1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

I have a schott that I bought from a military surplus store. It's heavy as all hell and not slim but damn is it warm.

2. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I don't usually shop on YOOX because it's often too much of a hodgepodge...but there are many excellent options to be found at attractive prices. I found a Luigi Bianchi Mantova mainline coat for $300. It fits perfectly and is warm enough for the trek to and from the office. My one recommendation would be a thick cashmere scarf, makes all the difference!

3. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I eBayed a 1978 US Naval Coat last year. Was about $80 landed CAD. Took the sleeves up a bit, but left the body full. Pretty warm. I prefer longer jackets, but I dig this for a peacoat on the cheap that I wear dressed down, and basically out for errands.

Don't skimp on coats if you intend to wear it for dress or business. They last a long time and we get great use out of them. Said it a few times in this thread, my most worn piece of clothing is my wool overcoats. Almost everyday for 4-5 months between 3 coats. Planning on landing a grail coat this fall.

1 person likes this.
  4. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

any recommendations on topcoats? was waiting for spier to stock some but i heard they may not be available for this season

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

6. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

What's your budget?

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Thanks. I mainly wear my peacoat with both casual and "business casual" aka a button down shirt with a sweater over it, and dress pants in fall.

No need for an overcoat as I don't wear suits to work

8. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

My collection of decent work shoes is as follows: walnut half brogues, black half brogues, and oxblood captoe derbies.

What kind of thoughts do you guys have as to what I should do for my next pair?

I guess the missing mainstream colour is a darker brown. Missing styles that come to mind would be like wholecuts, wingtips / longwings, quarter brogues, monk straps.

Thanks.

9. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

I am interested in getting an overcoat as well. Where is a good place to start?

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Depending on what you want to spend. topshelfapparel & nymilan on ebay have some great options.

NMWA kills the outerwear game each year, and this year looks like no exception. However you will be north of $1000 most certainly.

1 person likes this.
  11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

yeah my first thought was to either add a second black pair in a different style or a dark brown. I don't like the way wholecuts crease all over, but if you were set on getting a pair I'd do it black so it's less visible. Depending on your current black pair, I'd say a simple clean non-brogued cap toe oxford is a solid basic. I mean black is formal so I prefer simple wholecuts or non-brogue captoes for that, and then where you can see the details like patina and pattern, with dark brown or oxblood or walnut, etc, I'd go with a more casual style such as the broguing, wing-tip, even bicycle toe if you're into that sort of thing.

Short version - I'd say add something in dark brown like a patina'd captoe or a single monkstrap, and maybe another black and at that point you're pretty well rounded. If you can pull if off, a loafer might go in the mix at some point.

12. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Yep, you cry once but NMWA outwear game is very strong.

13. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

Thanks much. I'm leaning towards a double monk strap (you prefer single?) or a wholecut. Dark brown or black.

14. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

I would also recommend Schott for overcoats. They're built well and are very warm. They're also pretty affordable, even with the exchange rate. I don't know if there are any Canadian retailers for Schott; it seems like Due West no longer carries them.

1 person likes this.
  15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Both good I think. I like double monkstraps but find they're slightly flashy/dandy-ish. Really not a big deal though.

16. othertravel

Well, if anybody is interested in a black Wool/Cashmere Double Breasted Chesterfield from RLBL in 40R, then send me a PM.

I've only worn it a few times and is in minty condition.

17. othertravel

Duplicate.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  18. Valkres

Valkres Active Member

It seems that they've closed shop. I don't know if they've reopened or not though.

19. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

ideally i would like to spend 500-600ish but i'd be willing to go toward 1,000 if i found the "perfect" jacket

20. Spex

Spex Senior member

I decided to take a stroll and check out Fabio. Those ties were either sold out, hidden away or our tastes are very different. All I saw were fairly shiny, multicolored, highly patterned ties. Perhaps they were well made. I have no idea. They just were not to my tastes.

I spoke with the guy there, and he said that they will be moving shortly, but they are still working on which location they will be at.

I did see some nice looking trousers, though. I didn't check the price.