• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

tomenugen

Reaction score
locals - last food spot that got you reminiscing?

for me -

TUSK - tasting menu.
PROUD MARY - kimchee avocado toast (haha don't judge)
REVELRY - pan fried rice cakes and fried chix

knathaniel

Reaction score
Love Proud Mary, slowly working my way through their menu.
Always down for Hat Yai - that fried chicken is incredible.
Been meaning to go back to La Moule. Not a poutine connoiseur , but their happy hour is a great deal.

Tried OK Omens the other week for their late night happy hour and it was pretty good. Meaning to go back and try their extended menu but I don't know if it will worth it at full price.

tomenugen

Reaction score
Love Proud Mary, slowly working my way through their menu.
Always down for Hat Yai - that fried chicken is incredible.
Been meaning to go back to La Moule. Not a poutine connoiseur , but their happy hour is a great deal.

Tried OK Omens the other week for their late night happy hour and it was pretty good. Meaning to go back and try their extended menu but I don't know if it will worth it at full price.

Haha I brought friends to Proud Mary, and we ordered everything. Most were hits, but the Smoked Salmon and Potato Hash are hard passes. I'll have to hit up OK Omens soon & Castagna one day.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
I like OK Omens more and more after each visit.

Sardinehead, Kachka, Tusk, Bar Casa Vale... Luce remains a favorite. Enoteca Noastrana/Nostrana Happy Hour. Gotta go back to Hat Yai.

Wasn't wild about Bar Norman. Looking forward to trying Bhuna.

knathaniel

Reaction score
I like OK Omens more and more after each visit.

Sardinehead, Kachka, Tusk, Bar Casa Vale... Luce remains a favorite. Enoteca Noastrana/Nostrana Happy Hour. Gotta go back to Hat Yai.

Wasn't wild about Bar Norman. Looking forward to trying Bhuna.

Sardinehead is so good. So quaint at night.

Moved away a few months ago from the 28/Burnside area and miss Luce and Guero. Been meaning to try Bar Casa Vale and Canard.

philie

Reaction score
As this has been a major resource around everything Portland: any cheap/ free places to park downtown Portland? All help is appreciated!

dixonmanor

Reaction score
The SmartPark's are city owned so charge only as much as a regular street meter, which isn't exactly 'cheap' or 'free' but they're typically better than private lots, and often more convenient.

There used to be tons of free parking down in Oldtown/Chinatown, but as development happens, meters happen.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
Sardinehead is so good. So quaint at night.

Moved away a few months ago from the 28/Burnside area and miss Luce and Guero. Been meaning to try Bar Casa Vale and Canard.

PSA that SardineHead is now open Mondays, with all-night happy hour.

OK Omens does the same thing on Sunday. $28 bottles, cheap snacks.

knathaniel

Reaction score
Anyone have a tailor they'd recommend? Just need some pants tapered, nothing too crazy

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
echoing how much i loved tusk when i went. I have spent quite a bit of time out that way... actually was just out there last weekend and was HOPING to find somewhere with an EG account. I know the Tanner Goods store used to have a little but no luck.

also for food i'd recommend Nayar Taqueria. my pahtnah works for Heart Coffee and I'm always getting that sent out this way. Sorry if any of this has been mentioned before. gotta lotta love for Portland.

tomenugen

Reaction score
no one in portland has an EG account anymore, but I AM selling a cool EG X Woodlands CPO Jacket that's on the bay right now. let me know if you're interested.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who has the best donut in town right now?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visiting Portland in February, was hoping you guys can help me out with recs.

Any recs on where to stay to be in walking distance of most things? Or is a lot of stuff spread out? Last time I stayed in the Pearl district but didn't really find anything too interesting there. Looking mainly for lively bars, good food, nightlife.

Sad to hear Little Bird Bistro closed last year. Plan on maybe checking out Tusk, kachka, Hat Yai, and going back to Toro Bravo. Any recs for Happy Hour, places to eat for lunch, or other places you highly recommend? Looking through the thread it seems like a lot of the good restaurants are on the northeast side?

Any recs for things to do (not hiking)? Explored Mississippi street last time and walked down the main street in I think the Sunnyside neighborhood (where Apizza Scholl's is) but it was raining hard so didn't really get to experience it. Thanks.

Last edited:

knathaniel

Reaction score
In terms of things to do outside of hiking, I find I mostly recommend just shopping and eating. I'm sure other people can think of things to do, but some recommendations for those two things would be...

Shopping:
Machus
Frances May
Index (if you're into sneakers)
Lizard Lounge (ok, not amazing)
Nakamuraya (opened recently, really small selection, but I think worth supporting)

Eating:
The ones you suggested, definitely (Hat Yai being my favorite)
Marukin or Afuri for ramen
Nongs
Han Oak
Pizza Jerk
Proud Mary (brunch)
Magna
Rose VL (pho, gotta go before they sell out)

Drinks/Happy Hour:
Rum Club
La Moule (fantastic happy hour right as they open)
Bar Casa Vale (only for hh)
Deadshot
Expatriate
Interurban (near a bajillion other things on Mississippi)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads