1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

I'm coming from the thought that you can avoid duties with NAFTA, but you're still going to get nailed with a very large amount of taxes. I got hit with close to $90 on one pair.

This is a completely personal opinion, but I wouldn't want several pairs from the same company. Anytime I've sought out to satisfy my OCD by buying a bunch of T-Shirts (or what have you) from one place I've regretted the lack of variety. Just something to consider.

2. cloud82

cloud82 Active Member

For duty+tax, I'd budget for 30% of the "CAD purchase price"...

3. 2942

2942 Well-Known Member

They do. I emailed them after placing my last order (10/4/2016) and received the response below.

"Yes, we can ship using National Spanish Post (CORREOS) if you like. This service is much slower (Up to 30 days from our experience) & unsafe compared to UPS; FeEx or DHL, but if you prefer we can ship it via National Post."

It did take a about three weeks for me to receive the shoes, but didn't have to pay anything extra.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  4. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I think it would be worth your while to not buy 4 pair of AE, and go to Leatherfoot, get a fitting and buy 2 pair of C&J, Alden or Carmina. You will be spending a bit more, if you shop their end of season sales, the prices are great.

Technically there is nothing wrong with AE, but trading up in footwear (to a certain level) can be your best wardrobe move as they last a long time and see a lot of use.

4 people like this.
  5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

6. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

200%. Or one pair of EG or GG without lasted shoe trees. :)

7. Viral

Viral Senior member

with the amount of shoe talk and screaming of bloody murder about the cost of the same, one would think ya'll walk around barefoot.......

...........except RogerP (his collection is amazing!)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. ino68

ino68 Senior member

I was able to get a pair of carmina loafers landed for $530 at my door, after being on a 15% sale.

Not bad in the current world, but terrible compared to 3 years ago! I should've just strolled in to Leatherfoot back then.

9. CloudLi

CloudLi Senior member

I'm currently wear derbies and slip on.... I only have one oxfords while I need enough oxfords to give them a week break..... So I actually need 4 pairs

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The reason you feel that quality shoes need as much as a week between wearing is.... ??

And this small truckload of AEs that you wish to import - do you have your sizing dialed in?

Do as you please, of course, but you'd be far better served getting two pairs of Carmina / C&J locally, IMO.

2 people like this.
  11. CloudLi

CloudLi Senior member

You mean one day break is enough for better quality shoes? I thought all the shoes need a week break to recover from each wearing.

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Listen to what Roger said here.

Back when I first joined SF I ordered countless AE shoes at once to complete some sort of wardrobe rotation as you're trying to do.

Turns out the sizing for a lot of them was wrong. This was after going into Harry Rosen to try on some sizes. Though you don't get great service if you tell them you won't be buying and as a result can't really get a great fitting dialed in.

1 person likes this.
  13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

No, not as much as a week. 48 hrs is entirely adequate. If you add two pairs of Oxfords to your existing pair, even if you wear Oxfords 5 days a week, each pair can rest for two days. And if you go the Leatherfoot route, you will have two better quality, more stylish pairs that you know will fit before you walk out the door. Also don't be afraid to ask if there is a multiple pair discount - worst they can say is no.

Like others have said, there's nothing wrong with AE, and if one pair of AE is what the budget permits for a given buyer then it's folly to suggest shoes as much as twice as costly. But for someone whose budget extends to a single purchase of 4 pairs of AE, there definitely are better options available.

2 people like this.
  14. tricky

tricky Senior member

@CloudLi, I completely agree with @RogerP and others. You're much better off with two higher end pairs and that will give your shoes plenty of rest.

You have some good local options too with Leatherfoot, Lost and Found as well as lots in the US - Shoemart seconds via a proxy might be a good option for Alden too.

15. CloudLi

CloudLi Senior member

In my mind a pair of shoes should not cost more than 1/2 of a suit (I made up this criteria). My Samuelsohn was purchased when it was on sale, sub $500. That is why I said $250 each at the first place.

16. gs77

gs77 Senior member

My head hurts.

4 people like this.
  17. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

No, but I'd like to. I emailed them.

18. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Let me know how it goes. I'd like to try them as well.

I found a coupon online for $25 off as well.

19. Viral

Viral Senior member

we all have our respective budgets and ways to justify spending...........this makes sense, and if you are bound to this philosophy then you are doing the right thing. I think most people who have started with AE as their benchmark soon change it to Carmina and others. Personally, AE has never made anything that appeals to me and I'm baffled by the people who like their aesthetic.

20. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Great points. AE doesn't make the best looking shoe by any means but they are inexpensive. I own about 5-6 pairs and they have served their purpose.

I"m looking to branch out and buy more sleeker shoes, but I won't spend $500 on a pair of shoe (Carmina) in my current state. I have other priorities and it's simply financially irresponsible for now.

I'm looking at Meermin or https://philipmercertoronto.com/ this guy.