• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dwhitman

Reaction score
I bet you it will a lot of work for you to get this fixed. Hopefully they end up making it right. Keep us posted, I'll be curious to find out how this turns out.
Hey guys, need advice from people who have had issues with Harry Rosen.

I ordered two Tilford suits recently in 39R. They were stock singles, not MTM. That is, I picked the fabric and they would have it made in whatever model I wanted (I chose Ashton).

in store, the Ashton has a boc of 30'. The suits I got came with a boc of 29'.

I had the trousers tailored before realizing I got a short jacket.

So I've asked that I exchange the suits and do a do over. Now they want me to speak to their GM to talk about the issues with the suits. They don't sound too eager to replace them.

I paid full price for the suits and expected the same measurements as found on their OTR models, which I was told I was getting.

Anybody have any idea what I can expect?

SonofOctober

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with Simeone Napoli in Yorkville? Seems like a newer place....

hrv123

Reaction score

Anyone here have any experience with Simeone Napoli in Yorkville? Seems like a newer place....

First time hearing about them, but it looks like the carry Barbanera shoes based on their instagram. Will have to give them a look next time I'm in town.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bet you it will a lot of work for you to get this fixed. Hopefully they end up making it right. Keep us posted, I'll be curious to find out how this turns out.

Here's the update. spoke to the manager, and they agreed to do it as mtm so they could specify the length of the jacket to samuelsohn.

They didn't want to risk doing another made to order in case the jacket came back short again.

Long story short, satisfied with the way they handled it.

The original suits will probably end up at the outlet.

casadisartoria

Reaction score

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Firefox

Reaction score
Hey guys, any recommendation on the best shoe repair in Toronto?

Cheers!

If you search back in this thread there are a number of recommendations. Nick's and Novelty are often mentioned.

Here's the update. spoke to the manager, and they agreed to do it as mtm so they could specify the length of the jacket to samuelsohn.

They didn't want to risk doing another made to order in case the jacket came back short again.

Long story short, satisfied with the way they handled it.

The original suits will probably end up at the outlet.

Glad to hear. Despite their heavy prices and "ready-to-pounce" sales staff, Rosen does tend to have decent after-sale service. I had an MTM order last year that got messed up and ended up taking several weeks longer than it should have. They gave me a store credit as an apology.

boknut

Reaction score

burgerkong

Reaction score
Warning, a fairly long post! Pardon the crappy pics!

An update to my budget decent shoe search in TO, got the Brook Brothers by Allen Edmonds Fifth Street and the LodinG Nevisa cap toes in, both hovering around the $400 price tag tax in - BB's were on 30% discount ($510 minus 30% plus tax, although I was advised they raised the price to $550), LodinGs are never discounted, $330 pre tax. Will hopefully add Meermin and Septieme Largeur later the month (picking up the latter from the US).

Both makes are fairly new to me as I've never had AE's made for BB before, nor have I stepped into LodinG until a scant couple weeks ago. Starting off with the weight, the AE's weigh in at 85 grams more, possibly due to the heavier heel construction and the rubber half-sole.

While both are round toes, the AE's are far more blunt and less sleek - this could be good/bad depending on your needs/work environment/age.

Leather quality is OK - not great, but OK - on both. This would be where corners are cut, although the plasticky shine the AE's have makes it look cheap. Both exhibit similar levels of break/wrinkles, no real winner here. I suspect they will both crease easily, but that's expected at this price point.

Finishing is inadequate on AE's by far, seems like the cost of the 'Made in USA' badge is poorer finishing. I have seen this a lot recently in tools and other things where the 'Made in USA' badge no longer automatically refers to quality. The sole edging is rather rough - even after dressing/waxing and edge ironing, comparable brands such as Carmina and Alden have relatively smooth to the point of semi glossy edges. AE's on the other hand look like rough-hide with a layer of paint over top. LodinG on the other hand have a smoother edge, but as I have no idea how the factory produces the shoes, I will need a long term test. Also, no loose threads anywhere and the stitching/welting is very clean on the LodinGs.

Welting is up next and right away, I can see that the AE welting is sloppy on the left shoe, to the point that it is close to the edge of the sole. This should have been a second, similarly the half sole also had the same issue. Moreover, the soles have been stitched aloft, whereas LodinGs are open channeled.

Without taking fit into consideration (they both fit well, so that's of no concern for me), I cannot see why anyone in the price range would take AE's over LodinG (if LodinG has a similar style). In addition, BB AE's seem to do away with the shoe bags as well - on the other hand LodinG includes individual bags as well as spare laces.

Final verdict? LodinG is a fantastic value, essentially due to the fact that one can return them locally plus you can try them on before committing. Yes, Septieme Largeur is cheaper, same with Meermin, but for a first time buyer, or one that does not know or is not willing to play the size lottery, I can't see LodinG as being a poor choice.

Did I mention the LodinGs have a slight waist? Not a true fiddleback, but it's there and the sole isn't flat - more of a ball.

When compared to my Strands, you can see that the cap differs by about 1/2".

Regarding cap toe length, they (LodinGs) crease in similar spots to my Strands, which already has a weird creasing due to how the cap toe is sewn on. You can also see what I meant by OK leather quality - the left and right shoe have vamps made from different parts of the hide. The left shoe creases beautifully, whereas the right isn't as nice.

A shot of the Fifth Avenues flexing:

Also, more evidence of cost cutting (or perhaps they weren't able to channel the rubber half sole, who knows): standard AE Strands have channeled stitching.

Brendan

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those BB shoes are ******* hideous - could care less who makes them.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@burgerkong in defense of BB shoes, I am quite pleased with my recent cap toe (park avenue) and mine doesn't have a problem with the welting. Quality wise, only time will tell but they feel solid on my feet.

On a side note, I notice LodinG has a great price on its Jodhpur boots. Better price than Meermin's MTO if shipping, duties are considered. Might as well be my reason to try out LodinG
satisfied.gif

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
I also recently bought a pair of Lodings (Roma wholecuts). Without going into the same level of detail as BK, I agree with his assessment of them. I've worn them a handful of times now. First time they were a little stiff, but by the third wear they were breaking in well. The slightly elongated last takes a bit of getting used to for walking if you're more accustomed to AE-type styling - the Romas are even longer than my AE Boston monkstraps (old AE 0 last, which is one of their longer ones I think). The first day I wore them I ended up kicking my toes a little bit.

I think the problem with those BB captoes (stylistically, anyway) is the cap is too small in proportion to the rest of the shoe. It should be further back by about another width of the broguing.

@burgerkong , where in the US are you getting SL shoes? I'll be interested to read your review of them when you do get some. They were first on my list of wholecuts before Loding, but based on the timing I needed to have a serviceable pair of shoes for, I decided I wasn't willing to take the risk on sizing with shipping from/to France.

casadisartoria

Reaction score
Great review @burgerkong
I am not a fan of the BB's having seen them previously many times, stylistically not on par with lodings - fit aside.
I have a pair of Londing single monks and aside from the initial stiffness of the leather, they broke in fairly well.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
An update to my budget decent shoe search in TO, got the Brook Brothers by Allen Edmonds Fifth Street and the LodinG Nevisa cap toes in, both hovering around the $400 price tag tax in ...
Quality post.
thumbs-up.gif

The Loading looks a lot more elegant. I think the cap toe on the AE is too short, but is the cap toe on the Loding too long? Do you get creases on the cap when you bend down to tie your shoe?

ryanginger

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Loding captoes a few months back and continue to fight with them. For a while I was keeping them at my office and changing into them there for light wear hoping that'd break them in without too much pain.. but these guys are stiff. Easily the longest break-in of any pair of shoes I've owned. I'll update my post if things change, but as of now, I'm regretting the purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads