The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. kasper007

kasper007 Senior member

+1 for suitsupply. they haven't adjusted their prices to account for the "new" canadian dollars yet so pricing is very, very good at the moment!!!

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

That's because our dollar sucks and they are EU based. They shouldn't be going up.

3. dangoodbaum

dangoodbaum Member

4. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

+1 for the Art Gallery of Ontario. It has a nice smatttering of styles and mediums.

I've never had dim sum, so I can't help there.

Bosk is really nice for dinner, but expensive.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Haaa, funny, of the entire list, that was one of only 2-3 listed that wasn't from my own list. My gf sent me a list a while back and I noticed the location and added it, so haven't personally been there, which makes sense.

6. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Table 17 was a nice little spot that didn't attract the attention of some other Leslieville restaurants, but never disappointed me. It seemed like more of a local hang-out, but I may be wrong. I'm very curious to see the new spot at Jilly's when it opens.

In any case, east end info might not be terribly relevant since I believe the OP is more interested in staying near downtown. I always recommend that visitors explore Toronto's neighbourhoods a little, though, since a great deal of the city's appeal is in the unique character of these little boroughs. And Leslieville, for example, is just a short (15 minute) streetcar ride away.

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

To be honest while I really enjoy living in Leslieville I don't think it offers much to a tourist on limited time, especially this time of year. Maybe a stop by Riverdale park for the view? The restaurants are nice and the people are friendly but it's not much of a "visit".

8. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Thanks for the Suit Supply suggestions. I dropped by this morning and was helped by Derek. I was able to find exactly what I was looking for. The Napoli in 42R, in plain navy for $529, fit me perfectly and didn't require any alterations whatsoever. That's a first! :slayer:

I'll be going back.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I figured if they were doing St. Lawrence on a saturday morning and over there already, then could head east to distillery and then over to leslieville and beaches for the afternoon evening as one potential cluster. The others are yorkville+rosedale, and the others are west side either along bloor or dundas/college or further south along queen/king including kensington/chinatown. Just depends if they want food, clothes, architecture, arts, high end (ie upper crust :D) or 'alternative', etc.

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Crown Princess on Bay for dim sum.

Make reservations as it gets super busy.

11. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

+1. Best place in Toronto, downside is pricey for dim sum.

12. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

MC mentioned the Bata shoe museum in his list. As much as people may laugh, it's actually a decent museum for anyone who is interested in shoes and shoe history. In addition to their permanent collection, they tend to have a couple rotating exhibits at any given time. Another bonus is that it's a small museum so you can probably get through most of it in 90 minutes or so.

Of course, I'm somewhat biased as my wife did her practicum there when in teacher's college.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

13. Jaackytung

Jaackytung Member

Hi there gents,

A number of my shoes have gone through the misfortune of meeting the rain we've been getting the last few weeks. As a result some of them are close to or already require a resole. B. Nelson is very well recommended but I would prefer to explore my local options first. Who would you guys turn to?

14. Deoraby

Deoraby Active Member

I've used both Novelty and the chap situated underground between the Bay and Holt Renfrew on Bloor. Both did a good job but i prefer to deal with the underground chap.

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Dunno who B nelson is but my coworkers have used Novelty and they had no complaints. I've only bought shoe polish and laces from them