• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

knathaniel

Reaction score
I agree, I’m also not crazy about most things at Machus. But, their made-in-LA t-shirts (Machus brand) are great, and they now carry Kuon and Fujito, which are both phenomenal brands.

I have a friend that swears by their in-house stuff too so I guess I have to go give it a feel soon and see for myself. If they can keep picking up small/growing Japanese brands that would be pretty cool.

Y'all check out Nakamuraya? I don't know if there's still a physical location, but the one time I went in I was surprised to see small buys of Undercover and Phigvel. Looking at their site I can only hope that since they're now stocking Nanamica and Wacko Maria they're doing alright. Again though, it's sort of a modest selection.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that swears by their in-house stuff too so I guess I have to go give it a feel soon and see for myself. If they can keep picking up small/growing Japanese brands that would be pretty cool.

Y'all check out Nakamuraya? I don't know if there's still a physical location, but the one time I went in I was surprised to see small buys of Undercover and Phigvel. Looking at their site I can only hope that since they're now stocking Nanamica and Wacko Maria they're doing alright. Again though, it's sort of a modest selection.

Nope, never actually heard of that shop. Will check it out though!

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, I’m also not crazy about most things at Machus. But, their made-in-LA t-shirts (Machus brand) are great, and they now carry Kuon and Fujito, which are both phenomenal brands.
Funny, I was happy to hear they're carrying Kuon/Fujito and when I checked the site all their buys were black. Ha! No surprise really, but still amusing to me. I wish they carried something that I could get behind and purchase. But I will check out the tees the next time I'm around there.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just keep Huber's alive, guys, that's all I ask.
the cell phone dealer I worked for for like 6 years got 86d from Hubers. I don't exactly remember why just that they wouldn't let us book any corporate tables anymore

knathaniel

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the new(ish?) Snow Peak location on 23rd? Is the selection actually any better since there's more space? Also what are the chances they'd have any fleeces in stock?

dixonmanor

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the new(ish?) Snow Peak location on 23rd? Is the selection actually any better since there's more space? Also what are the chances they'd have any fleeces in stock?

It's meant to be a "flagship" store, and from my understanding is spread across multiple levels. I'd imagine they'd have plenty of inventory.... but I haven't been yet.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worked in the food "scene" here since the mid-90's, and it is def one of the things Portland does best. And these days, it seems like there are more and more options across many cuisines at all price levels, which I like.

I'm headed that way in a week and would love recs on food from anyone. It's been about 6-7 years. For reference I thought Tasty and Sons was great and the vibe (heard it's 'nicer' now) was good. Any opinions on Sugarpine? Doing a drive out that way and it looks solid.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
I'm headed that way in a week and would love recs on food from anyone. It's been about 6-7 years. For reference I thought Tasty and Sons was great and the vibe (heard it's 'nicer' now) was good. Any opinions on Sugarpine? Doing a drive out that way and it looks solid.

Sugarpine is great, but I saw on the 'gram that they're about to undertake a remodel and will be closed, so I'd double-check before I head out there. Other recent faves: Eem (still), Hat Yai, Someday PDX, Canard... Things still haven't quite "opened up" yet, so best to check for hours and/or reservation requirements before heading someplace.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cafe Rowan is great. Just recently had brunch there and was impressed.

Other good spots: Ya Hala, Luce, Fire on the Mountain (wings and beer), Eem, Meditteranean Exploration Company, Lardo, Besaw's. Coffee at Coava, Heart, Good Coffee, Barista, Roseline.

There are more... but, wander around, try stuff out.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning on heading to PDX at the end of the month, but my friends told me not to since there was a another lockdown...not the worst, but advised to visit later. Instead, I pivoted my trip to a couple days in Seattle. That said...

Since there isn't a dedicated Seattle thread, and Portland is in the PNW fam, any general recs for Seattle? what I have so far:

Shopping:
Blue Owl
Jack Straw
Division Road

Eating:
Taurus Ox
Kedai Mekan
Communion
JuneBaby

Bars:
La Dive
Navy Strength
Tavern Law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sugarpine is great, but I saw on the 'gram that they're about to undertake a remodel and will be closed, so I'd double-check before I head out there. Other recent faves: Eem (still), Hat Yai, Someday PDX, Canard... Things still haven't quite "opened up" yet, so best to check for hours and/or reservation requirements before heading someplace.

Thanks. I arrive the day before Sugerpine reopens so should be good. Will checkout the above recs. It's odd (refreshingly) to hear that you're still taking reasonable precautions because coming from Texas with the new CDC guidelines what has been "open for business" is now "open and masks totally up to you". The majority of us are still wearing but I think that is starting to shift.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
Other good spots: Ya Hala, Luce, Fire on the Mountain (wings and beer), Eem, Meditteranean Exploration Company, Lardo, Besaw's. Coffee at Coava, Heart, Good Coffee, Barista, Roseline.

There are more... but, wander around, try stuff out.

Luce remains the most underrated spot in town, especially for a long, wine-filled lunch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads