The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I Picked up a pair of thinsulite insulated Bludtsone boots two years ago and they were great dealing with the past two polar vortexes.

2. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

Sorels all the way. Been wearing them for years and even use them with crampons for ice fishing.

3. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Use mine for ice fishing as well. Can't wait for the season to start!

4. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Sorels are absolutely what you want. Red Wings are my next best choice.

On the other hand if looking for something more work appropriate, I've narrowed down a few, I kind of like these ones:

http://www.jackerwin.com/products/chester-espresso-full-grain

http://www.mrporter.com/en-ca/mens/tods/rubber-soled-suede-chelsea-boots/570076

http://www.jackerwin.com/products/ellis-arabica-full-grain

I find rubber soles are essential. I'm okay with the relative warmth otherwise, but need the rubber for slip and insulation. Trouble is, not easy to find stylish shoes with rubber soles (since anything made well tends to have a good leather sole, at least Blake stitched).

5. tricky

tricky Senior member

I use Sorels for heavy duty (shoveling, playing with kids in snow etc), Red Wings as urban beaters (nowhere near as warm) and then various Carmina with tough leather (e.g. Kudu) with commando or daenite sole for work / dress.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Stylish, well made shoes and boots with synthetic soles are remarkably easy to find. Manufacturers well understand the practical benefits.

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I like Bogs as well, a bit lighter but a lot easier to slip on and off. Waterproof too!

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

You mean ice drinking? I do that.

For commuter beaters I have Blundstones, but they're cooked and no longer waterproof. Lasted many years though. I change at work.

For heavy snowfall some Helly Hansen from years ago. Stupid warm, and have a sole on them like you'd be headed up Everest.

9. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

What do you like then? I haven't seen a ton I that I guess fit into my definition of "stylish". Sure there are a lots with rubber soles, but these tend to be on the cheaper end. I'm talking about product on the level of Carmina, CJ, Alden, AE and their ilk.

10. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Also, I know you can have rubber soles put onto leather. I just do get lazy sometimes.

11. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:You are very much mistaken my friend. Everyone from Meermin to St. Crispin offers synthetic soles on their boots. Examples from my rotation alone (mostly present, some past): Allen Edmonds: [​IMG] Carmina: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Vass: [​IMG] Gaziano & Girling [​IMG] Edward Green: [​IMG] [​IMG] Yes - ALL OF THE ABOVE have full or partial synthetic soles, though you wouldn't neccessarily notice by looking at them. No aesthetic downside at all, and much improved durability and all weather traction.

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Hey Roger - where do you get replacement laces for your boots?

My Carmina jumper speedhooks shred mine with the quickness and I've been struggling to find suitable replacements locally.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Haven't needed to buy yet because most pairs came with a second set of laces. You may know this but if you don't titghten the laces through the speed hooks (i.e., pull the laces snug before your get to the hooks then just lay them around the hooks with minimal tension) they are much less likely to shred.

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Yeah - i'm down to my second pair on both. It's weird - it only happens w/ the Carmina speed hooks.