

Anyone know a place in the city to pickup a nice soft leather business card holder type of thing? Im thinking something like a soft leather passport holder but for cards.

13. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

J. Crew in the Eaton Centee has a few pairs of Alfred Sargent for about $300. Larger sizes, a double monk, black tuxedo and a couple others. They’re a bit worse for wear, but some care should put the shine back on them.

14. Mojomojo

Mojomojo Well-Known Member

Well I classify beaters as shoes I'll wear maybe twice a week for work.

Anything I wear less on rotation is considered non-beaters

15. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Gotcha. I have 38 pairs of dress shoes so my rotation is extensive. I wish Meermin would work for my wide feet.