• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Saks house label offers really good value. I had a suit in E.Thomas fabric, half canvas, if I recall correctly (it was a while back) and it was very nice. Looks like a very good find, SirR.

Last edited:

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a job at a place where it is a business casual environment. No tie so I'm planning not to wear full suits every day but rather shirts, pants and sportcoats/ blazers for the next two years or so. My question is where I can find decent pants (not chinos) that I can throw into the washing machine? I know Banana Republic has limited cotton pants selection for ok price after coupons but is there any other place?

Last edited:

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to be an ass, but genuinely interested... Why would you do that? (Throw dress trousers in a washing machine)

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to be an ass, but genuinely interested... Why would you do that? (Throw dress trousers in a washing machine)
Ah I forgot to add that I'm not looking for wool or delicate fabric pants. One reason is there is no decent dry cleaner around my new place and my work commitment prevents me from dropping my stuff at dry cleaner often now. That is why I'm looking to the range of dress cotton pants that BR is offering. For the time being, the only stuff going to dry cleaner every now and then for me is my blazers and full suits.

Spex

Reaction score
I'm confused as to what "business formal" means, as I would think that means full suit. I work in a business environment that I believe is technically business casual, and I wear wool trousers, an odd jacket and shirt with tie. This works in my environment because some men do wear a suit (but most of them are in positions above mine).

I find wool trousers to remain looking the neatest, do not wrinkle much (any wrinkles jut come out during hanging) and only get sent to dry cleaning once a season. I use a rotation of about 4-5 pairs per season (spring+summer, fall+winter).

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as to what "business formal" means, as I would think that means full suit. I work in a business environment that I believe is technically business casual, and I wear wool trousers, an odd jacket and shirt with tie. This works in my environment because some men do wear a suit (but most of them are in positions above mine).

I find wool trousers to remain looking the neatest, do not wrinkle much (any wrinkles jut come out during hanging) and only get sent to dry cleaning once a season. I use a rotation of about 4-5 pairs per season (spring+summer, fall+winter).
Oh I screwed up. I meant "business casual"
baldy[1].gif
. I've considered wool and definitely prefer them to cotton. My another concern is I'm in Vancouver and it rains damn lot so if my wool pants take a hit, I can't just throw it in the washing machine. For blazers it's fine because they are covered in a coat anyway.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you want something you can throw in the wash then it has to be cotton, in which case best case you're looking at decent pressed khakies. Otherwise you're looking at wool and then it's the usual wear them many times then occasionally dry clean routine.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you want something you can throw in the wash then it has to be cotton, in which case best case you're looking at decent pressed khakies. Otherwise you're looking at wool and then it's the usual wear them many times then occasionally dry clean routine.
Yes that's why I'm looking at those BR has but just wondering if there is any other decent brands that offer those? Can't seem to find at Club Monaco or JCrew.

Spex

Reaction score
I have a pair of Brooks Brothers Advantage Chinos and they do the trick. I don't generally like anything non-iron, but these are pretty awesome. The materials feel great and they come creased, and keep a crease.

J. Crew seems to have a lot of trousers made of cotton. I prefer the Bowery Classic fit, but if you like things slim, there's these. Not so sure about "stretch", though:

https://www.jcrew.com/ca/mens_category/PantFitGuide/Dress/BowerySlim/PRDOVR~F4031/F4031.jsp

I want to go back to wool trousers for a moment, though. I think some guys over-estimate how much maintenance they require. Wool has a natural anti-microbial quality that really does prevent the need for frequent cleaning. Hang them from the cuff after use and brush them with a clothes brush and you're good to go. Washing cotton pants and having to re-press them yourself is a bit of a hassle IMHO. Wear wool trousers and watch the weather forecast. If you're worried about getting wet, wear the cotton chinos that day. However, I've got caught in the rain with my wool trousers, and after a night's hanging they are back to normal, no other maintenance required. I'm not sure why anyone would consider them fragile either. I'm not wearing super 180s wool trousers.

Read this: http://www.nurturedfamily.com/amazing-properties-of-wool.html

Last edited:

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to chime in on the cleaning discussion. Get a good quality clothes brush. I recommend Kent. Someone recommended it on here to me a long time ago and I can't thank them enough

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the previous two posts (at least). Good wool pants will last a decent amount before they need dry cleaning, a good brush is essential and a bit of rain is not a problem.

We are now recommending khakis/chinos but the opening post from nqtri said "no chinos"- I hope he changes his mind and gets a couple of pairs of nice non iron dressy ones. I bought mine from Tyrwhitt and they have served me well; easy to dress them up as the hold the crease and overall form nicely.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I don't have a clothing brush. Where can I pick one up? I remember having a lint brush

Chambertin

Reaction score
Agreed with the previous two posts (at least). Good wool pants will last a decent amount before they need dry cleaning, a good brush is essential and a bit of rain is not a problem.

We are now recommending khakis/chinos but the opening post from nqtri said "no chinos"- I hope he changes his mind and gets a couple of pairs of nice non iron dressy ones. I bought mine from Tyrwhitt and they have served me well; easy to dress them up as the hold the crease and overall form nicely.

Question for you all, because it appears I dry clean my pants too often. I typically will rotate a couple pairs, alternating Mon-Thurs for two weeks, and then I dry clean them. I hang them up carefully each day. A proper clothes brush is top of my list to buy.

But it sounds like I should be dry cleaning them more like 4ish times a year?

I've at least learned to never dry clean my jackets other than winter jackets which I do once a year or even every two years.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a large rotation of wool pants and jackets which means I probably clean them once a year usually at the end of the season. A couple of lighter colored items may see the cleaner one more time. If I wear one or two of the heavier items (fall-winter-spring) items more frequently, they may go for cleaning once more, too. Cotton chinos hit the washer as needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads