The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. FrogTO

FrogTO Senior member

20% off your bill and there are racks that have an additional 40% (mostly on uninteresting Harry Rosen home brand)

However, stocks are depleted since this sale has been going on for more than a week (refer to a post a few pages ago).

Overall, you will probably find 1-2 nice pieces, (sadly I had to leave a nice orange knit EZegna tie) but it doesn't seem worth a trip unless you live in Mississauga.

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

3. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

I've been using a place on Mount Pleasant near Davisville called Eye Studio for glasses recently. He carries Salt and Masunaga and some other Japanese brands that I tend to like the look of. He spent a good deal of time repairing a pair of glasses my wife has that she did not purchase there and charged us nothing.

4. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Ming Chau on Spadina in Chinatown. They have a ton of Japanese frames (including Salt) as well as IC! Berlin if that's your cup of tea. Nice selection of Oliver Peoples as well. The pricing is good (for glasses) and the service is outstanding.

5. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Thanks @Coronaeus good tip. What's the general price point? I'm thinking those frames are probably closer to the $3-400 range?

@akoustas given it's in Chinatown, guessing the pricing is good. Surprised the service is (that's usually where it breaks down). Will check out.

6. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Yes the set-up is hardly anything glamorous, but at least you know you're just paying for what you want, rather than a bunch of smarmy associates offering little help. My wife bought a pair there and they probably spent an hour with her helping to choose a proper frame. Not pushy in the least either. When there was a delay sourcing the colour she wanted they gave her 6 months of contacts free.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

7. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

8. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

How do you guys determine if the glasses/frames from Warby Parker even fits prior to buying? They seem to be internet only in Canada.

9. Spex

Spex Senior member

Yeah

Yeah, it's a bit of a crapshoot. I basically looked for models that had the same measurements as were printed on a pair of glasses I already owned and fit well. You can always return them, but you'll have to cover return shipping.

10. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Yeah that's the crappy part. I'm in the US enough that it works for me, as Warby Parker now has a bunch of stores where you can try on everything.

Their other options, when they send you a bunch of try-on frames, is pretty sweet too. Add another one of the gripes on this thread (in addition to customs charges) being the lack of other options like that.

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hey guys,

BB just sent out more 40% off coupons!

12. Spex

Spex Senior member

I didn't get one. Who qualifies to receive this? I receive emails from them and hold a Corporate Discount Card...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

13. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Do you know if the option to have them send you try-on frames is available to Canadians? This would work for me however their website stipulates that it's USA only. Hoping perhaps that's out of date?

14. Spex

Spex Senior member

Not available to us Canadians.

15. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Yeah, that's the tough part. I just go by measurements and hope for the best. Returns are pretty hassle-free.