The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Five or six years ago it was accurate to say that Toronto had no decent Mexican food. But things have improved and there are now a few decent spots. El Catrin in the Distillery District is also good, though they can be inconsistent.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

This thread is making me very......... hungry.

3. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Those places are all fine, correct to say the range of Mexican has improved over the last three years and I do like the food and atmosphere at Wilbur. Not knocking it. But I don't think it's fair to say that's as good as anything you'd get in Cali or most of the US (at least the places I've been).

I don't say that to trash the Mexican, just I wouldn't recommend it for a visitor which was how this whole post started. If someone was visiting, I think the Thai, Korean and Indian maybe even add Ethiopian or something else "ethnic" are really well done, and compare to anything else you'll get in North America.

Vietnamese I love, but only a couple of places I think are worth recommending - Pho Hung and Pho Tien Thanh. Anyone got any others?

4. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Same here, new Sushi joint opened up. I'm out of here in 20...

The mention of Chinese food and the thread hits all time post highs in 24 hrs.... Go figure.

5. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Golden Turtle is good on Ossington, could be a nice stop in the neighborhood but there are other compelling domestic cuisine options in the area.

The issue with Mexican is that whatever is open in Toronto is a overpriced and over hyped for what is essentially street food. There are some excellent small shops hidden away (in Kensington market for example) owned by Mexicans that are quite pleasant and authentic. I'd agree that none hold a candle to what's available in the U.S.

6. borbor

borbor Senior member

sw corner of spadina and dundas, slightly west of spadina, on dundas. Forgot the name, but really. Good Viet food

7. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Thank you all, gentlemen, for all of your culinary/gustatory suggestions. The live-in food critic (a.k.a. my husband) is fond of Thai and Vietnamese cuisine as well, which he maintains is better in NYC than is comparable Chinese food. We have more than enough options from which to choose, even limiting ourselves to downtown for all of the above, and our hotel seems to be not far from Chinatown downtown.

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Here's my data dump, though an edited version of the list... I didn't include any casual menswear on these lists... And no need to argue, but I'm open to adding ideas or if you think something is trash then lemme know. Just a random collection of ideas

Rosedale:
    Menswear and Related Stores: Want Les Essentials,
    Food/Beverage: Harvest Wagon, LCBO Summerhill (worth checking out!), Rosedale Diner

Central:
    Menswear and Related Stores: Yorkville area - Nicolas, Salvati, Leatherfoot, Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen, Suitsupply, Loding. (there are plenty of other places but they’re mostly casual/street wear and more spread out in different areas. If you’d like these lists I’d be happy to send them)
    Bars/Restaurants O.Noir - Eat in the dark, the usual places like One, Caren’s Wine Bar, Sassafraz, etc.
    Things to See / Do: Bata shoe museum

Downtown:
    Bars/Restaurants: The Gabardine (Bay at Eaton’s center), Ki, etc. I’m sure the guys know of more places around, I don't work down there.
    Things to See / Do:CN Tower / Rogers Center, Hockey Hall of Fame, Second city live comedy, Steam Whistle Brewing tour, Air Canada Center, Design Exchange, Fort York, Canadian Opera, Gardiner Museum

West Side (Queen/King/Dundas):
    Things to See / Do: Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), Mirvish plays + entertainment district, Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art
    Bars/Restaurants: Ossington Corridor - Bar Isabel (797 College, Spanish Tapas), Pizza Libretto (Italian), Bang Bang (IceCream), Bellwoods Brewery (Patio, Tapas), Golden Turtle (Pho), Salt Wine Bar, Rock Lobster
    Kensington / Chinatown – general walk around. 7 lives tacos, plenty of good coffee and dessert places.
    King West – bars/restaurants/design studios
    Queen West – clothing stores and alternative areas. Nadege Bakery, Trinity Bellwoods Park, a few good burger and cupcake places. Spadina/Queen Bahn Mi Boys. Roy Thompson Hall / Symphony Orchestra
    Dundas West – various cafes, clothing stores, restaurants, including Monacle store. Little Portugal

East Side (South):
    Walk around Leslieville + Beaches /waterfront
    Bars/Restaurants: Table 17 (French, 782 Queen EAST), Ruby Watchco (daily menu), Bonjour Brioche (brunch)
    St. Lawrence Market (Saturday Mornings), Sultan’s Tent (Moroccan)
    Distillery
    Menswear and Related Stores: Got Style, various boutiques including art
    Bars/Restaurants Soma – Mayan Hot Chocolate, Balzac's coffee

East Side (North):
    Danforth (Bloor East) – Greek town to walk around or eat at night

Middle of nowhere - Edward's Gardens

General list of restaurants from the Toronto discussion thread:
    Lee (Susur Lee), L'Unita, fressen, torito, Ki, Lee, Chiado, Lai Wah Heen, Barberian, Cowbell, Sotto Sotto, Terroni, Gilead , Zaffron, Shomal, Delux, Mildred’s Temple Kitchen
    Canoe Restaurant & Bar, Splendido, Scaramouche Restaurant, Auberge du Pommier, George, Colborne Lane, TOCA by Tom Brodi, Nota Bene, Cava Restaurant, Brockton General, Union 72, Noce Restaurant & Bar, Adega, Zucca Trattoria, Terroni, Pizzeria Libretto, The Hoof Café, Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse, Chiado Restaurant, The Harbord Room, Rodney's Oyster House, Starfish Oyster Bed & Grill, O'Mei, Sushi Kaji Restaurant, Kaiseki Sakura, Zen Japanese Restaurant, Guu Izakaya, Crown Princess Fine Dining, Lai Wah Heen, Mengrai Gourmet Thai, Pho Tien Thanh, Xe Lua, Pho Pasteur, Pho Dau Bo, Amaya The Indian Room, Little India, Julie's Cuban Restaurant, Messini Authentic Gyros Restaurant, Athens Pastries Pies, Gandhi Roti, Bacchus Roti Shop, New York Subway, Patrician Grill, The George Street Diner, Mars Food, Aunties and Uncles, Senator Restaurant, Dangerous Dan's Diner, The Stockyards Smokehouse & Larder, The Fish Store & Sandwiches, Diana's Seafood Market, St. Lawrence Market (Carousel Bakery), Kensington Market, Farmers' Market at The Stop, Dufferin Grove Park Farmers' Market, Windsor Arms Tea Room, Greg's Ice Cream

9. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Wow, nice overview.

One correction on the east end. Table 17 has closed since the owners are moving into the old Jilly's space. Other good and varied options are Ascari, Ceili Cottage (pub), La Carnita, Aft, Il Ponte, Dangerous Dan's, Lady Marmalade.

10. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Looking for a new suit or two and I need some budget friendly suggestions please. Looking for a slim fit (for a not so slim guy). I have suits from Brooks Brothers and Harry Rosen (at the top end of my budget) down to Ben Sherman (at the lower end) as well as J. Crew. I'd really like to find something in the $500 range and would appreciate any suggestions on where to buy locally. I work in the Bay/Adelaide area.

11. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

Tien Thanh is great, but I can't say I think Pho Hung lives up to the hype.

12. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

Suitsupply or Spier & Mackay. The former is in Yorkville and the latter is in Mississauga.

13. TurboTropic

Thanks. I will look into them.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  14. TurboTropic

42/43R