1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. BudFox92

BudFox92 Active Member

I assume Partners at the Seven Sisters would be in that ballpark.

My friend at Skadden made 170k as a 1st year

2. 7_rocket

7_rocket Distinguished Member

Haven't kept up with this thread but he sold me a suit and a cardigan. Although, I pretty much picked the cardigan myself prior to visiting the store. I had no issues with him, he's funny and witty. I will go see him again if I buy another suit from SS

Edit - Just read the review on yelp, that's unfortunate for that guy, but I can see how he could possibly rub people the wrong way.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

3. Encore

Encore Senior Member

let the "my friend" stories start now.

4. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior Member

To be fair, starting salaries at major law firms are pretty well known (they are published openly for various classes of associates) and the figure above is right on.

5. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Distinguished Member

In the US more so than here, where salaries are VERY well known (even ppp). 170k for first years at Skaddens Toronto is by far the highest in the city. Davies comes in second at 130k and then it’s 100-110 for the rest of the big firms. Partner salary and associate salary after first year are not well known.

6. NoNameNecessary

NoNameNecessary Senior Member

I think salary doesn’t increase much from each level upwards. A partner doesn’t make that much more than an associate. Their incomes increase significantly only when they can share the firm’s profit, which I suppose senior partners and above?

7. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior Member

Salaries/draws in the US and Canada differ greatly. Hourly rates and the ratio of partners to associates in the US mean you earn more in the US. The salary of a 1st year partner and senior associate are probably pretty close at most firms and could be higher for a senior associate with a decent bonus. Partner salaries vary greatly firm to firm and within firms. There isn't a lockstep compensation model for equity partners as far as I know but I don't know about every firm. Lots of firms have income partners and they are paid like associates and don't have an equity stake in the firm.

Lots of partners on Bay St. make 7 figures.

8. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior Member

Partners, by definition, share in profits from the partnership, unless they belong to the non-equity partner band, which seems to be growing in some firms. In most cases the gap between senior associate and equity partner is very significant.

9. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Either way, if Pious is wearing Patek, he’s doing something right.

Keep in mind that commission amounts do vary. I was talking to a former Rosen SA who said that commission is in the 13% range. At TF, could be as high as 15%.

And yes, totally accurate statement above about not just looking at the outliers in any field. But it is interesting to draw lessons from their success (it helps that celebrities are regulars at the flagship).

Recruitment at TF Madison looks competitive. One of their employees was on Americas Next Top Model, so they’re trying to achieve a certain look.

That said, I have no interest in working in the fashion industry. But for those that are, Brioni is hiring.

10. NoNameNecessary

That's a surprise, that's 3 or 4 times the salary of a SVP in a big 5 banks

11. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior Member

the gap is smaller when you add in bonus/options etc in the bank

12. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior Member

Agree with the above statement and there is a cap on what you can make as a Bay St. partner. Most are not making a million bucks and the spread is increasing between the bottom and the top.

13. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

I think people are forgetting the hours you need to pull when you start off at over $100k at these big law firms.

Sometimes earning a more modest salary and doing hour 40 hour workweek is a blessing.

14. NoNameNecessary

What is the situation with Leatherfoot right now? I got an offer to buy any shoes for 50% off. That brings Carmina to $300. I just worried if they send a pair with scuff and marks then I won't be able to return them.

15. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

You won’t. Roll the dice