The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

@borbor
    haha. Is this why you are in the area? I was surprised to run into you at Leatherfoot. Let's see those G&G you left with. Pics please!!

2. borbor

borbor Senior member

3. FrogTO

FrogTO Senior member

Well, it was either the tassel loafers or the burgundy wingtip depending if you wear 11 or 7.5

4. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Yeah there doesn't appear to be any Brooks Brothers models there now. I know there were when I was looking a few weeks ago. Perhaps they sold out of everything already?

There are some Black Friday discounts on the main site, but pretty limited styles. Oh well, I didn't really need an excuse to spend more money on shoes. [​IMG]

5. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I bought a pair of SALT frames from Danforth Optical a few years back. When it came time to get new glasses last year (due to a changed prescription), I decided to simply replace the lenses in my existing frames. I liked them and couldn't find another pair that I liked more. Plus it probably saved me at least $200+.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Fair point. But I can't say I'm particularly in love with any of my existing frames.

7. Spex

Spex Senior member

There were a number of BB AEs on the Shoebank site for $99, and they were all still there on the morning of Black Friday. I was late to the party and tried calling closer to 9am Eastern (the store opened their lines at 8am). I couldn't get through. For certain there were lots of other people vying for those models. Looks like they sold out. The BB version of the McAllister wingtip in burgundy was in my sights! Oh well...

8. Spex

Spex Senior member

I bought some Warby Parker sunglasses online and the experience wasn't bad. Shipping was fast, but I needed to get the frames adjusted as they were bent. However, WP will give you up to a $50 rebate if you get them professionally adjusted and are charged. Just email them the receipt. Great service and nice glasses.

But the real deal is getting eyeglasses in Asia. They've caught on that there's a huge markup and seem to be able to manufacture and sell eyeglasses for a fraction of the price we pay here. On my last trip to Japan I bought this pair from a place called Zoff. I paid somewhere in the range of $35-$40 CAD for these, which yes, includes frames and lenses...and the eye test as well! Amazing value. My wife gets a new pair every time she goes back to visit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

I have 5 pairs of Warby Parker glasses, all have held up well. I've been wearing glasses for about 20 years, and the WP's have been my favourites in terms of price-to-quality. Plus, the customer service has always been great.

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

This is good info. Can you order from Warby Parker with your prescription filled or do you have to do it locally?
    My guy is 240 for lenses alone+ frame. Almost bought some Tom Fords a month ago, glad I didn't, these seem like much better value

11. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Warby Parker fills my prescription. Last time I had an eye exam, I just asked the optometrist to write down the information that WP needed.

12. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Figured the guy named @Spex would have a good lead on glasses. Like the look of those frames. And if you got those for under CAD50, that is an amazing deal. Slash what think glasses should cost.

I'm a fan of Warby Parker. I have two pairs and they've held up well, though I notice they loosen on the sides easier than my better quality frames. Certainly good value for US100/ CAD150. So much better than going into an optical shop and getting something with a Hugo Boss/ Prada etc. label slapped on it. You know those are POS.

I like Oliver People's, and they aren't super over-priced (though creeping to the $500 price point), and I do notice they last better than my Oliver Peeps. Even though I rotate them all as much as my suits.

I was looking for something in that mid-range, good quality/ good price point which is my schtick. I was thinking some Garrison Leight's, which have some nice designs and in the $3-400 range.

13. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

I also checked out the Shoe Bank and couldn't see anything else for the $99. Thank god - I didn't need to spend any more and blow the budget on those.
    Would have been a sweet deal tho.

14. FrogTO

FrogTO Senior member

Harry Rosen Outlet didn't have too much quality stuff but I found a few nice pieces in the rough:

1. Tom Ford grenadine navy tie for 100$
    2. Navy Canali MTM suit for 600$ with some nice details like surgeon's cuff (A guy the exact same size as me ordered this suit and didnt pick it up so they had it marked way down)

Very happy with my finds but I don't advise going...

15. Spex

Spex Senior member

Anyone have any insight on the Harry Rosen Outlet's usual boxing day offers?