The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

Welcome!

Thanks for the tip; the main Holt's or standalone men's store?

What would your budget be? There's been a lot of discussion of places to buy shoes. I can't say I've seen snuff sude chukka's anywhere recently.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Not sure of your budget but Leatherfoot has EG Shanklins in a snuffish shade and they are freaking gorgeous.

3. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

I have an identical pair, though on leather soles, and can say they're wonderful boots. The suede that EG uses is excellent.

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The Bay does indeed now carry Loakes. But mostly the Loake Design diffusion line.

They had a few 1880 models priced at $525, which is the same as Woolridge shoes. I'd rather buy from Woolridge.

5. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

This was at the main Holt's. They had a rack of random denim in the men's section. Had some Acne in there as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. As much as I'd love the EGs my budget is closer to $400-500 max, the cheaper the better. I'm a 12 brannock, 11.5 Barrie last, if anyone has items of interest.

I'll check out Woolridge. I'm not convinced the Kemptons are worth $525.

On the Alden x J. Crew: I was able to purchase the Alden Waxed Longwing in Tobacco this summer for $320CAD. Must have been a mistake on the site because all Alden is now US only. REALLY wish I had picked up the chukkas at that time. I'm secretly hoping they screw up again, but it's been 6 months waiting. Funny thing is they shipped from within Ontario.

6. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Just remembered another tip, might benefit some of you with deeper pockets than me.

The J. Crew in Eaton's sells a pair of C&J black cap-toes (the Audley, I believe). I know for sure that they have a 10.5UK on the floor. You might be able to take advantage of the 30% off deals and snag them for a great price. Good luck.

EDIT: These are not on the JCrew website, that's why I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

7. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Pricing? And for your chukkas, check out Velasca, well under your pricerange.

8. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

I have a slightly used tobacco suede 5-eyelet Carmina chukka - a slightly lighter shade than snuff, in size 11UK. It's on a York sole (like a topy). The price would be right. PM me if you're interested.

9. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Thanks, I'll send you a PM.

I believe they're priced same as the Alfred Sargent offerings. Around $695 if I remember correctly.

Velasca's chukka looks great. Thanks for the recommend.

10. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

I picked mine up on the weekend. They're more like $420 after tax.

11. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Thats not bad. If someone buys my Carmina Jumpers, I'm interested

12. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

Do you know if they have smaller sizes?

13. thebeaches

thebeaches Member

What was the discount on these and any idea if it continues? As alluded to in my previous post, the BB sale pricing mystery seems impenetrable most of the time - can be quite frustrating

Thanks

14. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

As they're part of the Black Fleece line, they should have been 40% off as most, if not all, BBBF items are currently 40% off. (ask a SA to scan the items to get the price you'll pay as some apparently aren't aware of this going on)
    The sale will continue for BBBF items until they sell everything. They're discontinuing the BBBF line as Thom Browne isn't with them anymore. The BBBF on the female side got a new designer, though nothing in sight for the men.

15. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

40% on the BB BF shoes until they're all sold. Other BF items excluding shoes will go to 60% on boxing day + 15% kicker.

BB RBC location was a complete miss for me before on numerous occasions, it was like walking into Ferrari of Ontario dealership. I called them over the phone to put the shoes on hold, then went there to try them on and picked them up. Bruno was helpful and he took the time to explain the current/upcoming sales. I ran into 2 other SA who used to work at the Bayview location and they are good guys too.