1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. colHolm

colHolm Senior member

Yeah by the late afternoon (in Calgary), they were back up to $450+, and limited in size selection. I've put a reminder in my calendar for next year. That was a good deal.

2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Best place to buy Saphir shoe cream for cheap?

3. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Novelty on Yonge has the best prices I've seen in the city.

1 person likes this.
  4. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

If anyone missed out on the AE's and is a size 12D who requires/wants Strands in Walnut and Park Ave's in Black for cost, lemme know!

5. Spex

Spex Senior member

Agreed. I just checked some of the jars I bought from them. Some had a price tag of $12.95, but then people like us probably went in there and showed too much enthusiasm, and my later jars have a $14.95 price tag on them. Still a great price.

6. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

PSA

Charvet ties down to $104 tax inc at Saks

1 person likes this.
  7. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

Did anybody get anything they wanted - clothing or otherwise - for Christmas or Boxing Day? Feel free to post some pictures, gentlemen!

Nothing CM-related for me this year, but I finally purchased a Kapital t-shirt that I wanted for months. It finally went on sale, so I bought it immediately.

8. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

I picked up a wool/silk Richard James sportcoat on a whim. I stopped by a vintage shop as well and picked up a tweed overcoat that was really nice. Other than that I spent the day playing video games. My fiancé went out and shopped but boxing day crowds aren't my thing.

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

GF bought me a cashmere scarf and gloves from Club Monaco. Exactly what I wanted

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Was debating those gently distressed leather gloves. I believe for around $55.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've become progressively more disillusioned with retail and find I rarely see anything I like, don't already have, and is fairly priced. I pretty much go to Uniqlo and buy 4-5 items a year and that seems to be about it. Maybe the occasional Club Monaco super sale rummage through the pile at Eatons Center type of thing.

1 person likes this.
  12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

They're not really warm to be honest

I missed out on the Navy Peacoat. It's different from their normal ones from previous years before. Was $399 down to $131

13. tricky

tricky Senior member

14. nqtri

nqtri Senior member

Almost jumped on those gloves. I have one pair and those are awesome. But decided not to get things I barely use in Vancouver [​IMG]

15. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

For the most part, I've avoided the malls for two years. If I really want to go buy mall brands, I'll go to their Yorkville locations, where the crowds are thinner. Two years ago, my friend and I transited into Yorkville from Kipling Station (free parking on statutory holidays!) and while I rummaged through Harry's, Leatherfoot and Uncle Otis, he made a trip to H&M. I was shocked when he told me that there was no line for the change room, and this was at noon!

Or if I really wanted something from Banana/J. Crew/Club Monaco/Holt Renfew, I'd buy it before Christmas when the first sale wave hits. I figured I was fine with 60% off my Zespa sneakers, rather than chance it at a higher discount and risk not getting them at all.

I'm more inclined to visit the independents for my Boxing Day shopping. While more expensive, I'm into some of those brands at the moment. While Uncle Otis was pretty busy - their door crasher was 40% off almost everything from 10-12 - Blue Button Shop was its nice and quiet self. (Granted, it is out of the way from most of the hubbub you'd expect in some of Toronto's other downtown shopping destinations.) You can usually find free parking near most of the boutiques as well, if you know where to look.

Although I do need to check out Uniqlo and see what's left.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  16. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Best place for jeans today? Will pay more for higher end, if quality is there...
    I like the aesthetic of raw denim, but want something that I can wear comfortably from the start.
    My last pair was from Harry Rosen, with some elastine. Very comfortable, but turned into a droopy mess pretty quickly.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  17. tricky

tricky Senior member

Dutil Denim.

They have a lot of options to try on in store, and you can try on all sorts of models and sizes without feeling pressured to buy.

1 person likes this.
  18. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Great, thanks. Will give them a go this afternoon!

19. tricky

tricky Senior member

Another option close to them but more limited in stock and brands is Lost and Found on ossington...but you can probably see their stock online before going there.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  20. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Lost and Found doesn't carry Rgt or 3Sixteen any more so I do find them pretty limited in denim options. Still worth checking out for other items. I haven't been there yet, but Johnathan suggested Muddy George for denim. Right around the corner from L&F and carry Japan Blue and 3Sixteen.

Dutil was very accommodating after my complaint about return policies, although I had already made a purchase elsewhere by then.

Nordstrom has a ton of denim on the clearance racks. I picked up a pair of Baldwin yesterday that I'm debating on keeping. For a department store the service is amazing, and you can't beat the return policy.

1 person likes this.