1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

PSA: In case anyone wasn't aware. Tomorrow is a 30% off sale for Brooks Brothers Corporate Members, but even better than that is the 40% off sale that quietly started last Friday or Saturday. It's 40% off all suits and sport coats. It was supposed to end today, but will be extended about another week.

I wasn't aware of their "Suiting Essentials" program, to which the 40% off also applies. They will make you a suit in any fit (Madison, Regent, Fitzgerald or Milano), in one of a number of basic cloths, and you can select the size and certain features. It will be 1/2 canvased, but made in Thailand. The normal price is about $715.

So for about $430 (after the 40% off) I'm having them make me a tan cotton poplin suit with a side-vented Fitzgerald jacket with patch pockets along with matching Milano fit trousers with no belt loops (with brace buttons). It should be ready in 2 or 3 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  2. stanchri

stanchri Well-Known Member

That's a good price considering what MTM runs at BB. Is this going to be made to 1818 standards, thus the half canvas construction?

3. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. Just ordered.

1 person likes this.
  4. NickInTO

NickInTO Well-Known Member

This is more SW&D, but a PSA nonetheless - local Toronto brand 18 Waits is having a pop-up sale in a tiny shop on Ossington (just north of Queen on the west side of the street). There were t-shirts from $20, shorts were $60, pants seemed to be about $100. Shirts were around $150.

5. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

I've been today to pick up some stuff from Antonio's alterations shop on Bloor. It was simple enough so decided to try Antonio, and my usual tailor too much out of the way. Anyways, Antonio really knows what he is doing - recommended.

Now, while I was there, I spotted AMAZING green check Kiton sport coat sitting on Antonio's sewing machine. C'mon guys, admit, whoes jacket it was? :)

6. adelaidesky

adelaidesky Member

If you do go for Ivey then make sure you join the Western Investment Club. I'd rank them as the 3rd best undergraduate student-run fund in Canada behind UBC PMF and Queen's QUIC.

7. Jaackytung

Jaackytung Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for purchasing quality ties in Canada? Trying to build my admittedly weak collection right now, but don't wish to be beat up by duties, taxes and the exchange rate right now... Any suggestions are welcome!

8. Cityplace

Cityplace Well-Known Member

This is tough one - look for Harry Rosen sales - especially if you're okay with 3' width ties. For me, I really need at least 3.5" width, and they're increasingly hard to find any of quality...

9. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Harry Rosen outlet for sure. Will come out cheaper than ordering from the US in many cases.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  10. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

You all seeing strange ads on the forum not related to men's clothing? Like Dr. Oz face cream ads?

11. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Well-Known Member

I would message @LA Guy about any weird ads you see. I know I've had some strange video ads play in the past for me.

12. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Guys, what can I do when Canada Post messes up the delivery. Bought a pair of Meermin from a member here from NYC. Tracking says it's delivered today but funny thing is that I wasn't home and my mailbox is letter-sized and cannot take parcels. Parcels are always redirected to my local PO but the tracking now says delivered. I'm sure it's either Canada Post that messes up or the address on the parcel is wrong.

13. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Also, there's a pair of John Lobb double monkstraps in Tan at Nordstrom Vancouver on sale for $1000. Size 7.5 or 8 as I remember.

14. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

Did Canada Post leave a note on your door about where to pick it up? If not you may be SOL'ed especially if that other party accepted your parcel. Did Canada Post's website indicate that it was at least delivered to your city? Best bet would be to call Canada Post ASAP to see what's up. And contact the seller to confirm the shipping address they used.

Hopefully everything works out for you.

15. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Check your PO anyways. I have got PO notifications 7 days after I picked up the parcel. Now I just check online and it it doesn't show recipients doorstep, I go to the PO

16. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Yes, I checked with the sender and the address is correct. The tracking says it was delivered but problem is that there is no way it can be because there is no buzzer or bell at the door and the mailbox hole is tiny. I always get my parcels from my PO but the status will say "Ready for Pick up at PO". This time it just says "Delivered"

17. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

Did you check your PO? The status/message could be incorrectly entered. Technical glitches/human error happen all the time. Hopefully it's waiting there for you.

18. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

I did with one. None was there. But there is another nearby PO that sometimes gets my parcel as well so I'm gonna check tomorrow.

19. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Well-Known Member

Similar situation happened with me using USPS, the tracking just stopped at one point, it didnt say it was delivered, it just never updated and never moved. Contacted USPS and they told me I had to wait a month before they could declare it lost. They ended up cutting me a check for it. Not sure what you can do if the listed address is correct and they just delivered it to the wrong address. Hopefully it works out for you though!

20. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

Also, it sometimes takes a day for the PO to receive the package that the postman/woman couldn't deliver. It often says on my delivery notice slip that I can pick it up at so and so PO, tomorrow after 1pm.