1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Another reason to meet this dude.

Some menswear sales associates make good money. Top TF salesman on Madison makes over $400k. Bergdorf SA can make 100-350k.

I'm sure even some of the established SAs at Harry Rosen make a decent salary.

Speaking of which, has anybody ever dealt with the Tom Ford guy at Harry Rosen? Wondering if anybody has experience dealing with him.

2. othertravel

Also, according to this guy Pious' profile, he's the #1 SuitSupply sales associate in the world. So he is doing something right.

3. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

At the risk of derailing again, I got tired of Captain Waffles questions and stopped bothering to reply to them. There's such a lack of focus and flitting from item to item, brand to brand, I'm surprised that he spent years reading about clothes (unless I misread something).

Definitely this is a forum to ask questions and get answers, at the same time realize that everyone's got their own limits for how much of this stuff they'll put up with.

4. othertravel

We need more Pious stories.

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

I gotta get into the sales business at SS.

6. BudFox92

BudFox92 Active Member

Funny enough I do recall Pious commenting on my CJs. Nevertheless, my visits were brisk and he measured my suits properly.

I would only take my time if I was getting measured by Syd :)

7. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

very interesting - how did you arrive at these #'s? Any of the top SAs divulge this to you themselves?

Might be time for a career change!!

8. Spex

Spex Senior Member

I'm curious as well. $400K? That's more than $1000/day, if you worked 365 days a week (closer to $1500 if working just 5 days week). How much commission does TF pay for the items sold, and how many would need to be sold to reach this? I appreciate that there are a lot of people with $$$ in NYC, but are they all going to this one SA and buying a TM suit from him?

Also, how many SuSu suits is the guy with the expensive watches selling every day to make such a living? These are questions I've always had, and I accept that it might be reality, but I'd still be interested in someone breaking it down for me, because it still boggles my mind...

9. Jaackytung

Jaackytung Active Member

By the time you’re the top dog in TF pulling those numbers, a majority of your business would probably be from clientelle that are purchasing MTM, custom shoes and seasonal pieces by the boatload. It would mostly be appointment-based business where some are spending 6 figures each visit.

10. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

It's no different than other professions. As a lawyer, people generally believe I am pulling down 7 figures. I'm not even close. One always believes others make more, based on what they do for a living, how they dress, and how they spend.

Many people live beyond their means, OR come from old money.

Are there a few who make awesome money doing what they do? Absolutely. But the few exceptions don't apply to everyone.

11. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

How did you get these numbers?

12. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior Member

It's a pointless discussion when your starting point is a small set of outliers, the top 0.1 or 0.01% of the population. It colors everything in a fake rosy glow.

13. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior Member

Yeah, there are probably thousands making just enough to get by.

14. BudFox92

BudFox92 Active Member

Let's not forget with historically low rates and easy access to credit, it could be a factor

15. NoNameNecessary

NoNameNecessary Senior Member

I thought only a handful lawyers running their own law office can make 7 figure annual income in Canada