1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

If you're into Japanese brands, Blue Button Shop is an option. They carry brands like Orslow, Kapital and Studio D'Artisan, among a couple of other brands I may be forgetting.

Otherwise, Dutil.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. althanis

althanis Senior member

Where'd you get Zespa's for 60% off?

3. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

I got them at Holt's. I purchased an olive pair for $169 before taxes prior to Christmas. (Elected to buy earlier and save a bit less to ensure I owned my desired pair.) Right now, you can get an extra 30% off the sale price.

I just dropped by my location while making a couple of returns at EB. The darker + more popular colourways are still only 40% off prior to the kicker (brown, didn't see any black but they may not be on display). Some were still $169, which would bring the total discount to 73% off with the kicker. Pickings are starting to get slim at my location, however. Can't speak for downtown but I imagine it's worse.

4. althanis

althanis Senior member

Thanks for letting me know, never really thought of Holt's as a store I should keep my eye on, but will do so from now on.

5. daviddee100

daviddee100 Member

Have a brand new pair of AE Park Avenue's in black 10.5D that dont fit quite right on me if anyones interested. send a pm if you are

6. Gingham Check10

Gingham Check10 Member

Is it too late to post what we got on Boxing Day? Thanks to this thread, I headed down to Leatherfoot for an enjoyable time of shoe shopping. Forget the overcrowded malls, Sipping an espresso while looking at some deeply discounted shoes is the way to go. Picked up this nice pair of Carmina tan double monk straps. Now just to give the toe caps an extra shine. Don't get me wrong, it was busy at Leatherfoot, but certainly a much more pleasant experience than at the big box stores.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. kpyeoman

kpyeoman Member

PSA -- the Harry Rosen outlet at Vaughan Mills has a pair of chocolate Allen Edmond Daltons and a pair of AE Shaker Heights both in 7D for $150. Both in pristine shape and a steal.

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

When will Harry outlet have their ties blowout? I remember they had it in January before.

9. LeatherFoot

LeatherFoot Senior member

The shoes look great! It's a design that works well with formal trousers and denim. Glad to hear you had a pleasant time with us.

1 person likes this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Very nice choice!

1 person likes this.
  11. Spex

Spex Senior member

I think othertravel already posted about the deep discounts at the Heartland HR Outlet from last week. Today at the VM outlet I scored a deep green Eton knit tie, made in Italy for about $13. I don't know what the original price was (probably over $100), but the outlet price was first $89.99, then dropped to $29.99, and finally they took an extra 60% off. There was one table of these extra 60% off ties, not all were down to $29.99, but they were certainly all a great deal. Spotted a decent Canali in there, but just something I needed or wanted.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  12. KWang94

KWang94 Well-Known Member

If anyone would be willing to make the trip to Vaughan Mills to get me the Daltons, I would love you forever.

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

So I was at Holts Square One and the employee came up to me while I was browsing and mentioned I should use their complimentary shoe shine service.

I never knew it was complimentary. The shoes weren't from Holts nor did I purchase anything. Is this always the case or was it a one day thing only?

14. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Gents -

It's been a while since I've posted on here. I think about a year actually, as I was all the way back at page 156 when I logged in, to Jan/16. One hell of a year with work and so my style hobby has taken a back seat.

Since it would probably take me a couple of weeks to go through all the old posts, I've browsed the last little bit. Seems like most of the topics are the same - shaking of fists at being dinged at customs duties, tut-tutting about whether or not Drakes ties are "elite" or not and (at least recently) Boxing Day sales (as it should be).

Did I miss anything else?

15. casadisartoria

casadisartoria Senior member

Free shoe shining eh! I was walking around at Nordstrom and I recall they charge 5 dollars a shoe.

16. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Noticed that the Levi's section on the Men's floor at HBC Eaton's Center had a small alterations area. One of those things where you can watch them as they work.

I didn't think of it at the time but hems were quite cheap, around $10. The machine looked vintage if I'm recalling correctly. What are the chances they're doing chain stitch hems?

17. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

It was always the case to my knowledge. At Holts and Harry.

I was once similarly approached, took a seat, and noticed the shoe shine start to load up (I mean LOAD up) his brush with dark brown polish. I quickly excused myself before he could get anywhere near my tan longwings. Probably just a bad experience but I'd pay attention to what they're ddoing if I were you.

1 person likes this.
  18. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Me too. They also have the service at John Allen's in the Bay, but I only use it if I have shoes on I don't actually care about.

The trouble is you get what you pay for, and free likely means they pay a kid barely out of high school who knew about as much as I did out of high school about how to properly shine a shoe (aka nothing at all). Not to disparage them, but the quality of the shine and the products they use is pretty poor. If you've got good footwear on, stay away.

19. jl9377

jl9377 Active Member

I second that, I was there the other day grabbing some sneakers, and quickly peeked over to see what they were doing and I personally wouldn't let them do my shoes. If I want a good polish I prefer to do it myself. If you had a cheap pair like a Johnston & Murphy or a pair of Aldo's you don't care about, why not.

On another note, the chairs look comfy though

20. blueline7

blueline7 Active Member

Has anyone tried the shoe shining service at Loding downtown? I have heard good things about it.

1 person likes this.