• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Rug and Carpet Thread

hws

Reaction score
Is a funny if colour of hair of ***** match colour of hair of head if hair of head is dye! Also is a funny if colour of hair of ***** is differing to colour of hair of head! :slayer:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is a funny if colour of hair of ***** match colour of hair of head if hair of head is dye! Also is a funny if colour of hair of ***** is differing to colour of hair of head! :slayer:

Quoting, to savor this post.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:slayer:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's almost like having Manouche back.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Minor update: I actually had my beni ourain appraised by three different shops in New York and all agreed it is authentic, and worth multiples of what I paid. The appraised prices ranged from $6,000 to $9,000. We paid $1,200.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you haul the rug from one shop to another? Did you have to pay for appraisal?

I found another UK company that makes custom rugs and for a 6 x 9' 100% wool rug they quoted me £3500 ($5664). Is this a reasonable price that you would spend on a new rug?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did you haul the rug from one shop to another? Did you have to pay for appraisal?

I found another UK company that makes custom rugs and for a 6 x 9' 100% wool rug they quoted me £3500 ($5664). Is this a reasonable price that you would spend on a new rug?

They looked at photos. Apparently, you can tell a lot from the knots. I did not pay for any appraisal. One made me an offer to buy it, contingent upon seeing the rug in person.

Thats like asking is X price reasonable to pay for a bespoke suit. Depends on the suit, depends on the rug.

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Minor update: I actually had my beni ourain appraised by three different shops in New York and all agreed it is authentic, and worth multiples of what I paid. The appraised prices ranged from $6,000 to $9,000. We paid $1,200.

Lol. Why don't you go back to that website and order 30 rugs, then resell them in NYC?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They looked at photos. Apparently, you can tell a lot from the knots. I did not pay for any appraisal. One made me an offer to buy it, contingent upon seeing the rug in person.

If they offered you 6k for it then I assume you sold it on the spot.

Your ability to google obviously adds tremendous value in the Beni Ourain carpet market.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our recent purchase is a new ~8'x10' Persian rug. The knot count is on the low end, but still hand made. All wool with a small amount of silk detailing that is nice when the light hits.

I'll post up some pictures of the vintage 5'x6' next. It was recently cleaned and had minor fringe repair.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thoughts on this rug I picked up recently?

I believe it ticks all of the boxes for authentic/good quality Persian or persian-style rug: real wool or silk (I did a burn test and it's definitely one or the other); fringes are a part of the foundation; back is as amazing as the front; irregularities across the rug; feel is "right".

It's 12' x 2.5'

But - no idea about age or origin. Any ideas?

[/quote]

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thoughts on this rug I picked up recently?

Yes.

All of this:
I believe it ticks all of the boxes for authentic/good quality Persian or persian-style rug: real wool or silk (I did a burn test and it's definitely one or the other); fringes are a part of the foundation; back is as amazing as the front; irregularities across the rug; feel is "right".
[/quote]

is irrelevant. You have a good looking and nice feeling rug. It works for the space, too.

All of that kind of means its a perfect rug.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten how awesome this thread was... thank-you for the necrobump.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads