Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. mister_nostyle

mister_nostyle Well-Known Member

OK thanks. But this implies buying shoes online, which is something I don't do. I have too much of a problem with shoes as it is, so I don't buy without wearing first.

I might just go for a lower in Johnston and Murphy item due to the cost. I want to wear it for some events that are in the Winter months so I would be leery about some really nice shoe, even with galoshes. Getting formal looking boots would be even another expense I don't want right now.

2. Spex

Spex Senior member

If you can somehow sign up for a BB Corporate Card online and get the code, you print it out and bring it with you to the store. Even if it was only to be used online, you then go to the store, try shoes on, and then go home and buy them online. I see nothing wrong with that.

3. Spex

Spex Senior member

Calf leather doesn't tell you whether it's full grain, corrected grain, ect..expcet for that it originally came from a calf. Also, most of the shoes you see at Aldo and The Bay have glued on soles. I think that some of the Mr. B shoes Aldo sold were Goodyear welted, but I'm not sure. What are the considerations those looking for shoes under $250 are looking for? Style? Quality of leather? Construction? You can't have it all (at least not at retail price) for such a low price.

4. thebeaches

thebeaches Member

Yes you can print out the corporate card online in less than 5 mins to take to the store today. Their $500 AE's are then $350 (today) which I would favour over anything at Aldo and most at the Bay

When I was at BB yesterday fitting the 2 suits he had put aside for me for the suit sale starting tomorrow, he told me there was a 4 shirts for $239 sale next Friday the 27th. Better deal than the 30% off today if you are after shirts.

I also had on one of their extra slim fit shirts on for the fitting and he pointed out that it was still too big (which I knew but that's as slim as they get). He said they can tailor in the fit for $8 a shirt so I will do that for the ESF ones I already have and the ones I get next week.

Thanks

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The Bay now carries Church's. They had some of the polished binder models and some of the better leather models.

6. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Can you say which ones please?

7. othertravel

I think the bay street location at union station hasn't raised some of their prices yet.

8. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

That's my local one and they've been $510 for at least 3 weeks.

9. othertravel

Ah ok. They caught up then.

10. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I would second checking out BB during their 30% or 40% discount days (although I don't know if there will be another one before the end of the year). I bought a shirt and tie today with the 30% off. I meant to check their shoes as well but totally forgot. The price of their non-iron shirts has gone up as well, but I guess that was to be expected.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

11. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

+1 for Samuelsohn. I own both OTR and MTM and they are of high quality. Unless you want to be wearing a different suit every few months, it may be worth it to bite the bullet and spend the money for 1 or 2 good quality suits. Assuming they are staple colours/patterns/etc., you can get years and years of use out of them.

And if you wait for a promotion at Harry Rosen, etc., the MTM cost is pretty much the same as the regular cost of an OTR suit. That's what I've done in the past.

12. mister_nostyle

mister_nostyle Well-Known Member

OK thanks for the info. It's too bad I was at work until after 9PM, so no corporate discount for me, at least not this time around.

13. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I think it was mentioned earlier, but another option is the Allen Edmonds Shoebank. It sells discounted factory seconds (i.e. brand new shoes with slight imperfections) as well as discontinued styles. They also have regular sales (similar to the regular Allen Edmonds website). Even with shipping and currency conversion, it can be materially cheaper than buying at retail in Canada: http://www.shoebank.com/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

14. thebeaches

thebeaches Member

So you order from a particular store and the store sends them vs a central system? When I selected a shoe it located a store that had them

15. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

You can either email them or call directly. Calling will be immediate, however I emailed and got a call back within like 15 min tonight on a pr I saw for $157US
    Shipping would be $35 with FedEx, and you are on the hook for taxes. Should be duty free as they are made in US

You provide your shipping and payment info over the phone, they take the order down and will only process the order once you send them an email at which point they will reply with the order confirmation.

All in should get you at around $300 for the above amount I was looking at if you plug in 1.36 exchange

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015