• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I do not know that much about high grade dress shoes. I just want the shoes at the price/quality curve where diminishing returns will not justify higher price.

Continue to do your research on these parts and elsewhere, figure out what your wants and requirements are. Beyond Alden/Carmina/J. Fitzpatrick (the $550-700 price range thanks to our low Canadian dollar) is where you start paying more for the finer details, but that's a subjective opinion and everybody's opinion is different.

But just so you know, from a small-footed Asian person to another - at least I assume so given you name; I apologize if that's not the case - finding brand new, Goodyear-welted dress shoes from such brands at the $250-350 price point in smaller sizes can be very difficult. Depending on how hard you are on that shoe budget and what details you require in your footwear, you may need to make some compromises, one way or another.

Quote:

I hope your superiors don't mind that you're dressing better than them!

CloudLi

Reaction score
I hope your superiors don't mind that you're dressing better than them!
LOL, my manager wears dress shirts and a dress pants, never a tie on his neck.

Yes, you are right. I usually wear 7.5 US. That's why I regret not getting that Carmina oxford for $300...... And I realized AEs are ugly. I do not like rounded toe, I prefer Italian style pointed toe (not too pointy), Dack's and Meermin looks so much better. I do not have a hard budget, it all depends on how good the deal is and my mood at that time. Not planning to spend that much on each pair of shoes, but definitely going to buy EG for $500 if possible :)

BTW, when is the best time for bargain hunting? Black Friday? Boxing day? Or January clearance?

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haggled with them once. Got the HST off or something. Santoni GY. They don't carry that anymore tho :(

It never hurts to try to grind a discount.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haggled with them once. Got the HST off or something. Santoni GY. They don't carry that anymore tho :(

There are local dudes who got some great brands but I just don't feel like even start asking to give me discount. That's the feeling I get when I'm in RJ store.

Last edited:

CloudLi

Reaction score
No discounts ever at good ol' Bob Jones.
smile.gif
I pass by RJ everyday. They had a side walk sale the last week of July, some Kiton ties for $90, but the pattern was too ugly so I did not buy anything. The side walk sale was only for attracting people to walk into their store and purchase regular priced stuff.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a way I respect that way of doing business. Dont know.
I remember once I asked for discount on a suit at RJ. Was PZ, winter suit at the start of summer, plus at least season old. He said he can give me like HST off, but in such a way that made me don't want it. Like I'm ripping him off or something :)

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol well if ya can't handle the thought of them crimping that profit margin then I guess don't ever ask!

Don't bother me none. Esp. on these preemo brands. x 1.13 can be quite a bit!

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, my manager wears dress shirts and a dress pants, never a tie on his neck.

Yes, you are right. I usually wear 7.5 US. That's why I regret not getting that Carmina oxford for $300...... And I realized AEs are ugly. I do not like rounded toe, I prefer Italian style pointed toe (not too pointy), Dack's and Meermin looks so much better. I do not have a hard budget, it all depends on how good the deal is and my mood at that time. Not planning to spend that much on each pair of shoes, but definitely going to buy EG for $500 if possible :)

BTW, when is the best time for bargain hunting? Black Friday? Boxing day? Or January clearance?

While it sounded like a joke, I wasn't entirely joking.
bigstar[1].gif

If you figure out your Carmina Simpson last size, I have a pair of Brand New burgundy adelaide oxfords in 6.5E that I'm going to be putting up on the B&S soon. I won't be selling them for $300, though. :p

I would advise against Meermin if only because you have to play the sizing lottery, and having done that recently for coats and jackets, it's something I'd rather not be doing too often, if at all. It's much better to get fitted at a store.

The best deals are usually during winter clearance, but be aware that the longer you wait, the higher your chances of having your size sold out. Most stores in North America tend to carry only 1 pair of each smaller size, and thus are more prone to selling at full price.

And Edward Green for $500 Brand New? That must be a nice dream.
nod[1].gif

Last edited:

Valkres

Reaction score
There are local dudes who got some great brands but I just don't feel like even start asking to give me discount. That's the feeling I get when I'm in RJ store.
What stores would you recommend a visit? I haven't found much apart from Brooks Brothers and Leatherfoot for footwear.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What stores would you recommend a visit? I haven't found much apart from Brooks Brothers and Leatherfoot for footwear.

V Hazelton? With their Kiton, Attolini etc? Joking, joking.... :)
Funny place. I actually never walked in. There are always few dudes in front, sitting on the bench and smoking big cigars - so no customers inside I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads