1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Also, Magic Tailor (across from the Eaton Center) has been consistently good for me. I just picked up a suit that had pants hemmed, waist let out, and sleeves drastically shortened (with non-working buttons) for $60.

The only part I wouldn't recommend is working buttonholes. They're fine, and operational, but they have to send them out and they aren't as densely woven as other working buttonholes I have. The price is good ($50), but I wouldn't bother.

2. ADub

ADub Senior member

I've used Xavier to take in the sides and shorten the sleeves on a sport coat with functional buttonholes. The total was $115, and that's because I asked for the sleeves to be shortened at the opening instead of the shoulders. It's pricey if you ask me but I'm happy with the work.

I dropped off another similar sport coat at Nikos in Yorkville last weekend. Same operations for $65 so I'll compare the two to see if there is any difference in the result or workmanship.

3. gs77

gs77 Senior member

I use guy named Pablo that works from Ermanno Clothing (Yonge & Lawrence), and he has good eye and magical hands. Don't care for fancy buttonholes, so can't comment, but he does magic with proportions and silhouette.

Just picked some stuff this week:
    - Jacket - shortening the lenght 1 inch, shortening sleeves (from hem), taking in waist.
    - Jacket - finishing the sleeves (shortening and adding workong buttons), taking in the waist and moving buttons a bit (this one is DB...)
    - 2 pairs of trousers - taking in the waist and hips (I lost some weight, hurray!)

All came down to $250.

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Went to Saks at Sherway yesterday. Such a disappointment. The shoes seemed decent enough and many were in the "affordable" $300 to $400 price range but other than that just reminded me why I hardly shop at malls anymore.

Maybe Nordstrom will be better...

5. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

The Sherway Holts has a pair of Berluti chinos reduced from $995 to $197 and a good run of E Zegna SCs at $670 ish.

Can confirm that the Saks is underwhelming. Nice Charvet shirts for anyone with $700 laying around.

6. gs77

gs77 Senior member

This always puzzled me. I never saw anyone in Sherway that looks like he would drop $700 for a shirt. I mean, I understand there are people who couldn't care less what something costs, but crowd at Sherways looks more down to earth.

I mean that is shirt, for God sake!

7. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

I would reason Sherway attracts more of a discrete old rich demographic. Whenever at Holts or Harrys I always see people in the late 50s to 60s dressed in last century Tommy or what would seem like Jack and Jones drop 3k on a suit without blinking.

8. ADub

ADub Senior member

At first I thought you were talking about Berluti shoes so even at $995 it had my attention haha. Were there any 36 E Zegna SCs?

On the topic of shoes what's everyone's favourite shoe shop in the city?

9. ADub

ADub Senior member

For those in the market for Oris Mani in RBC place has them on sale for 20-40% off. For example you can get the Diver Sixty Five at 20% off so $1600 plus tax. There is also an Artix GT chronograph on strap at 40% off so $2600 plus tax.

10. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Leatherfoot. Hands down best shop in Canada.

11. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Yea there were some. Good run of sizes and Canali suit in a 36 if I'm not mistaken.

12. RaggedyDandy

RaggedyDandy Senior member

Anthony (Xavier) sends stuff out for surgeon cuffs as well. We had a chat about it when I picked my stuff up. He said the capital cost for the equipment is just way too high (and priced in $US, despite a Canadian distributor) to justify for the number of requests he gets. I also got the impression he can do them by hand if he had to, but doesn't do it often enough to recommend it as it's not really a specialty of his.

13. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Who are these people paying to add working buttons?
    Is it like rolling up your jeans to show the selvedge line?

14. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Surgeons? Roll the sleeves before they dig into meat, lol...

15. thevt429

thevt429 New Member

A bit off topic, but one of my feet is smaller than the other. I read on these forums that shoe tongue pads are the best alternative. I've been looking for them in the GTA and can't seem to find anywhere that sells them. I've checked a few shoe repair shops, Wal-marts, drugstores.

Was wondering if anyone knows where I would be able to find them locally before I go to my last resort and order some online.

Thanks in advance!

16. Spex

Spex Senior member

I went into Novelty once about a year ago or so asking about these. The guy behind the counter just threw me some few free.

1 person likes this.
  17. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

eBay is easiest and where I get them. I have a pair if you need them and can throw them in the mail.

1 person likes this.
  18. thevt429

thevt429 New Member

Awesome! I will check it out. Thanks! This is the one on Yonge and Adelaide right?

19. thevt429

thevt429 New Member

That would be great! Of course only if you don't need them. I'll need a bunch for future pairs of shoes since it seems I notice it on almost all shoes I wear (not including sneakers).

20. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Send me a pm if you can't get them at novelty. I too have low instep syndrome and am making it a point to buy lasts suited towards this.
    There isn't many of them.
    Another suggestion is to choose elongated lasts and size down half.