1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

I love TZ flat waxed laces. They do round also, google TZ laces, tons of lengths and colours. Very happy with mine.

2. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

Hell yeah - those are great.

I didn't want to be right - by any means. was just browsing website and most everything I saw had leather soles. I did find the selection of rubber soled was always smaller in the dress boot category, but I'd buy any of those. Those Carmina's and the G&G as amazing. Like, making the picture of your shoes my desktop background amazing...which is totally weird, but damn those are nice.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Distinguished Member

I have nothing to recommend for winter boots but have to say Roger my man wowser that's just an amazing collection of boots there. Truly beautiful stuff!

4. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

@RogerP has literally every boot I'm look for. So great.

What size shoe are you now? If you're selling...

5. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Quote:Lol! That's ony weird out in the world. In here it is totally normal.
    Quote:UK9 for the most part, but nothing for sale at the moment.

6. upr_crust

upr_crust Distinguished Member

FYI, my husband and I will be visiting Toronto for the first time (for both of us) from the 7th to the 10th of November, staying downtown. Any suggestions as to things to do/places to visit/ restaurants/ etc. would be appreciated - PM me. Particular attention would be paid to good Chinese dim sum (my husband is ethnically Chinese, and quite the connoissieur of dim sum).

7. RogerP

^^^^ Excellent! I hope that others will chime in with dim sum recommendations - I have indulged only occasionally.

8. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior Member

Never find good dimsum in the downtown core, if you want authetic stuff that isn't inflated in price, go to any of the more well known place in Richmond Hill/Markham or Scarbs. Dragon Boat in Richmond Hill is one, Shangri La (a bit more upscale) in Markham is decent too. My default to go to place is either Deluz at McCowan and Finch or Fancy at Kennedy and 14th.

9. RogerP

Quote:Surely there must be something downtown? Scarborough and Markham are a bit of a haul for visitors to the downtown core unless they have a car.

10. borbor

borbor Senior Member

hit dragon boat on a weekday; not on the weekends. time could be better spent than lining up for an hour just to get in

11. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior Member

12. SirReveller

SirReveller Distinguished Member

Wha? The Chinese food up and down Spadina is right downtown and pretty darn authentic IMO...seeing as it's in "Chinatown" and all :p

UC: check out "New Treasure Restaurant" if some serious dim sum is what youre after specifically.
    150 Dundas St West. Green sign, downstairs, beside Starbucks.
    Inexpensive authentic and delish!

13. RogerP

Quote:And just a 5 minute walk from my office, Crusty .... just sayin....

14. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

Yeah it's authentic, but I think the argument is the stuff you get out in the suburbs is better. I think it's right.

And not to get off-topic, but in my experience and travels, I think Toronto has some pretty solid Thai food. So while you're looking for Chinese obviously, if you're here for a bit consider that (I can PM you some personal favorites).

15. emidyl

emidyl Senior Member

IF they're downtown, going up to Markham is unreasonable unless they are there to visit someone.
    I'm Chinese and grew up downtown. I realize that the "original" Chinatown we all think about no longer exists but authentic food can still be found.
    Now however good or bad it tastes is generally a matter of personal palate.

I see someone mentioned Treasure. Truly shocked that they still exist LOL, going on 30 plus yrs IIRC.
    I hear good stuff about Rol San.
    Lai Wah Heen may be expensive and average at times but nonetheless more than acceptable.

Markham need not be the only place for decent dimsum