• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Rug and Carpet Thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at these today

IMG_1703.jpeg
IMG_1706.jpeg

emptym

Reaction score
Did you end up getting those rugs or others for your new place, Gus? I really liked the top one. We've gotten some small ones from Etsy, shipped directly from the countries where they were made. So many to choose from, and you can often bargain:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you end up getting those rugs or others for your new place, Gus? I really liked the top one.

We passed on the top one that you liked as it had more of a pinkish cast in our home that didn't look right. We then bought one large hand knotted rug from Nepal for our living room which is being decorated in all neutrals. It has a bit of texture as well as a pleasing mix of color that compliments our furniture fabric choices and the warm tones of the wook, stone and walls of our home. More rugs to come but only after all of the furniture we ordered arrives sometime in January/February.

Once the rugs and furniture are in place I will then sell all of my vintage Navajo rugs and select 2-3 to mount on the wall. Will look for something to compliment the neutral look of our home but with some added "Pop" and strong graphics.

IMG_2288.jpeg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before leaving the Bay Area I spoke with one of the areas leading rug dealers, a 3rd generation Iranian rug merchant, who said that the market for classic rugs is down. "All of the younger buyers want more contemporary". I heard the same thing from the leading rug retailer in Santa Fe. This would be an excellent time to bargain on a classic Persian rug if you want one.

emptym

Reaction score
The one you got is really nice imo. I look forward to seeing pics when the furniture is all there.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one you got is really nice imo. I look forward to seeing pics when the furniture is all there.

Thank you. We are very happy with it.

Our TV/Den is an adjoining room which will also be decorated in simple neutrals. In that room we will use neutrals for a rug but with a graphic pattern for visual interest and variety.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finding that many of the better rugs from Iran have a much deeper pile, which I enjoy. But, due to the embargo, prices on the contemporary ones are high and little or no room for negotiation as the dealers know they wont be getting anymore until political issues change.

Here is a Gabbeh from Iran. Probably bringing this to the house on approval this week.

IMG_2495.jpeg

And here is an Afgahn Gabbeh. We like the small playful graphics.

IMG_2482.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw beautiful rugs at the Barney’s bankruptcy sale at 70% off. But they were still in the $3-5k range :eek:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw beautiful rugs at the Barney’s bankruptcy sale at 70% off. But they were still in the $3-5k range :eek:
Poorsod lives up to name

kashmir

Reaction score
those type of rugs, are they suitable to be directly sat/played on? or is it not recommended for some reason

ocooney

Reaction score
6A9ACCB5-4E80-4A34-B2A5-00E15A84E53D.jpeg

Anyone know anything about Navajo rugs? Inherited this one and it’s been in my garage for 20 years. Before I use it, trying to figure out if it is worth it to have an appraisal.

Did online research and it appears to be authentic, but can’t seem to figure out the age.

Thanks

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1394358

Anyone know anything about Navajo rugs? Inherited this one and it’s been in my garage for 20 years. Before I use it, trying to figure out if it is worth it to have an appraisal.

Did online research and it appears to be authentic, but can’t seem to figure out the age.

Thanks

It's very difficult to determine age without close inspection by an expert. I've seen many vintage Navajo rugs but have never seen this mix of patterns or colors. It does have the "lazy lines" in the weave which are an indication of the authentic Navajo weaving technique. If this is roughly 30" or so, this might be a saddle blanket woven for special occasions due to the bright colors (rugs from the 1920's and later tend to have borders). If it iss larger, it might be an early blanket. Early weavings were blankets (late 1800's) and had no borders.To estimate value and age, it would require closer, detailed photos of the weave and condition of the edges, then a flat shot showing how it lays and a list of its dimensions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads