1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Some solid rec's there.

Was going to say for basic cheap canvass Chucks, Vans, Keds, Supergas, Purcells
    For basic athletic type there's Nike and New Balance
    For minimal leather, the usual suspects like from lower end like Stan Smith and seriously check out the basic black/white Luca Del Forte at Browns for $125 on sale, see if Noble Sole is doing anything this season, to mid range like Zespa (Club Monaco maybe?), and check out Davids and Gravity Pope for National Standard on sale
    to higher end like Common Projects (overpriced at retail), Margiela
    Then there's the more fashion house offerings like Lanvin, D&G, Paul Smith, etc.

Personally I get one beater canvas pair and one mid range clean sleek leather pair. Current setup is:
    Chucks
    [​IMG]

Luca Del Forte:
    [​IMG]

2. nqtri

nqtri Senior member

I've been eyeing these Reebok: http://www.reebok.ca/en/men-s-club-c-85-tonal-gum/BD1886.html?slot=3 . Feeling a bit nostalgic

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

F1s have been my go-to sneak for eons.

4. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Creative Recreation has some nice styles at Nordstrom. The plain white or black is pretty cool, and reasonably priced

5. tricky

tricky Senior member

I go with Epaulet white mids and lows. My mids are my go-to for almost everything casual though.

6. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

wings+horns court low/high, various Vans.

7. Master-Classter

Ah, forgot about the W+H. I still really like their stuff but feel like the retail pricing has become unreasonable. For $300-350 sure good pickup, but $400-500, come on that's pushing it. On sale at $200-250, sure, I'll get a few pairs.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think something under $200 would fit the bill.

9. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

I think I have ~25 dress and casual. They're all I buy now. Best bang for buck. Not too expensive. Now I only buy custom, but RTW is insane value. $50 shirts that beat most of what you find for twice that elsewhere.

These are niiiice. I was going to buy some Kent Wang for this summer, but I might get these instead. Cost and best place to kop?

10. Master-Classter

Browns house brand called Luca Del Forte. Made in Italy. I've looked at a LOT of this style of sneaker and usually the 'copy' versions are pretty obviously bad, from chunky lasts, clumsy cutting/stitching, 'off' proportions, etc. These ones I found were very close to being like a CP look with decent quality but they fit my fat feet and at $125 were worth the price for me (not at $200-300). I'd say they fit pretty true to size, I'm an 8 in most shoes and 7.5 in dress shoes. Got these (3 pairs) in an 8 and fit fine.

the black white versions - https://www.brownsshoes.com/LUCA-DE...tml?dwvar_220492_color=043&bid=LUCA DEL FORTE
    I know the sizes are mostly gone but they do basically the same shoe every season.

For example - https://www.brownsshoes.com/LUCA-DE...tml?dwvar_227486_color=030&bid=LUCA DEL FORTE

and the 'new' ones you can wait for a sale - https://www.brownsshoes.com/LUCA-DE...67&sz=84&format=ajax&infinite=yes&scrollTo=67

I also bought these blue perforated ones, note that one less eyelet so my heel slips and I had to punch one more higher hole - https://www.brownsshoes.com/LUCA-DE...tml?dwvar_227491_color=023&bid=LUCA DEL FORTE

1 person likes this.
  11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

12. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

HOW COULD I FORGET KILLSHOTS LOL.

MFA certified (official outfit essentially). Good luck getting your hands on a pair, I ordered the second it went live and still hasn't shipped yet.

I was at Nordstom yesterday and they had a pair of size 11 court high's in grey marked down to $165. Did not cop, too small :(. This was at Yorkdale.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  13. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

I go Adidas Stan Smith

14. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

SuitSupply La Spalla full canvas is $1069. What are my other full canvas options in that price range that might be better?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I'd check out the Harry Rosen outlet. You can get Samuelsohn suits for half that (sometimes in the $3-400 range). You can also find Canali suits at the outlet around that price.

I find that SS fabrics feel cheap imo. Samuelsohn and Canali have better fabrics imo.

2 people like this.
  16. ADub

ADub Senior member

Saks and HBC will have Samuelsohn for less than that during sales. You can also get Ring Jacket suits from Rakuten from around $500 for the regular line to just under $1000 for Meister; that is before potential taxes and duties though.

1 person likes this.
  17. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Kent Wang? You'd probably fit his pattern fairly well. Will require a try on suit, back and forth shipping, duty and tax, but fabric selection is nice. I'm guessing closer to $1500 all said and done.

What is SS full canvas MTM run?

1 person likes this.
  18. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I'd use caution with Ring jacket. Great great stuff but the sizing isn't very friendly for the North American build - even a slender one.

1 person likes this.
  19. gs77

gs77 Senior member

If you are after that styling (which is nice BTW for Jort/La Spalla) and value the convenience of shipping/returns (SuSu is hard to beat there) SuSu is actually a good value, and I wouldn't disregard them.
    Of course there is eBay, Yoox etc, and you can do much better, but you need whole lot of enthusiasm for that.

1 person likes this.
  20. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior member

When I was in NYC, I found a few good Burberry full canvass at the Woodbury Common outlet. Paid $500 each.