• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chambertin

Reaction score
totally off topic, but if there are anyone here that's huge into cooking, where (or how) do you guys sharpen your knives?

tried a couple of things to no avail. looking for recommendations.

TIA

Sharpen or hone? My chef's knife is from Hacher & Krain and he showed me how to hone it with a honing steel. I have it two years and not needed to sharpen it yet.

Because I bought my knife there, when it does need sharpening, he'll do it for me though he has encouraged me to take a class on it at Lee Valley (I'm pretty sure that was the name of the place).

jl9377

Reaction score
Hey Toronto SFers, since venturing into the menswear world I was wondering are there any little known brands/companies that don't get too much exposure at least in Toronto that you guys would recommend checking out. For example, I love the Italian company Eleventy and I saw Saks in New York just started carrying them in September and the Bay (only Eaton) looks to be carrying it starting the SS16 season. Also my first post here so hope to learn lots
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Cityplace

Reaction score
For the knife people, after some years of free-hand sharpening on stones to devices that set the angle for stone sharpening, I finally settled on a Chef's Choice 15/20 degree electric sharpener. I'll admit I was somewhat trepidatious putting my Misonos through this thing, but the results are fantastic. No regrets whatsoever.

Second this - the whetstone route is nice, but time consuming and messy. The Chef's Choice sharpener is fast, easy and the results are totally acceptable unless you're a hardcore sushi slicer.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
totally off topic, but if there are anyone here that's huge into cooking, where (or how) do you guys sharpen your knives?

tried a couple of things to no avail. looking for recommendations.

TIA

I'll say that I know squat about cooking - my talents lie on the consumption side of that equation.

I have owned a few knife sharpening contraptions over the years, but never warmed to them. I kinda feel that when you learn to sharpen a knife on a stone, you know how for good.

orig.jpg

But hey, I'm dealing with field knives that hold an edge for a good long while. If I had to deal with a pile of kitchen knives with super-thin edges that got dull very quickly I'd probably be wide open to buying a machine where I shove 'em in dull and pull 'em out sharp.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the conversation on CookingForum - I mean StyleForum :D

But it looks like the dollar is going to crash below 70 cents soon. Is it going to affect purchases this year for you guys?

I'll probably be doing more spending at the outlet now.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the conversation on CookingForum - I mean StyleForum :D

But it looks like the dollar is going to crash below 70 cents soon. Is it going to affect purchases this year for you guys?

Will be buying from Europe.

Cityplace

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the conversation on CookingForum - I mean StyleForum
biggrin.gif

Definitely - having said that, amazon.ca really has been picking up it's game and seems to have vastly expanded its selection. I've found a few items actually cheaper than the US equivalent - but we'll see how long that lasts.

Any 'frivolous/nice-to-have' US dollar purchases are strictly on a one-off basis for now...

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are your favourite sites? Can they ship via national post?

I have been recently hit with Saint Laurent bug, big time. Went to Vegas and since I won some cookies, I purchased some denim and boots there.

After doing some research on SF, prices from euro sites like luisaviaroma are a bit more down to earth vs U.S based sites.

Lucky for me, I've completed my Edward Green collection last year and have bunch of Carmina shoes that are collecting dust lol.

I also use my US mail address (CBI USA) and collect my items since I'm an hour from the border and also have my US proxy who helps me out.

Just booked another trip to Vegas again :). I hope by June our dollar will gain some strength.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, that just means I'll be very selective with what I purchase or I just won't buy ****.

Most things "clothing" wise are obvious wants and not needs

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been recently hit with Saint Laurent bug, big time. Went to Vegas and since I won some cookies, I purchased some denim and boots there.

After doing some research on SF, prices from euro sites like luisaviaroma are a bit more down to earth vs U.S based sites.

Lucky for me, I've completed my Edward Green collection last year and have bunch of Carmina shoes that are collecting dust lol.

I also use my US mail address (CBI USA) and collect my items since I'm an hour from the border and also have my US proxy who helps me out.

Just booked another trip to Vegas again :). I hope by June our dollar will gain some strength.

What is your shoe size? I wouldn't mind adding Carminas.

Chambertin

Reaction score
I'll say that I know squat about cooking - my talents lie on the consumption side of that equation.

I have owned a few knife sharpening contraptions over the years, but never warmed to them. I kinda feel that when you learn to sharpen a knife on a stone, you know how for good.

But hey, I'm dealing with field knives that hold an edge for a good long while. If I had to deal with a pile of kitchen knives with super-thin edges that got dull very quickly I'd probably be wide open to buying a machine where I shove 'em in dull and pull 'em out sharp.

From what I understand, it's no bueno to put a good knife in one of those machines. Automatic sharpeners are good for cheaper knifes is what I've been told.
I have a Sabatier 'K', the original chef's knife and I use it all the time, and have yet to sharpen it. However, I use a proper cutting board, and don't cut anything I shouldn't with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics